W1000 vs. D5000 for jazz and classical?
Dec 9, 2007 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Michael Jennings

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 30, 2006
Posts
100
Likes
12
I'm looking for a set of phones for home use, driving them with an 5.5G iMod, portable VCap dock, and a Lisa III with the Triad dedicated power supply.

I'm leaning toward a pair of AT W1000's, but am concerned that the difference between the W1000 and the ES W9's that I already have won't be great enough. I'm likewise concerned by some of the reports of bloated bass on the D5000.

Advice much appreciated!
 
Dec 9, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 22

MaloS

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Posts
4,670
Likes
11
If it is for home use, does it have to be closed? ^.^ (seeing how neither of the cans you chose does not provide much isolation).
 
Dec 9, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 22

Michael Jennings

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 30, 2006
Posts
100
Likes
12
Not necessarily, but I wouldn't mind traveling with it...which suggests closed.

I'm open to all suggestions at this point, though!
 
Dec 9, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 22

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Posts
8,496
Likes
17
You do realise that neither pair provide proper isolation?

Check out my post count
biggrin.gif
 
Dec 9, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 22

MaloS

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Posts
4,670
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do realise that neither pair provide proper isolation?

Check out my post count
biggrin.gif



Screenshot it before it is too late!
 
Dec 9, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 22

MaloS

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Posts
4,670
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Jennings /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not necessarily, but I wouldn't mind traveling with it...which suggests closed.

I'm open to all suggestions at this point, though!



I'd think HD600 would be very tasty with your setup =] Or HD650 if you want more warmth/weight.
 
Dec 10, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 22

Michael Jennings

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 30, 2006
Posts
100
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd think HD600 would be very tasty with your setup =] Or HD650 if you want more warmth/weight.


Could you amplify a bit? Why the Sennheisers over the W1000 or D5000?

Thanks!
 
Dec 10, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 22

MaloS

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Posts
4,670
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Jennings /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you amplify a bit? Why the Sennheisers over the W1000 or D5000?

Thanks!



HD600 gets tone/timbre better than either one, its tonality is a tad cold, but seeing how you have a Lisa III which has great midrange, and generally sounds very smooth, the match should be a comfy one. Also HD600 is great for classical and more demanding jazz ensemble pieces (with lots of horns).
I heard D5000 and I owned W5000 (better than W1000), former was caused a confusion between layers and strange sense of bump in upper midrange when paired with Lisa III, latter just did not work with bass response very well (which is apparently an issue of fit, but W1000 is much identical in design).

I am not really partial to HD600, but its vastly better than the 2 cans you are looking at for jazz/classical (that being, unless you already heard HD600 and for some reason don't like it).
 
Dec 10, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 22

Sarchi

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 15, 2007
Posts
685
Likes
11
My quick impressions of the W1000:

Very comfortable. Natural sounding, warm but detailed. Bass is good, not great. Soundstage isn't that good, they are closed 'phones after all. They respond well to improvements in amplification, and seem to favor good tube amps.
I like them a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Dec 10, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 22

MaloS

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Posts
4,670
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My quick impressions of the W1000:

Very comfortable. Natural sounding, warm but detailed. Bass is good, not great. Soundstage isn't that good, they are closed 'phones after all. They respond well to improvements in amplification, and seem to favor good tube amps.
I like them a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif



Thats not the 'closed' headphone case, because the bigger brother W5000 has excellent soundstage.
 
Dec 10, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 22

Sarchi

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 15, 2007
Posts
685
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats not the 'closed' headphone case, because the bigger brother W5000 has excellent soundstage.


Fair enough, I should have added that I've had the W1 about 6 weeks and they're my first really good headphones. Being a speakerphile, I don't expect much soundstaging from headphones anyway, relatively speaking. I do find that placement makes a difference...slide them back and things open up quite a bit. Slide them forward and they are more comfortable but also sound more 'closed in'.
 
Dec 10, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 22

3x331m

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Posts
2,733
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not really partial to HD600, but its vastly better than the 2 cans you are looking at for jazz/classical (that being, unless you already heard HD600 and for some reason don't like it).


"Vastly better" might be a bit extreme.

I also like the Senn for jazz and classical, HD600 with Cardas, and HD650 with Zu Mobius. I only mention of the HD650 here because of the Mobius combination.
 
Dec 13, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #15 of 22

tuatara

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 22, 2004
Posts
519
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does W1K gets better soundstage with amping?



Yes. Pairing mine with the Yamamoto amp made a big difference not just to the soundstage but to the whole sound quality.Of all my phones the W1000s have the biggest soundstge when paired with the Yammy.
I would go with the W1000s before the HD650s everytime as I find them too veiled.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top