VSonic GR07 vs HiFiMAN RE-400 ... did someone compare those 2 (???)
Jun 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 17
Jun 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
interested in impressions, other than those in the huge "278..." review.

thanks!

Quote:
This multi review has Hifiman RE-400 and Vsonic GR07
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-281-iems-compared-vsonic-gr07-be-and-r02-silver-added-05-15-13-p-688

RE-400 scored 8.9 in sound quality,    GR07 scored 9.1

Lol....

Does ANYTHING (under $200) beat the gr07s? They seem to be the favorites around here

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 17
Mar 14, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 17
I've been living with both these phones for a while.  I would say that my gr07s win by a landslide, except for the sibilance problems.  Here are my thoughts:

-The gr07s have a MUCH fuller richer sound. 

-I'm shocked that some people give similar scores to the bass on these, the gr07 has MUCH more  bass impact.  I usually prefer the bass on the gr07s, much more quantity, and in my opinion better quality.  Though sometimes, depending on my mood, I like the more recessed bass of the re-400s.

-sound stage:  big difference here.  The re-400s seem cramped to me compared to the gr07s.  The gr07 is the clear winner here.

-Separation:  Big difference here as well.  The gr07s somehow seem to make every instrument, every voice stand out on it's own and shine.  I really like this quality in IEMs.

-Treble:  I think that the gr07 would win here, except for the sibilance.  Depending on my mood, and the music I'm listening to, sometimes I can't deal with the sibilance of the gr07s, and will instead reach for the 400s.  Other than this, the gr07s are the clear winner in every way.

-Comfort, quality, practicality, etc:  In my opinion, the gr07s win here, though not by much.  Obviously the small size of the 400s is a big bonus; they are very comfortable, I also like the aluminum housing.  That said, I don't care for the 400s cable, and I loathe the aluminum cinch.  I considered returning the 400s because of the cinch alone.  I think aluminum was chosen for looks.  I don't care for the looks, too flashy for me, but that's not what bugs me.  The cinch is completely useless.  There is very little friction between the metallic cinch and the slick cables.  Not everyone uses a cinch, but for me they are essential (I like to wear my phones when I'm working out).  I use a piece of scotch tape to secure the cinch in place (really ghetto). 

In this category the gr07s are not perfect either.  I don't like the way the cable is very slowly oxidizing (really guys?), and because of my small ear canals, the gr07s can be uncomfortable for me after a while (this got a little better after I found the perfect way to adjust the nozzle). 

To recap:  Both are good sounding phones.  The gr07s are the clear winner in every aspect of sound except sibilance.  The cable and cinch of the 400s just suck.

Edit:  I just thought I'd throw this in there (way after the fact).  Shortly after writing this post my RE400s stopped working properly.  The connection wasn't right in one of the ear pieces, and I'd have to fiddle with the cable near the plug to make it sound right.  I don't think I tossed them, but I never used them again.  I do not recommend these because of the crap cable and cinch.  What good is it if they sound great but are hard to use, and don't last anyway?  Build quality is very important. That's why I'm eyeing the rha ma750.

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 17
I think I have the second issue of the GR07.  It's older than the mk-2, but it's not the very first issue, which had slightly different packaging and accessories.  I think that the GR07 I have is in every way identical to the original GR07. It has black housing, and silvery translucent springy cables. This is absolutely -not- the bass edition or anything like that (they didn't exist when I got my GR07) Does that answer the question?

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 17
I tried the RE-0 which is supposed to have similar SQ of the RE-400. I just didn't like them. They have less of everything compared to my GR07BE or the GR07MK2 which I've tested along side the RE-0. I just can't find anything wrong with the GR07BE except their limited soundstage. I also have the Tpeos H-100. They have better sub bass and soundstage than the GR07BE but the GR07BE will beat the H-100 in just about anything else.....better overall bass, better treble, less sibilance, more comfortable and easy to get a good fit unlike the huge housing of the H-100.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #12 of 17
 I think I have the second issue of the GR07.  It's older than the mk-2, but it's not the very first issue, which had slightly different packaging and accessories.  I think that the GR07 I have is in every way identical to the original GR07. It has black housing, and silvery translucent springy cables. This is absolutely -not- the bass edition or anything like that (they didn't exist when I got my GR07) Does that answer the question?

Not really, but thank you for the input anyways. I've been trying to figure out why so many people are against the CCE, when the before editions were such a hit.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #13 of 17

Not really, but thank you for the input anyways. I've been trying to figure out why so many people are against the CCE, when the before editions were such a hit.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #14 of 17

I believe its because the SQ of the Classic is still unknown. All GR07s except for the classic uses the bio-cellulose diaphragm. We don't know what diaphragm the Classic is using.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #15 of 17
Sorry for bump this thread, but I will be buying (in Chile - mediaplayer.cl) next month one of these IEMs to pair with FiiO X5.

I read a lot and think GR7 MKII ($160) is a better option than the RE-400 ($95) but I dont know if it will pair nice with FiiO X5 since the GR7 is a 50ohms and the RE-400 is 32ohms.

Could someone here help me with that choice? I dont want to buy a AMP and loose the portability of the X5.

Thx. Arne

Users who are viewing this thread

Back