VSonic GR07 MK2 vs. a recent summer splurge of headphones & IEMs...
Jan 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

espanarules

100+ Head-Fier

[size=1.7em] VSonic GR07 MK2 vs.[/size]

[size=small]From Last summer on, I purchased and tested the following, before stopping with these. In no particular order: BD T770, Ath-M50, sure se 215, rockit sounds R-50, Bose earbuds...ugh...lol, Ultrasone Pro 550, 750, UE 700, thinksound ms-1, ClarityOne, Sony EX310, Ath MKII??,Sony MDR-V700DJ, V-MODA Crossfade LP2 ..., and the Yamaha EPH 100SL... To that point...the EPH were the most fun non balanced armature. For all genres.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]I was looking for something a little tighter and something that gave all instruments a level playing field...aka...flat response...I really couldn't hear any gaps...Nothing is overpowering the other. Excellent flat response, without being boring...and without fatigue. No siblance, from what I can hear. Instrument separation is present, and of course the nuances that can't be heard on less expensive ear buds are there, as well. I did the 200 hr burn in, as suggested.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]I listen to vast arrays of music, from: Alterbridge, Esperanza Spalding, Harry Connick Jr., Seal, Metallica, Joe Pass, Coltrane, Sade, Maxwell, Motley Crue, Faure, Ravel, Miles...Art Blakey, Steve Vai, Satriani, Yo-Yo Ma, Paco de Lucia, Lenny Kravitz, yada yada...[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]There are a ton of tips...of course...but what sticks out....the ear pieces are on a swivel....this allows you to adjust placement direction....These top all IEM under $200...balanced armatures, double, triple...these are the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.[/size]

Trance/Bass/Techno...  Most flat IEMs require you to use you bass boost for these genres...and then sound quality goes down...  NOT WITH THESE!!!
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Quality sonic reproduction is what I was searching for...and these babies pleasantly deliver.[/size]

[size=small]I can personally give feedback on any of the headphones/IEMs mentioned.[/size]

[size=small]GO HEAT!!!![/size]

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 15
I can say I had some good times with this IEM, my favourite for a while.

There's something about the timbre which is addictive also non fatiguing presentation wise. it's no doubt a classic and easy to recommend for all genre's. The reason I sold it was because I feel GR07 lacks any real depth to it's centre channel which is not really a fault as it was designed as a stage monitor, however when looking for that wow factor in soundstage it doesn't have what I want.. Another area I felt it lacks is separation, this is rather obvious when compared to the dynamic micro driver of EPH-100. I think GR07 is a far better IEM than something like EX600 and regret selling it sometimes.

I'll probably buy another one day, possibly wait for this new revised model to come out with a metal housing. it's one of the most popular IEM's here next to triple-fi 10 and won't be disappearing anytime soon. Enjoy your new toys.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 15
That's because flat aint flat or it's too flat, LOL. You can still do better than those but they are good.
bigsmile_face.gif
 Time to spend the big bucks.
tongue_smile.gif

I also thought them pretty good. If I was to get super critical, a touch too much mid bass and could use a bit more sub bass to make it all fit better but generally VG bass character. Top had a bit too much in the sibilance range for me and robbed a bit from it's sense of extension while biting me sometimes, even to these old ears. Res was vg but not with the best. All that said, hard to beat for under $200.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks...I got the II model, ...what is the difference between the orig. model??  I really like the EPH-100...It had some good bass reproduction...Comfort was an issue...and ...when listening to Jazz or rock or metal....I was not getting the "feel" of the cymbals, tom toms and snares...distortion from guitars didn't come out an bite me....lol

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 15
There's a lot of confusion between the original GR07 and MK2 to my understanding all that was changed is the cable material. MK2 has silver plated cable while the original had only copper. More silver was added to the cable to decrease sibilance, to my understanding the drivers were not changed or retuned in anyway.

Regarding the EPH-100 it was very fun, musical sounding IEM, I enjoyed the liquid vocals very much. however it didn't give an essence of audiphille listening like the GR07 does. If you were to spend a $100 on the Colorfly C3 audiophile DAP you would have excellent balance for your GR07 MK2 and great synergy.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 15
I will definitely check that player out...I have to say, though, my 

[size=1.7em] Sony NWZA865BLK 16GB A Series really does it for me...what do you think?[/size]

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 15
The Yamaha EPH100 for more bass
Rockit less siblance...less bass

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #12 of 15
Out of curiosity.
Have you two found iems that overcome these shortcomings?

No, not really. probably the closest I found personally was T-Peos H-100 which cured the above mentioned though has it's own share of separate problems.

Never ends, possibly Westone 3 if you can handle the warmth, probably the next best thing I have here.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #13 of 15
Honestly....The Vsonic...after 200 hrs., I didn't really notice ANY sibilance at all...

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #14 of 15
Honestly....The Vsonic...after 200 hrs., I didn't really notice ANY sibilance at all...

I witnessed the same thing with my pair, I know for sure because I was using the same DAP, same EQ setting same track (Cowon S9) weeks later after several pain staking burn in sessions the sibilance had eased. I have written about this in the GR07 MK2 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back