VZR Model One
Dec 13, 2021 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 427

Youcan1

100+ Head-Fier
IMAG0208.jpg

https://vzraudio.com/products/vzr-model-one

I've been playing Halo Infinite with these and I thought I would post a thread since they are probably the best non-planar gaming headset. Solid sound, comfort and great build quality and accessories. Mic quality is solid, not quite as good as some of the best (Beyerdynamic, EPOS).

Here is the "acoustic lens" that is supposed to shape the sound:
IMAG0207.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 427
I've had my eye on these since I first heard about them after CanJam SoCal but haven't seen many reviews from audiophiles.

Do you have anything else you'd compare them to?

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 427
I've had my eye on these since I first heard about them after CanJam SoCal but haven't seen many reviews from audiophiles.

Do you have anything else you'd compare them to?

Just the stuff in my signature, but these are my favorite for strictly gaming usage. These blow away any of the Turtle Beach, Astro, Steel Series stuff that I've demoed in the past. I would imagine the only things that would possibly be better than these in the gaming headset realm are the Audeze headsets (which I haven't heard). Maybe the Sennheiser/EPOS or Beyerdynamic headsets are in the same realm (likely below).

Dec 14, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 427
Looks like a rebrand of these..
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32566703194.html

DIY-headset-Wooden-Headphones-50mm-speaker-bass.jpg

I had this wooden headphone around 4 years ago, didn't have it for long but I remember being impressed by it's sound quality, I thought it had a sound signature not dissimilar to the Denon AH-D2000, with lots of bass. The only thing that certainly let it down was it's build quality. The VZR looks a bit sturdier though, from the pictures.

Dec 14, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 427

It wouldn't shock me if they used off the shelf parts for the head mechanism, not unlike Monoprice and Emotiva since they are a small company. The drivers and cups are definitely not the same though. The build seems excellent to me. The Focal and Beyerdynamic sets I've used felt cheaper than these build wise. Having said that I haven't had them for long so I have no idea how they hold up long term.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 427
It wouldn't shock me if they used off the shelf parts for the head mechanism, not unlike Monoprice and Emotiva since they are a small company. The drivers and cups are definitely not the same though. The build seems excellent to me. The Focal and Beyerdynamic sets I've used felt cheaper than these build wise. Having said that I haven't had them for long so I have no idea how they hold up long term.
Congrats on your purchase of the VZR Model One, it does look cool. :)

Apr 11, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 427
Are you still using these? Still awesome?

I still have them but I don't use them that much. I actually have them listed on eBay right now. Not because they are bad, I just don't use headphones for gaming that much recently and I have other higher end sets that I prefer for music. These are a little too heavy in the midbass area for me in terms of music. Sounds great with shooters though since it adds heft to gun sounds explosions.

Apr 23, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 427
Apparently these are made by Apple’s former lead acoustics engineer:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/forme...eer-is-launching-premium-audiophilegamer-cans

I liked this review because he’s not just a gamer, he’s a music producer and DJ. Apparently VZR approached him to demo and lend out a pair to him at Pax. They brought an HD800S and HD820 to compare.

Their Crosswave acoustic lens is similar but different from the Dan Clark Stealth widget

VZR /r/headphones AMA

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Part Time Audiophile Review:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2021/02/08/vzr-model-one-headphone-preview/

So after reading & watching all that, I ordered a pair

Apr 24, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 427
Apparently these are made by Apple’s former lead acoustics engineer:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/forme...eer-is-launching-premium-audiophilegamer-cans

I liked this review because he’s not just a gamer, he’s a music producer and DJ. Apparently VZR approached him to demo and lend out a pair to him at Pax. They brought an HD800S and HD820 to compare.

Their Crosswave acoustic lens is similar but different from the Dan Clark Stealth widget

VZR /r/headphones AMA

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Part Time Audiophile Review:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2021/02/08/vzr-model-one-headphone-preview/

So after reading & watching all that, I ordered a pair

Curious to hear what you think. I’ve been trying to find comparisons between them and the PC38X and Audeze Penrose but it still seems like not many people have tried them.

Apr 24, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #11 of 427
I decided to keep my set. It wasn't getting much traction at the listed price and I don't want to just give them away. I would put them around the Fidelio X2/X3-ish level in terms of sound quality. Rock solid sound and great for a gaming headset, but I have a hard time believing they would match a high end Sennheiser (unless the Sennheisers weren't being driven properly). They do have a pretty decent soundstage for a closed back and are fairly comfortable.

Apr 24, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 427
I decided to keep my set. It wasn't getting much traction at the listed price and I don't want to just give them away. I would put them around the Fidelio X2/X3-ish level in terms of sound quality. Rock solid sound and great for a gaming headset, but I have a hard time believing they would match a high end Sennheiser (unless the Sennheisers weren't being driven properly). They do have a pretty decent soundstage for a closed back and are fairly comfortable.
Note to self: there isn’t a used market If it’s not a true love set

Apr 28, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 427
Update true love for these. Wow. The acoustic lens is something else. I can’t Believe what I’m hearing in these coming out of my Mac and Quidelix. I do definitely get the speakers vibe from the sound in these that I can’t remember experiencing quite like in other headphones.

Apr 28, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 427
Update true love for these. Wow. The acoustic lens is something else. I can’t Believe what I’m hearing in these coming out of my Mac and Quidelix. I do definitely get the speakers vibe from the sound in these that I can’t remember experiencing quite like in other headphones.
Have you tried the Penrose or PC38X? How do they compare if so?

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #15 of 427
Have you tried the Penrose or PC38X? How do they compare if so?
I've tried the Mobius, I used to have those. Completely different tiers altogether. I think the VZR might be more comparable high-end Audeze, Focal, and ZMF cans. I'd have to take them to the local hifi store to verify but they sound way better than my iSine20's and that's rare. The details I'm hearing in music just plugged straight into my Mac is flat out unreal. The speaker like sound quality is very novel. Everything is reference tuned and incredibly impactful, clean, and high detail retrieval. IEM Sensitive. Cleannnn clean clean sound top to bottom.

These "widgets" like the VZR Acoustic Lens, Sennheiser Heimholz Resonator and DCA Stealth AMTS might be the future trend of headphone acoustics rather than some new speaker material. I think these might be one of those types of acoustic marvels. But cheap and efficient. And well designed, mechanically. Very comfortable. Unreal.

@jude You guys have to check these out around the Head-Fi office. They might get a lot of listening time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back