W100 w/ Creek OBH-11, Rega Ear, or RA-1
Apr 28, 2002 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

The Quality Guru

Blah! he says.
I'm just curious if any of you have heard the W100 when partnered with a Creek OBH-11, Rega Ear, or Grado RA-1? I'm thinking about one of these used for use at home, then hopefully a JMT amp for portable use . . .

Thanks for any help, suggestions, thoughts, predictions, crazy comments, whatever!

Regards, Luke
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks, Jon. The only problem with my getting the Corda is that I cannot find one used (I don't have $300+ for what it costs as new) - it seems they're pretty rare on the used market, sort of exclusive . . .

But I think I'm most interested in the Rega Ear and the Creek OBH-11, with the Rega at the top of my list right now. I can find it used for around $120, and using the search function it supposedly sound much like the Creek, with a very solid state sound, which doesn't really bother me. (Is that a good evaluation?) The W100's are tubish enough, with their smoothness and what not, so I think I should be alright if that is indeed what the Rega sounds like.

The only thing that I'm worried about is how much of a bond the Rega and the W100 would have. I've heard that the Rega is optimized for low-impedence cans, correct? So then it might be worth a try?

Thanks.

Regards, Luke
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 5
^ Bump ^

No replies, aye? Alright, how about alternate food for thought . . .

Should I even GET a home amp if I'm only considering a Rega or a Creek OBH-11, if I'm already getting a CHA-47? So in other words, do you think the JMT CHA-47 is near the performance of the Rega Ear or Creek; might it be best just to use the CHA-47 as both a home and portable amp if the Rega is similar in performance?

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions or predictions . . .

Regards, Luke
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 5
Out of those amps I have only heard the creek. Judging from the word of mouth on the CHA-47, I would recommend saving your money so you can make a bigger step up (at least a corda, save up more for a zotl). Or maybe upgrading the source
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back