VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #3,137 of 7,982
Quote:
Mine stayed in the ear guides without issue.  I did decide not to use the guides at all though, once I found proper chin slider use makes the guides useless.  They are more comfortable like that too, imo.

I did try this for a few days when I first got them as I'd never worn over the ear IEMs previously. Having the chin slider tight felt very odd and otherwise the cable kept popping off my ears.

Quote:
I'd get a small hard case if I were you, maybe a Pelican 1010 or something. I just ordered a 1050 with customizable foam inserts to hold all of it - DAP and IEMs. It's not huge but it'll hold everything no problem.

I think I may look into a hard case, keeping everything well protected and together would be a great idea, thanks for the suggestion.
Quote:

I have used gaffer's tape, which is used in lighting and photography. The tape black, it is resistant to heat and it sticks well, with little to no residue when it's time to remove it. Expensive per roll. Although it's available in smaller rolls nowadays.

This is the route I suspect I'll take. Have you wrapped the whole guide or just a few sections?

May 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #3,138 of 7,982
I haven't used gaffer's tape to wrap IEM wire, but might one day. I was describing it's features that could be attractive for that kind of use. Easy to release when needed, with little or no sticky gum effect left on the wires.

May 17, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #3,139 of 7,982
I don't mean to interrupt your mini-thread-within-a-thread, but I just wanted to post my initial impression of the gr07 --- just got them today and have a good 15 minutes of listening!

I love the form-factor; wish they were a tad more isolating.  I might have thought these were the greatest ---- if I hadn't just got the sony ex1000 last week.  But, for the price, these sound very good.  I've got to go try some different sources/amps, try some A/B tests, but I think these might end up being my go-to knock-around IEMs.

May 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #3,140 of 7,982
Sonys you bought are less isolating. Wind noise is common when outside.

May 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #3,141 of 7,982
Quote:
Sonys you bought are less isolating. Wind noise is common when outside.

True.... so maybe one of these days I'll find something that isolated like my old Shure530s .... except at this point I'm not excited by the Shure535s.  The Sonys are not for wearing outside or wearing to bed.  But they're great for some fun listening.  There's little doubt in my mind, though that the gr07s win hands down in bang for your buck.

While I'm here, I haven't read through this whole thread yet.  The included Sony knock-off tips work well for me, but has anyone discussed tips for better isolation?  Comply or some other foam type?

May 17, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #3,142 of 7,982
Quote:
I don't mean to interrupt your mini-thread-within-a-thread, but I just wanted to post my initial impression of the gr07 --- just got them today and have a good 15 minutes of listening!

I love the form-factor; wish they were a tad more isolating.  I might have thought these were the greatest ---- if I hadn't just got the sony ex1000 last week.  But, for the price, these sound very good.  I've got to go try some different sources/amps, try some A/B tests, but I think these might end up being my go-to knock-around IEMs.

Speaking of which, these are very durable - I wouldn't be afraid of damaging them too much.  The strain reliefs come off pretty easily but you just have to glue them back..there's no permanent damage done there.

May 17, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #3,143 of 7,982
Quote:
True.... so maybe one of these days I'll find something that isolated like my old Shure530s .... except at this point I'm not excited by the Shure535s.  The Sonys are not for wearing outside or wearing to bed.  But they're great for some fun listening.  There's little doubt in my mind, though that the gr07s win hands down in bang for your buck.

While I'm here, I haven't read through this whole thread yet.  The included Sony knock-off tips work well for me, but has anyone discussed tips for better isolation?  Comply or some other foam type?

You may find an answer in here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/579151/gr07-tips-thread

It's very important that you find the right tip for these - once you do, they really shine.

May 18, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #3,144 of 7,982
Quote:
You may find an answer in here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/579151/gr07-tips-thread

It's very important that you find the right tip for these - once you do, they really shine.

Thanks, good reading. I'd really like to find a way to get another set of real Sony Hybrid ML (an extra size between medium and large) tips that come included with mdr-ex600 & mdrex1000.  The aftermarket set from Sony only contains S, M, and L.   I guess I'll go ask about this in a sony thread.

May 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #3,145 of 7,982
Hey guys my GR07s just arrived yesterday. I have been listening to them for around 5 hrs now and these things are incredible! Bass is punchy, mids are lush, vocals are so textured, and tremble is so detailed. I am hearing so many more instruments and tiny beats in my songs I have never heard before (even more so than my Klipsh KG4 speakers in my living room). Reggae, Trance, Rock, Pop, and Acoustic all sound great. I am very happy with these guys. They provide an amazing listening experience. 

Over the past month I have tried out the Klipsch S4s, UE700 and UE600, Shure 215, and Atrio MG7. The gr07s are by far the best our of these guys. None of them come close in my opinion. S4s and mg7s beat them in quantity of bass (but not quality), 215s were not lively or textured, ue700s had a ton of sibilance (and not as much detail, and no bass).

If I had to say one bad things about them it would be the "2d effect". By that i mean that the sound doesn't fully surround you. It almost feels like there are a really nice pair of speakers sitting in front of me as opposed to earbuds in my ears. However, it still is engaging and some songs really do surround you. They just aren't as engaging as the other earphones. Additionally, there isn't much sub bass (mg7 kill them in this department, although the bass on the mg7 isn't as textured.)

Im still figuring out which tips I should get. Sounds like the jays the ones though. Anyone know where I can buy them? Also what about the sony hybrids http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337382261&sr=8-1

P.S. Thanks a lot to everyone who posts on this site. I have been reading a TON of appreciation threads on all these earbuds over the past 2 months. Everyones input really helped me make my choice here and i'm very happy with the result. 

May 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #3,146 of 7,982
Quote:
Indeed. Mine have become rather loose as well. I was actually going to ask if others have had the same thing happen. I was hoping it wasn't just me 
wink.gif

I'm not so much a fan of it, I preferred the way they felt when new, where you could adjust them if you wanted but they weren't loose enough to move rather easily on their own. For people like me who like to try out different tips often it also makes it a bit more finicky to swapping them out.

The nozzles on my GR07 have suddenly loosened up after about one month of ownership. They were really tight when I first got them, but now they move when I gently touch them. I also preferred them tight since they didn't move around so easily. Too bad they can't be tightened, at least based on what I've read in this thread.

So should the nozzles normally loosen up, or should they still be tight?

I got a GR06 with really tight nozzle joints, but I only had those for a week. Maybe those will also loosen up like with my GR07.

May 19, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #3,147 of 7,982
Quote:

The nozzles on my GR07 have suddenly loosened up after about one month of ownership. They were really tight when I first got them, but now they move when I gently touch them. I also preferred them tight since they didn't move around so easily. Too bad they can't be tightened, at least based on what I've read in this thread.

I got a GR06 with really tight nozzle joints, but I only had those for a week. Maybe those will also loosen up like with my GR07.

I guess it's normal for the nozzles to get looser after some use, and eventually, it will happen the same with your GR06... 
rolleyes.gif

May 19, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #3,148 of 7,982
I thought nozzle movement was a feature and longed for mine to move effortlessly. The idea being, given an IEM body that lay flat into the ear; the direction of each person's ear canal is subtly different among a sampling of users. The moveable nozzle accommodates each.

May 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #3,149 of 7,982
Quote:

Yup Nozzles open up with a short amount of time. You may get used to it

May 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #3,150 of 7,982
Quote:
Hey guys my GR07s just arrived yesterday. I have been listening to them for around 5 hrs now and these things are incredible! Bass is punchy, mids are lush, vocals are so textured, and tremble is so detailed. I am hearing so many more instruments and tiny beats in my songs I have never heard before (even more so than my Klipsh KG4 speakers in my living room). Reggae, Trance, Rock, Pop, and Acoustic all sound great. I am very happy with these guys. They provide an amazing listening experience. 

Over the past month I have tried out the Klipsch S4s, UE700 and UE600, Shure 215, and Atrio MG7. The gr07s are by far the best our of these guys. None of them come close in my opinion. S4s and mg7s beat them in quantity of bass (but not quality), 215s were not lively or textured, ue700s had a ton of sibilance (and not as much detail, and no bass).

If I had to say one bad things about them it would be the "2d effect". By that i mean that the sound doesn't fully surround you. It almost feels like there are a really nice pair of speakers sitting in front of me as opposed to earbuds in my ears. However, it still is engaging and some songs really do surround you. They just aren't as engaging as the other earphones. Additionally, there isn't much sub bass (mg7 kill them in this department, although the bass on the mg7 isn't as textured.)

Im still figuring out which tips I should get. Sounds like the jays the ones though. Anyone know where I can buy them? Also what about the sony hybrids http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337382261&sr=8-1

P.S. Thanks a lot to everyone who posts on this site. I have been reading a TON of appreciation threads on all these earbuds over the past 2 months. Everyones input really helped me make my choice here and i'm very happy with the result. 

Very nice. Sub bass may surprise you in time. are these brand new?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back