1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

WA6 v WA2 v Decco65 for HD800

1. BadNewsBisounor
    Hello everyone. I've been lurking on this forum for a couple months, and now that the upgrade bug is starting to itch, I come to you seeking advice. I've been using a HE-500 for the past couple of months either out of an old panasonic receiver (at home) or E17 when on the road. I love the sound, however, the HE-500 leaves a lot to be desired in terms of comfort, (I have a small head) especially when used for long listening sessions.
    I plan to purchase an HD800 in the coming weeks, but realize that I will need to up my amp game to get the most out of them. Looking down the line, probably in 6 to 8 months or so, I plan to invest in a pair of bookshelf speakers (Think Kef R300s or similar quality active speakers). Knowing that I want to make the most economical yet future proof purchase for my burgeoning home rig, which of the following amps makes the best purchase?

Case # 1 Peachtree Dac IT -> WA6 with Preamp upgrade -> HD800/(Bookshelf speakers in the future)
     I've heard that with the appropriate rectifier tube upgrade, the WA6 can hold it's own with the HD800. Anyone care to refute or confirm? I haven't been able to find much of anything about the WA6 as a preamp, but I'm very interested in hearing someones impressions.

Case # 2 E17 DAC (WA2 is already stretching my budget) -> WA2 -> HD800/(Bookshelf speakers in the future)
    I've heard nothing but good things about the WA2 as an hp amp and as a speaker preamp, so no concerns there. The issue with this solution is price and space, as it has a significantly larger footprint. Is it worth it to stretch my budget over the WA6?

Case# 3 Decco65 ->  HD800/(Bookshelf speakers in the future)
    Kind of a wild card solution. I have not been able to find much on how they are as an hp amp, but seems like it may be a great multipurpose solution for my hypothetical future rig.

Kind of a marathon first post, but i would really appreciate people's input. Where I live there is nowhere to audition this kind of equipment, so I'm pretty much going exclusively on word of mouth. Thanks!