W4S Dac1, or Anedio D1?
Jul 18, 2011 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

aurabullet

100+ Head-Fier
I will be powering one of the following dac's with a power amp. Now I'm wondering which one has the better synergy with LCD-2s coming from your guys' personal experiences?

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 5
I've had both DACs, but not side by side. Still have the W4SDAC1.

This is IMO and from memory, but here goes: the D1 has superior soundstaging in terms of width, instrument placement and depth. The DAC1 is more squashed in. There is depth and good placement, but the stage is narrower.

The D1 is airy with wonderful resolving treble, while the DAC1 has more weight/heft, though it still has beautiful treble: not quite the quality of the D1 (though this could be a personal preference thing). I think the bass on the DAC1 is very slightly boosted above neutral. D1 bass is superb, but not as impactful.

Both are very clean sounding and very detailed.

The deal-breaker for me was in the mids. IMO the DAC1 has a more natural sounding midrange. Human voices are more organic and fleshier. The D1 is ever so slightly lean/thin in the mids. Some people love that, but I didn't.

The D1 has an excellent inbuilt HP amp that produces satisfying tones through the LCD2. DAC1, of course, has no integrated amp.

D1 has a fantastic 30-day return policy as is well worth a listen.

Hope some of that may be helpful.

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I've had both DACs, but not side by side. Still have the W4SDAC1.

This is IMO and from memory, but here goes: the D1 has superior soundstaging in terms of width, instrument placement and depth. The DAC1 is more squashed in. There is depth and good placement, but the stage is narrower.

The D1 is airy with wonderful resolving treble, while the DAC1 has more weight/heft, though it still has beautiful treble: not quite the quality of the D1 (though this could be a personal preference thing). I think the bass on the DAC1 is very slightly boosted above neutral. D1 bass is superb, but not as impactful.

Both are very clean sounding and very detailed.

The deal-breaker for me was in the mids. IMO the DAC1 has a more natural sounding midrange. Human voices are more organic and fleshier. The D1 is ever so slightly lean/thin in the mids. Some people love that, but I didn't.

The D1 has an excellent inbuilt HP amp that produces satisfying tones through the LCD2. DAC1, of course, has no integrated amp.

D1 has a fantastic 30-day return policy as is well worth a listen.

Hope some of that may be helpful.

Thank you, great impressions exactly what I was looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back