VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread
Jul 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #676 of 2,003
Quote:

The Vsonic house sound is more "audiophile" grade to me compared to the Bassos but yet it manages to be fun.  You can even use these for analytical/ critical monitoring, while the Bassos is more for the fun warmish, bassy, and chillax/ easy breezy/ lighter listening experience without anything lacking in their lows/mids/highs/ soundstage, etc. The Bassos has more of that mainstream/ commercial type of musicality while the VSD1 has that analytical musicality me thinks.

Pretty different sound siggys, yet both has great bass emphasis which makes both really fun to listen to.

Yeppp can't really go wrong with any of them tbh, just depends what sound signatures you are looking for. They all sound different yet has the similar/higher emphasis on low end, while providing a great balance along with the mids/highs.

I think that was the description I was looking for! A "funalytical" midranged IEM with a more in-your-face feeling without losing the soundstage
Probably I'm asking too much for mere $45. I kinda miss the previous years where anything that could offer half of these was priced at $150 so I couldn't even think about it!

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #677 of 2,003
Quote:
I think that was the description I was looking for! A "funalytical" midranged IEM with a more in-your-face feeling without losing the soundstage
Probably I'm asking too much for mere $45. I kinda miss the previous years where anything that could offer half of these was priced at $150 so I couldn't even think about it!

Yeppp you nailed it. Gonna steal "funalytical" from ya'. hoho Great term and these VDS1 seems to be everything that you are looking for. It has a dryer sound but is still really fun, and the mids are crazy nice, so is the highs and and lows. LoL

But i would have to say these has a slightly more bass/ mids emphasis over the highs. But the highs are no joke as well, really well extended with a bit of sparkle.

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #678 of 2,003
Quote:
Yeppp you nailed it. Gonna steal "funalytical" from ya'. hoho Great term and these VDS1 seems to be everything that you are looking for. It has a dryer sound but is still really fun, and the mids are crazy nice, so is the highs and and lows. LoL

But i would have to say these has a slightly more bass/ mids emphasis over the highs. But the highs are no joke as well, really well extended with a bit of sparkle.

I must trademark the term and sell it to Vsonic then for some GR07s!
biggrin.gif
You can use it free of charge of course for all that help so far!
I will wait for VSD1S impressions to see if that bass emphasis is better controlled there, I'm not in a hurry, I have to check the Basso's first.

Jul 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #679 of 2,003
I just watched Grown Ups 2 and it was awful.
Quote:
You two belittled me first and put me in my place. : P
I don't mind being wrong and not being able to hear positioning. ; )
Smiley faces to prove my tone. : (

Nah, I guess you're just the type who enjoys his music and doesn't pay much attention to the sonic cues. 
Quote:
I am also waiting for Kova's impressions. My initial plan was to buy 2 IEMs with less than $100 that have different sigs, one warmer/bassier and one midranged. The first one has been the Basso that "won" over the Tenore and I hope that was the right choice. For the midranged I was searching something around $30 but unfortunately almost every IEM at this price is Bass-oriented so I thought that a pricier Vsonic could be a good solution. I excluded R02 Silver and VC02 and now I have to choose between VSD1/S and GR04FE.

Well, as I said they are different - the gr04fe is mid-forward and a bit more aggressive but sacrificing the soundstage size quite a bit. That's just the thing mid-forward iems place everything right in your face, so there's just no way to keep the soundstage size just like V-shaped sound gives you the biggest soundstage. But if you really want more forward sound then by all means go for it if you can find it cheap. I kinda retired the gr04fe just because the meelec a161p is a straight upgrade to it and that type of sound. As I said I think the VSD1 mids are just fine but they are maybe a touch laid back and smoother than the gr04fe with stock tips.

I didn't do as much comparing as I initially intended just because it's very tiring to listen to the same stuff again and again while trying to tell the difference between two iems that are almost identical. 

So as I said before the VSD1 has a bit more mid-bass and has a slightly bigger body while the S is a bit flatter and is tighter sounding with probably a bit better sub-bass but in reality you need a certain song with a certain type of bass to really showcase the difference - like very fast and heavy drums for instance and actually it'll still be a matter of personal preference which one you like more but it's not a night and day difference.

The mids seem to be placed at exactly the same place in the presentation, so I'll say that neither of the two is more forward or laid back than the other. The VSD1's lower mids sound slightly fuller probably because of the boosted mid-bass but they aren't any warmer or anything - just very slightly fuller, which kinda gives the impression that the VSD1 has a bigger soundstage, which might be partially true as it gives me the impression of a tad better height of the soundstage and a touch better depth - the width is still the same between the two. 

The highs are also almost exactly the same but the VSD1S's lower treble sounds ever so slightly fuller and maybe a hair more pronounced.

In conclusion they are really really similar and you might notice in all my comments about the two the excessive use of "a bit", "slightly", "a touch" etc. - that's just how close the two are. I was thinking which one I like better and it's just hard. Usually I'm the one who always cares about how tight is the bass, it's speed and so on but for some reason in the end I picked the VSD1. But the differences are just small and nowhere near like probably most of you expect from the initial claims. Yeah, if you're really picky and want an answer I might say the VSD1S might be a hair better for female vocals and the the VSD1 is a touch better for male vocals.

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #680 of 2,003
Great again Kova, really helpful. I like the mid-forward feeling but I don't really want to sacrifice everything else just for this so probably GR04 won't be a good choice. Between the two similar Vsonic I think I will go with VSD1 since the soundstage is that bit bigger, I don't really need a fast bass but just the right amount for drums etc and finally I believe Bruce will sound better with them! Now I have to find a way to fund them
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #681 of 2,003
Quote:
Great again Kova, really helpful. I like the mid-forward feeling but I don't really want to sacrifice everything else just for this so probably GR04 won't be a good choice. Between the two similar Vsonic I think I will go with VSD1 since the soundstage is that bit bigger, I don't really need a fast bass but just the right amount for drums etc and finally I believe Bruce will sound better with them! Now I have to find a way to fund them
ksc75smile.gif

Well, as I said the VSD1/S and GR04FE just have different signatures but it's definitely not like the only strong side of the gr04fe is the forward mids and you'll be sacrificing everything else. The gr04fe still has better build quality and faster and less boosted bass and a bit smoother treble but yeah, you'll definitely be sacrificing the soundstage size and the extension on both sides. Sill as I said before I would probably put them on par - they are just different. With that said the VSD1/S are probably the more consumer-friendly with their boosted bass and more versatile sound out of the box and I can see them appealing to a lot more people.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #684 of 2,003
Quote:
Well, as I said they are different - the gr04fe is mid-forward and a bit more aggressive but sacrificing the soundstage size quite a bit. That's just the thing mid-forward iems place everything right in your face, so there's just no way to keep the soundstage size just like V-shaped sound gives you the biggest soundstage. But if you really want more forward sound then by all means go for it if you can find it cheap. I kinda retired the gr04fe just because the meelec a161p is a straight upgrade to it and that type of sound. As I said I think the VSD1 mids are just fine but they are maybe a touch laid back and smoother than the gr04fe with stock tips.

How does the a161p compare to the VSD?

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #685 of 2,003
Quote:
How does the a161p compare to the VSD?

They are different. The a161p is more in line with the gr04fe - it's mid-forward and is aggressive unlike the smooth VSD1/S. It does have better details but again like with gr04 some of the stuff like cymbal crashes cen get lost in certain types of music. For instance in metal they can get drowned by the aggressive forward guitars and drums. It has flat well extended bass which is slightly boosted and is faster and tighter than the vsonics coz it's BA. It's treble rolls off a bit early but it has more energy in the lower treble than the vsonics. And due to it's forward mids it has an average soundstage, which is more on the intimate side. It's also pretty sensitive, which makes it very easy to drive but can be slightly prone to hissing with certain sources. The a161p is actually a pretty safe choice IMO for people looking to try BA iems but don't want to sacrifice too much the bass quantity and don't want too analytical and bright sound. Overall, they are just different sounding iems and even though the a161p can have a better detail and speed it still boils down to personal preference.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #687 of 2,003
Quote:
Update from vsonic: revision for vsd1 and 1s will be announced aug 1-10 with the vsd1 having 50ohm resistance and the 1s having 80ohm resiistance and new tuning

Well, I think they are starting to go a bit overboard with all the new iems and the naming. The vsd1 came out like 2 months ago and the vsd1s a month ago and they are already making a new version. And honestly if they are going to have different housing, different tuning and different impedance then they are going to be different iems and should be named differently - like VSD2/S if they want to continue with the confusing naming.

Jul 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #689 of 2,003
Quote:
Has anyone tried these with a set of Comply tips? I really do not care for any of the included tips. Also what size Comply tips would fit?

Thanks in advance!

Well, this has been commented quite a bit. There just isn't one comply model that fits perfectly those vsonic nozzles (VSD1/S, Gr07/BE, Gr06, Gr04...). I have fitted t100 before but it is a very tight fit and will take quite a bit of stretching the t100's cores and even then without the proper technique you might not be able to fit them on the nozzles. T200 is a bit loose bit if you stretch it over the entire nozzle it can stay decently and is probably your best option. Still Comply needs to make a model between t100 and t200 to give the vsonics a comply tip that fits properly as the current options are workarounds and aren't meant to be used with the vsonics. And anyway they definitely don't sound at their best with foam tips on.

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #690 of 2,003
Quote:
Update from vsonic: revision for vsd1 and 1s will be announced aug 1-10 with the vsd1 having 50ohm resistance and the 1s having 80ohm resiistance and new tuning

Will be announced or will be released? Leaking something is basically announcing it so we already knew. Kinda sucks if people are getting VSD1S shipped to them as we speak, then about a week later another version comes along? Also, why announce them if they aren't coming soon. No point in officially announcing if they aren't coming till January or so. 5 months in this fast paced market is too long to wait unless they are coming sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back