W4r replacement recommendations
Sep 29, 2017 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

madams5000

New Head-Fier
Just to give a little background, been using various iem's for years, but unfortunately had very little time with my favorites. I fell into W4's after really enjoying um3x and hearing that the 4's provided much better imaging, detail and low extension.....they did. Unfortunately they were horrible with any moisture and would cut out some bands in one ear if I even got a little warm......let them dry for a day or so and they'd work for a bit and then do it again. Eventually the left side stopped working altogether. Since I really do feel strongly that iem's should be impervious to what naturally occurs in there environment, I couldn't bite on Westone's replacement series (the new w4, w5, w6, etc.)...between a lack of confidence now in their durability and uncertainty as to which of the newer line was closest in sound sig to the w4's, I just went with se-846. I do think the 846 are a good iem, with good detail, decent sound stage (not as intimate as the w4's since it is in front more than within), good low end, etc, but just a bit too veiled (warm) up top. I am sensitive to treble fatigue, but still want the detail. W4's delivered that.

So, with all that being said, what is a good, preferably non-custom, iem replacement with all the great characteristics of the w4 and can take a little ear sweat? I'm not horribly sweaty, but like to wear these for yard work and working out to help keep me in a good place. If it helps, I love a variety of rock, punk, metal-ish, and electronica, so all over the place. I do have a decent DAP as source with mostly lossless formats when at all possible,

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 2
If you like the Westone sound, I believe that 64 audio (u-series) is somewhat similar. I had Westone W4r (sold), W60 (broke, not good build quality) and now I have 64 U8. The U8 has a more bass heavy sound, so maybe U6 (have not heard them) would be more similar. Due to their Apex/Adel thing, they isolate less than Westone. To be honest, I do not know how they would fare with sweat, as I use a pair of cheap IEMs (Soundmagic E10, more V-shaped sound) for workout. Before I used a pair of Shure Se215 for workout. They where clear, so you could see inside the cable and the IEMs, and they did not look very nice after a couple of years of work-out...

I am not sure what I am trying to say... but maybe you should use a cheaper pair of IEMs for work-out? Or else I think you just have to try and see what happens. Maybe someone have an idea how balanced vs dynamic drivers handle humidity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back