VSONIC VC02 Thread
Dec 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #151 of 791
I must admit that vc02 sounds wide, airy and detailed. Vocals and upper mids are very, very foward. While equalizing you must put 8k and 16k down a lot and 4k a little to get neutral sounding signature. While writing this, listening Sting - Stolen Car with vc-02. Vocals are still harsh after 8 hours burn-in. If there is no harshness I definitely would prefer vc02 over vs-r02. One more thing. Worn cable down and over the ear these sound quite different.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #152 of 791
After overnight burn-in, I don't fell any differences, same harsh sound on peaks.
frown.gif
  Lots of sibilance.  Just every track seems to sound like tons of "ssssssssss". Couldn't outclass my vs-r02. Was expecting more. Returning for refund.

But still want to know if people who own these hear same harsh and sibilant sound. Maybe I got a bad pair????

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #153 of 791
What kind of volume levels are you listening at? I listen at fairly moderate levels with no problems with harshness or sibilance. I do notice it at higher volumes though

edit - Im also listening with a deep fit with biflanges if that matters. They tend to sound stuffy and more prone to sibilance with single flanges, to my ears.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #155 of 791
[size=10.0pt]Hello fellow head fiers,[/size]

[size=10.0pt]VC02 is a pair of cute little cubs that manage a roar. Here is my two cents worth,[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Well, when I first got mine on Thursday and listen to them without any burn in, my impression is they are airy and have good separation. Soundstage is average. Breath sounds are obvious. Also, I notice a fair amount of sibilance and bite when I tried tracks of Feist and Adele.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]After nearly 50 hours of burn in, I feel the soundstage opens up, however still not wide enough to be on par with GR06’s. I feel VC02 made up with more depth/height in the sound stage dept. Positioning and imaging is good for an IEM of this price and size (small driver).[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Lows are fast, tight and punchy. They are by no means bass-light but they lack the bass impact and extension of GR06. Given such a small dynamic driver, they have limitations to extend deep. Their lows reminded me of Brainwavz M1’s. Definitely not bass anemic but not sufficient for bass head. I was amazed how this little cub manage to rumble when I was listening Kings of Leon O2 concert album and Miguel`s Adorn album.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Mids are neither dry or lush...just nice. Rather detailed and clean but not thin. GR06's mids are smoother and warmer. I would say the mids sit a tad in front of lows and highs. Sibilance and bite had toned down after the burn in. It is airy…Instrument separation and layering is great for an IEM of this small driver and price.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Highs are where they excel. They extend well, have energy, are crispy and sparkle. Honestly, I think VC02's highs put down single BA like Astrotec AM90 easily. They are just resolving. [/size]

[size=10.0pt]They isolate rather well with the right tips. Their vast array of colorful tips is really a pleasant and fashionable add ons. But I have to say I used GR06/07 tips (big & purple stem) which bore a bigger hole, they give me a better sound and isolation on VC02. [/size]

[size=10.0pt]The cables come with a tag that says please burn for 100 hours for better SQ. So fellow head fiers, please be patient...[/size]

[size=10.0pt]In short, I really like them...they have their own niche...a rather distinctive sound signature...for a price tag of less than $50 and with such a small driver & detachable cables, they are really special and a keeper, unless you are a bass head![/size]
basshead.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #157 of 791
Thanks for sharing impressions.

I was really confused about that sibilance. Mine have around 17 hours burn-in yet. Won't try them until they got 100 hours.
biggrin.gif
Do you think VC02 is better sounding IEM than AM90?

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #158 of 791
Mids of Am90 is warmer and smoother than VC02. VC02 has more texture and meat(details) to the mids. Vocals wise, you can hear the sounds of d, ed, k, s, t made by the singer when singing the lyrics.

Overall presentation, AM90 is comparatively warmer and veiled. There is this clarity in the SQ of VC02 that is refreshing. VC02's overall presentation is clean, tight and detailed. Separation and layering is really good for an IEM of this price. Sort of have a 3D or enveloping kind of sound stage, imho.

When listening to Radiohead's Creep and Nirvana's Smells like teen spirit, the presence of hi-hats and the cymbals are much more noticeable with VC02.

Although their highs are where they excel (good quality & quantity at a less than USD 50 price range and a small driver), its also a double edged sword. The highs are pronounced and detailed however at times lack the refinement/control of a higher end IEM, this somehow increases the fatigue level of listening to VC02 coz at there is always a little tinge of sibilance. I wonder if the highs will be more controlled after 100 hours of burn in.   

Please take the above impressions with a pinch of salt coz it's subjective!
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #159 of 791
After an IEM that do a great job of cutting out sibilance, this pair seems to sound very sharp. Burning-in in hope that sibilance will disappear completely. Otherwise this kind of sound isn't for me. Maybe most like the way these sound out of box, but I don't. Expecting changes in SQ.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #160 of 791
My pair got 100 hours. Now these sound just awesome. Sibilant sound disappeared. After a dark sounding IEM these sound very bright but not in a bad way. Among IEMs I had before these are the only pair that have great mids and highs while not sacrificing brightness.

Was going to buy AM-90. Bought these and I don't regret now.

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #161 of 791
Quote:
My pair got 100 hours. Now these sound just awesome. Sibilant sound disappeared. After a dark sounding IEM these sound very bright but not in a bad way. Among IEMs I had before these are the only pair that have great mids and highs while not sacrificing brightness.

Was going to buy AM-90. Bought these and I don't regret now.

Good to hear that these improved with some burn in time and are now to your liking. Now if I could only receive the pair I ordered way back when so I can hear these for myself. Hopefully I'll finally get them before the end of this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back