Trisonic TS-YK220

Trisonic TS-YK5000

Nippon America CD-2000

Nippon America CD-5500

Bottom

Zune earbuds

Digital (???) earbuds

Nippon America Model IV folding headphones

The fun thing about buying from Mat Electronics is that the pictures of the headphones they sell don't necessarily represent what you get and they never really have the same thing twice. So it's kind of like a headphone grab-bag.

So what say you? Any of these have a chance at being a contender? Have you ever heard of these brands or heard any phones by them?

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 22
Ahh... They're all kind of laughable but it's cheap fun. Most of these cost $5 or less and none of them cost over $10.

Besides, you never know where the next budget champion is going to come from. Just look at the Coby CV-185 portables ($10) and the Coby CV720 full-sized circumaural phones for $15 shipped. And the CV720 compete with ANY phone at $35 or less IMO.

Anyways, starting to listen to them now. Will update as I progress...

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 22
Ok. The Digital *no model number* earbuds.

80f6ba2e.jpg

I had fair hopes for these because I own some of their cheap disposable beater phones and was a bit surprised by their half-way decent sound.

Well, these are definitely nothing special. They don't do anything too offensive but the bass cuts out fairly quickly and therefore they lack body and punch and are a bit bright.

Again, they are listenable I guess, but nothing to jump for joy over.

Judgment:

DO NOT RECOMMEND

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 22
Trisonic TS-YK220 "Neckband headphones."

1be1ba69.jpg

These are better than the Digital earbuds, but sadly, much the same. They have a bit deeper bass and the mids are a bit clearer but the highs and upper mids can be piercingly sibilant.

Oh, and these may be the most uncomfortable phones I've ever worn. The "neckband" is hard plastic and digs into your head just in front of your ears. Downright painful.

Judgment:

DO NOT RECOMMEND

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 22
Nippon America CD-2000

e8c7c75d.jpg

I could tell in less than a minute that I just didn't like these phones. They have slightly more bass than the other two so far but like the others they can be much too bright for my tastes. The midrange sounds ... dirty for lack of a better word. Also, the sound as a whole is cupped sounding, echo-y, and hollow.

Bleh.

Judgment:

DO NOT RECOMMEND

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #8 of 22
lol Actually the Digital's and the Trisonic's DO have that sort of sound that you can kind of tell will ripen up and be better with some time on them. But the Trisonic's would be crap if the sound was so good that angels flew out of the cups and tickled you ass just because of their horrible comfort level.

I must also apologize to the two readers following this thread with interest for the brevity of my "reviews" if you can even call them that. It's just that I find very little merit in describing the sound of crap... or even mediocrity. And that's what these phones are so far. Remember, I'm not reviewing these on an ultimate scale against the best of the best the way that someone like joker does. No, I'm instead reviewing them against others in their price range which is $2-$10.

So far, the best phones I've heard in this price range are the 2XL "Grills Collection" Spoke IEM's $10 at Big Lots!, the Sentry ho480 "Metalix" IEM's $5 a pair at Big Lots!, and the Sentry ho470 "Wooden" IEM's $5 at Big Lots! Also, the much better JVC Flats $10 online and the Coby CV-185 $10 online. All of these absolutely destroy the phones I've described in this thread so far.

Will any of the remaining phones break the terrible streak of terrible???

Place your bets and tune in tomorrow - same bat time, same bat channel.
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #9 of 22
My bet is on the Deluxe Hi-fi whatever those are. They remind me of old ATH electrets and the packaging doesn't quite look like it came straight out of a bargain-bin toy store in the 80s.

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My bet is on the Deluxe Hi-fi whatever those are. They remind me of old ATH electrets and the packaging doesn't quite look like it came straight out of a bargain-bin toy store in the 80s.

Those would be the Nippon America CD-5500. We shall see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think I've ever seen packaging actually hut rt my eyes... D: Good luck with them :p

Thanks. I actually thought all the purdy colors looked quite nice! lol

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #13 of 22
i love the earbuds foam color. black fenk orange! FTW!!

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think I've ever seen packaging actually hut rt my eyes... D: Good luck with them :p

I was thinking that until I remembered the Ankit packaging that I've got sitting in a deep dark box somewhere:

ankitstaytruepackagingh.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back