WA5-LE vs. RSA B-52
Mar 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dubselect

Head-Fier
I am searching for the best amp for HD800. I had Luxman P-1u but I sold it. P-1u was a very good amp but my headphone system was far away from what my speaker setup can do. That is why I sold P-1u and now searching for better amp.

My source has two outputs - one balanced and one unbalanced. My speakers are sitting on balanced output, so I will feed to haedphone amp SE output.
So the question is: do it worth to purchase B-52 if I will use only its unbalanced input?
That is why I am thinking about WA5-LE which has unbalanced topology.

And the second question is about WA5-LE dimensions. What is height of each unit? I saw it is 8,5 inches (21,6 cm). But does it include the height of tubes or not (I saw on the images that tubes can be higher than the amp itself)? My audio-rack's height is only 24 cm. So I am afraid that it is not enought for WA5-LE...

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 5
There is a good deal on a WA5-LE with extra (good) tubes on Audiogon (not mine).  I have a WA-22 and it sounds fantastic with HD800 on a balanced source.  I have not heard either of the other amps, so I am not any help in that regard.

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 5
the height should be referring to the amp without tubes since tubes come in different shapes and sizes. so yeah it wouldn't be enough.

check out the WA22.

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
There is a good deal on a WA5-LE with extra (good) tubes on Audiogon (not mine).  I have a WA-22 and it sounds fantastic with HD800 on a balanced source.  I have not heard either of the other amps, so I am not any help in that regard.

Thank you for the input but I am considering WA5-LE with all upgrades (including upgrade pot).

I have one question for you. Did you compare the sound of your amp using balanced and unbalanced input form your source? Was balanced input better?
B-52 is fully balanced too so it should be the same situation with it.

the height should be referring to the amp without tubes since tubes come in different shapes and sizes. so yeah it wouldn't be enough.

check out the WA22.

Thank you, but I heard that WA5-LE sounds noticeably better especially with HD800. Moreover it is balanced and I am afraid I can not use all its potentional through RCA input.
I have just checked some images of WA5-LE and found that thare are some tubes which sit lower than amp's transformers.

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 5
yes, the WA22 is a waste without balanced source/input (only using half the amp, and the WA6-SE is better in this case),  you could look into the WA6-SE or WA2 as well for the HD 800, though the WA5-LE is better...

i looked at some pics too, the 6sn7 are small, will not pass the top of the amp. u can always use some of the small gz34's for rectifiers and use the stock 300b cause they look small (though upgrades are obviously much better and open the amp alot more)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back