WA5 or other amp into WOO WEE energizer - Best cable/connection?
Nov 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

SoundFreaq

Headphoneus Supremus
Having heard great things about the WEE scaling well with great amps, I thought I would start my foray into stats by powering them with my Liquid Fire + WEE. 

For those of you that have done this, and used your 1/4" out on your amp to go into the speaker taps of the WEE, what was the cable and connection you used/liked best?

Does anyone make a 1/4" to stereo banana adaptor? Would need to be 4 wire.

Thanks for your insight

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 13
The WEE works on speaker amps, not headphones amps (as I understand it).

The WA5 has speaker outs so it'd work, but your LF is no good here. :wink: At least I don't think it is. D:

EDIT: WRONG.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 13
I was able to get some clarification. I emailed Jack at Woo about it and he said the 4Watts of the LF is plenty. Driving from headphone amps is common. What I will need is a 1/4" male to stereo banana plug. Should sound quite nice from my research.

Edit: but it sure won't be a LL. that'll be the next step.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 13
Wow. Well forget me, you've got it covered. That's really cool...I bet a lot of people don't know that...or maybe I'm just dumb. 

See you tomorrow :wink:

Quote:
I was able to get some clarification. I emailed Jack at Woo about it and he said the 4Watts of the LF is plenty. Driving from headphone amps is common. What I will need is a 1/4" male to stereo banana plug. Should sound quite nice from my research.
Edit: but it sure won't be a LL. that'll be the next step.

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 13
No no, I really have no idea. Just trying to figure it out here. I just got the reply now from Woo. I learn the most from you guys here on the forum that know you're talking about. Learning as I'm going. I appreciate the reply and didn't mean to offend. Looking forward very much to tomorrow :)

Nov 3, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 13
I do pretty much as you outlined with a Manley 300b preamp.  A rat shack 1/4 inch banana, three leads, two for R and L and one for the common grounds, solder speaker wire to the generic jack, attach the output wires as if speakers to a Stax transformer box.

It tends to work with any type of preamp headphone output, but only well if there is power and voltage enough to make it cook.  The Manley has enough juice and sounds great this way with Stax Lambda or 507.

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
I'm kinda confused here about the WEE.  Speaker amps:  How many watts is recommended?  Will the WEE give me BHSE or LL SQ?  If not, what should I expect?

Hm, I was under the impression it only worked on speaker amps as well, but I suppose if a headamp can deliver the power it should work.

I believe a 3-watt minimum is required, but that's a best guess. Considering Jack said a 4-watt LF would be plenty.
BHSE or LL performance would be a freaking bargain. You gettin' one, prep? 

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Hm, I was under the impression it only worked on speaker amps as well, but I suppose if a headamp can deliver the power it should work.

I believe a 3-watt minimum is required, but that's a best guess. Considering Jack said a 4-watt LF would be plenty.
BHSE or LL performance would be a freaking bargain. You gettin' one, prep? 

If one is to get one of these for say $500 - then you have to spend 3 to 5K on the headphones (SR007 / SR009).  Whew..  

Then if I get a 5K headphone.  Hell, I'm going to want the BHSE or LL.  So  - No for now....

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

If one is to get one of these for say $500 - then you have to spend 3 to 5K on the headphones (SR007 / SR009).  Whew..  

Then if I get a 5K headphone.  Hell, I'm going to want the BHSE or LL.  So  - No for now....

Well, you could opt for one of the lower models. Do you even know if you like the Stax sound?

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Well, you could opt for one of the lower models. Do you even know if you like the Stax sound?

Hell yeah.  I just loved the BHSE / 009 combo.  It was really fascinating.  A totally different experience.  I found the BHSE / combo was on line somewhat to the HE6s.  But the 009 are a class up no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back