w5000 vs sa5000
Nov 20, 2008 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Anouk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone. I recently got my sony sa5000 headphone and I REALLY like the sound, especially because it has such a wide and deep soundstage. It is my favourite headphone so far, after the akg k701, the sony has more bass and detail, but the akg has better instrument separation, maybe an even wider soundstage and a very nice sparkly sound. I totally love headphones witha wide soundstage, but there dont seem to be too many of them! I heard the w5000 (current top model of audio technica) has even more detail then the sony and htat it has a pretty wide soundstage as well. Is there someone who has both phones and could do a comparison? Or are there maybe already comparisons between those two phones? I am especially interested in the bass, the sony has better bass then the akg but I have the esw10jpn now and that beats the sony, with regards to the bass. I also think I like a bit more emphasis on the midrange, which the esw10 has, but the sony does not, the sony seems to be totally neutral.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 28
Nov 20, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 28
...same links which I posted...
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then, ill be third :p

Sony MDR-SA5000
Audio-Technica ATH-W5000

to me, w5k sounds somewhat more neutral than sa5k.

Well, since Im still not sure if OP still doesnt understand what is the differences are, I'll repost it fourth time. Just in case.
biggrin.gif

Sony MDR-SA5000
Audio-Technica ATH-W5000

[size=xx-small]talk about spamming...
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 28
Hey
Hehehehe thanks for the help guns n girls! I thought the sony was KING of neutrality already! The sony has to be the most neutral, fast, precise headphone I have eer heard, and thats in a good way. Why am I not considering the a2000x? Well to be fair, I am! But it isnt out yet. I want some information on it first, and if I am lucky there will be some rich person who both owns the a200x and the w5000 who will be able to do a review on it first. And I am hoping that, once it is available, Hans from quables will hae a demo of the a200x in his store of course! Though he does not have the sony to compare the w5000 against, which is a pity. I am also thinkin gof the ad2000 but I am going to ask Hans if he has that one to listen/compare to the w5000. In fact I really want to hear all the at top dogs so the w5000 a2000x and ad2000. I will go read Iron_dreamers reiews now. Thanks for the links!
Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, Wow I am reading irondreamers w5000 reiew now and I am pretty shocked about the relatively low rating for the midrange and the low rating for the soundstage. I thought these were its strong points?

The w5000 has a response spike in the upper midrange (or lower treble depending on your definition), This creates a colored midrange which is love hate.

As for the sound stage, logically it was never going to be out of this world (size wise) owing to the driver distance and the closed nature of 'phone (Note in the review Iron Dreamer note the preciseness of the sound-stage and but also compares its size to things like the K1000).

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #13 of 28
Haha, SA5000 neutral? These headphones are seriously far from neutral in at least one noticeable frequency range (2-3kHz) but that's not a problem when you can use an equalizer. Other than that area, they do sound pretty neutral.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, Wow I am reading irondreamers w5000 reiew now and I am pretty shocked about the relatively low rating for the midrange and the low rating for the soundstage. I thought these were its strong points?

I'd say details, midrange, sounstage and realistic, textured bass are the strongest points of these phones. I've yet to hear anything approaching W5000 holographic soundstage, closed or open.

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 28
Hello Does the sony have a spike in its frequency range then? Or does it emphasize one area less then another? I wonder then if for example the dt880 or akg k701 are more neutral? To me the sony sounded quite neutral indeed, but that in itself does not say much...
Yes, I read the ratings on the w5000 before reading the reviews...
Greetings, Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back