W1000 vs. D5000 for jazz and classical?
Dec 13, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #16 of 22
@tuatara
i'm confused, because yesterday i tried HD650 with my LD MKIV, and they're not veiled at all, they have tight bass and of course warm sound, maybe HD650 have good synergy with tube amps
maybe i'll try to audition W1000 and compared it with HD650 and find which is more to my liking
biggrin.gif

IMO D5000 veils more than HD650, they have that boomy but not deep enough bass and recessed mids

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@tuatara
i'm confused, because yesterday i tried HD650 with my LD MKIV, and they're not veiled at all, they have tight bass and of course warm sound, maybe HD650 have good synergy with tube amps
maybe i'll try to audition W1000 and compared it with HD650 and find which is more to my liking
biggrin.gif

IMO D5000 veils more than HD650, they have that boomy but not deep enough bass and recessed mids

I have a couple of tracks that I always use when auditioning headphones and one of them features a prominent saxophone alongside the usual guitar, bass, drums.
For instance with the RS1s I can easily follow all the instruments right through the song and sense a reasonable if tight separation and placement for each player but with the HD650s I cannot get that separation and totally loose the saxophone altogether.
I quite enjoyed the Senns with solo tracks featuring just vocals and one instrument but with more complex tracks and more instruments I lost that separation that I enjoy. Now the HD650s presentation may be the more realistic of a live performance but if there's 5 different instruments on a track then I like to be able to hear them all rather than a homogeneous whole.

However I never get dogmatic about which phone is better than the other as it's impossible to carve anything in stone in this hobby. Even with my own phones I have no clear cut favourite, it changes from day to day, depending on music/mood/source/amp etc.

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #18 of 22
I can vouch for the Audio Technica woodies, first they have first class appearance, then they have a very smile-inducing sound signature.
The bass response is definitely NOT bloated, this will surprise (and disappoint) many bass heads (who will dismiss the AT woodies as "sounding thin"), but after a while you notice the bass is still 100% there and precise, fast, hitting hard. The cans will pair nicely with a warm sounding amp...
Their very clear sound presentation is perfect for jazz and classical, plus they sound wonderful for any wood instrument. Drums produce a sensible knock, which is quite exciting when listening to fast jazz (or rock)
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:58 AM Post #19 of 22
Hd-600 is a lot better than D2000 for classical, thats why I bought the HD-600 they have better soundstage and a more linear frequency that is needed for classical hd-650 didn't do classical well for me, think a violin without treble, no good.

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@tuatara

In what music are you able to hear bass in the hd-650 that you don't hear in D5000? I did never find such a recording, although I have D2000.

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #21 of 22
i'm testing D5K & HD650 with jazz, probably its because of gain setup in my amp, the setup is medium gain, i think i need to hear it again with low gain

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a couple of tracks that I always use when auditioning headphones and one of them features a prominent saxophone alongside the usual guitar, bass, drums.
For instance with the RS1s I can easily follow all the instruments right through the song and sense a reasonable if tight separation and placement for each player but with the HD650s I cannot get that separation and totally loose the saxophone altogether.
I quite enjoyed the Senns with solo tracks featuring just vocals and one instrument but with more complex tracks and more instruments I lost that separation that I enjoy. Now the HD650s presentation may be the more realistic of a live performance but if there's 5 different instruments on a track then I like to be able to hear them all rather than a homogeneous whole.

However I never get dogmatic about which phone is better than the other as it's impossible to carve anything in stone in this hobby. Even with my own phones I have no clear cut favourite, it changes from day to day, depending on music/mood/source/amp etc.

it think that's why ppl tend to have 2 or more headphone, to adjust their listening with mood
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back