VSonic GR07 MkII vs GR07 Bass Edition (comparing to Westone UM2)
Jun 9, 2013 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

deltabi

New Head-Fier
Hi, there!
I'm a new poster who would like to replace his Westone UM2 with a new earphones. The reason behind the change is not because I'm not satisfied with the UM2, they simply are dying in my hands after many years of honest service.
I got to the VSonic GR07 after having read a lot of your interesting comments on several nice earphones: Westone 3 and 4, obviously, then the DBA-02, the Yamaha EPH-100, the Rock-it Sounds R-50 and also the T-Peos H-200. After considering all those it looks to me that the GR07 should replace with satisfaction my UM2, but I can't decide between the MkII and the Bass Edition.
Unfortunately the UM2 is the only reference I can provide and I'm wondering how the VSonic plays comparing to it: is it the Bass Edition "too bassy"? I know the UM2 has a "warm" sound signature but I don't know what to expect from GR07, either the MkII or the Bass Edition.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Diego.-

Jun 11, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks! That is the idea I got from reading hundreds of posts and comments on the subject... This is why I've ordered a GR07 Bass Edition! I hope this is the right decision!   

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 8
  Hi, there!
I'm a new poster who would like to replace his Westone UM2 with a new earphones. The reason behind the change is not because I'm not satisfied with the UM2, they simply are dying in my hands after many years of honest service.
I got to the VSonic GR07 after having read a lot of your interesting comments on several nice earphones: Westone 3 and 4, obviously, then the DBA-02, the Yamaha EPH-100, the Rock-it Sounds R-50 and also the T-Peos H-200. After considering all those it looks to me that the GR07 should replace with satisfaction my UM2, but I can't decide between the MkII and the Bass Edition.
Unfortunately the UM2 is the only reference I can provide and I'm wondering how the VSonic plays comparing to it: is it the Bass Edition "too bassy"? I know the UM2 has a "warm" sound signature but I don't know what to expect from GR07, either the MkII or the Bass Edition.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Diego.-

My Gr07 mkii is very bass light...

I just want to preface this response by saying that we're all going to have different thresholds on quantity. That being said - not I, nor a multitude of other people on this site, would have characterized the GR07 to be bass-light. To some (like me) they have a noticeable hump around the mid-bass area, that's done tastefully but definitely matches the UM2 on some regards.

Only thing I would be hesitant towards is that the GR07 has more treble, more sparkle, and isn't as smooth. Something to keep into consideration. Hopefully this wouldn't be a deterrent - other alternatives that remain as smooth like the RE-400 or the BA200 - neither would have the body that the UM2 or the GR07 push out. And the GR07 adds some nice texture into the mix, not as amalgamous and lush, but presents with more of a focus on punch and kick.

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 8
I find the UM2 more neutral than the SE215. To my ears, the SE215 leans more to the bass side - not great extension, but I would say it has more emphasized bass than the UM2. Some people call the UM2 boring, but I prefer to call it smooth. It's easy to listen to for long periods. I also have the Ety HF5, and those lean the other direction - they have more detail than the UM2. I'm sorry, I can't help you on the other models - I've never heard them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back