VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #2,956 of 7,982

Quote:
Instrument separation does not depend on "personal opinion." you just described the GR07 as 'congested' and now you're saying they're analytical and accurate. The hours of burn in on my pair is irrelevant to this argument. I'm listening to some reggaeton, and I can literally feel some of the low notes.
I essentially see two issues here. 1) you didn't get a good fit AND, 2) you seem to have a hard time with the terms.

FACEPALM: 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ________
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #2,957 of 7,982

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't get the 3D effect from the TF10. Maybe you're talking about more prominent mid-bass. If that's the case, then you'd be correct. 

I won't argue over which has better instrument separation because I don't really remember much about the TF10's, but I've NEVER heard the GR07 get congested like you mentioned.

Congrats on finding your signature though. It's a blessing on your wallet.

I didn't really get the mid-bass feeling with the tf10's.  But as far as accuracy goes. I played some very busy songs on the gr07, and they just sounded clashy, like there was no separation to the instruments at all.  Perhaps its just personal preference.  But I even chose my future sonic atrio's over the 07's.  I wouldn't classify myself as a basshead, but I do feel that without bass you have a very analytic, un-natural sounding pair of headphones.  I enjoyed the gr07. But every time I popped them in, I had this feeling of "Wheres the rest of the sound?". Maybe its just me.  I dont mind analytic sounding headphones either.  I had the se425, which in my opinion is the most boring sounding headphone ever created.  And I loved them!

Just a thought, perhaps the congested sound came from the recording? Sometimes I find that when you have a bad recording, it sounds worse on the GR07s because you can hear the lack of separation contrast with what you normally hear.

Quote:
Quote:
Are you saying that there is no difference b/w the midbass of the tf10 and gr07? I know for a fact that the gr07 has more low rumble than the tf10, so the added bass you must be talking about has to come from the midbass. As for instrument separation...you must be joking.
It's funny that you said you wondered where the rest of the sound of the gr07 was. I had the exact same sentiments regarding the tf10. I have no issue with you liking the tf10 over the gr07. Just don't get your terms mixed up, mkay?
wink.gif

I just felt literally no low rumble with the gr07.  In which I do feel with the tf10.  Physics says the gr07 should have more low rumble.  I just feel like my gr07 experience was nothing like anyone else experienced.  Which worries me.  Because I generally like every headphone, and its hard for me to find a pair I dont like.  How long did you burn in?  I feel like the separation is greater on the tf10 vs the gr07. Just my personal opinion. I also find the soundstage to be huge on the tf10.  The gr07 not to far behind in soundstage.  The gr07 was definitely more analytic and accurate sounding.

Yeah, I think I'm inclined to think that maybe you weren't getting a solid seal, if you couldn't hear subbass.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #2,958 of 7,982

Quote:
Just a thought, perhaps the congested sound came from the recording? Sometimes I find that when you have a bad recording, it sounds worse on the GR07s because you can hear the lack of separation contrast with what you normally hear.

Yeah, I think I'm inclined to think that maybe you weren't getting a solid seal, if you couldn't hear subbass.

The GR07 is extremely sensitive to the seal, how it sits in your ear, the shape of your ear canal and the tips you use...far moreso than any other IEM I've ever used.  It is rather odd...

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #2,959 of 7,982

Quote:
The GR07 is extremely sensitive to the seal, how it sits in your ear, the shape of your ear canal and the tips you use...far moreso than any other IEM I've ever used.  It is rather odd...

Poor guy. I hope you unsubscribed from getting emails when this thread is updated.

Quote:
FACEPALM: 

. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;

I'm sorry. Did I make a mistake? Please correct me if I did.

As for the person who got your GR07, I'd be extremely curious to see how he hears them.

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #2,961 of 7,982
The GR07 is pretty source(music) independent, more so than many IEMs I have tried so far.

I'll respectfully disagree in that I think they are much more source (player) independent than source (music) independent. They're very picky to recording and encoding as far as I've experienced.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #2,962 of 7,982

Quote:
I'll respectfully disagree in that I think they are much more source (player) independent than source (music) independent. They're very picky to recording and encoding as far as I've experienced.

Don't you both mean dependent? At any rate, I think they're pretty finicky and let you know pretty quickly if the source (music) is sub-par. I've only used mine with a rockboxed ipod video w/o any amping, so my experience is extremely limited. I am finding that getting a good seal is pretty important as others have mentioned. Unfortunately, good tips are hard to find here in Saigon. There is a shop that sells Comply foams that fit but they're 6 dollars a wack and they just don't last long enough to justify the expenditure even though they bring out that nice sub-bass rumble and tame the highs a bit. I think my last pair lasted maybe a month or so because of the heat and humidity I think...it feels like I'm being taxed just for owning them...customs are definitely in my future.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #2,963 of 7,982
Don't you both mean dependent? At any rate, I think they're pretty finicky and let you know pretty quickly if the source (music) is sub-par. I've only used mine with a rockboxed ipod video w/o any amping, so my experience is extremely limited. I am finding that getting a good seal is pretty important as others have mentioned. Unfortunately, good tips are hard to find here in Saigon. There is a shop that sells Comply foams that fit but they're 6 dollars a wack and they just don't last long enough to justify the expenditure even though they bring out that nice sub-bass rumble and tame the highs a bit. I think my last pair lasted maybe a month or so because of the heat and humidity I think...it feels like I'm being taxed just for owning them...customs are definitely in my future.

That's pretty much what I meant, that they are recording/file quality dependent and not so much source (player) dependent, keeping their signature mostly intact across different players. That's why many people probably say amping them doesn't really help (some people say it does). They definitely subscribe to garbage in garbage out, brutalizing poor recordings/encodings as of they are asking you "do you reaaally want to listen to this??"

Boldest above is depressing.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #2,964 of 7,982

Quote:

I agree. They perform similarly across all my music players due to the 50 ohm impedance that stabilizes SQ. The real issue is the quality of the recording. They benefit far more from higher quality recordings than from an amp.

@doublea71
I may have some extra silicon tips laying around that I could give you for the cost of shipping. Those should last a lifetime. PM me if you're interested.

BTW, has anyone looked at the possibility of custom tips for the GR07? 

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #2,965 of 7,982

Quote:

This Comment is so true. Right now I have been using these big HI-Fiman dual flange, and I can can get  great seal (after a little finagling) And the instrument separation, and lOooooW Rumble is superb.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #2,966 of 7,982
I really want to give the Monster Supertips a try, but they're so expensive...$30 for a set of them.  I wanna try out Comply tips too but the shipping to Canada is a pain.  Only foam tips I have right now are the JAYS ones and they're not bad...but not excellent either.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #2,967 of 7,982
Late to the party, but at least I arrived.  I'm subjecting the GR07's to my usual test playlist and I must say, I'm impressed and really enjoying the heck out of them.  No sibilance to be found yet, good separation and soundstage, excellent texture and detail in the low end and mids and very natural decay, all with the stock tips.  I don't find them hyper detailed or analytical, they seem very natural so far.  They're not colored per se and I only detect a touch of warmth. I'll let them settle in and do some tip rolling later, right now I'm having too good a time listening.  This is just an early impression based on a handful of tracks, but I'm glad I picked these up. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #2,968 of 7,982

Quote:
Late to the party, but at least I arrived.  I'm subjecting the GR07's to my usual test playlist and I must say, I'm impressed and really enjoying the heck out of them.  No sibilance to be found yet, good separation and soundstage, excellent texture and detail in the low end and mids and very natural decay, all with the stock tips.  I don't find them hyper detailed or analytical, they seem very natural so far.  They're not colored per se and I only detect a touch of warmth. I'll let them settle in and do some tip rolling later, right now I'm having too good a time listening.  This is just an early impression based on a handful of tracks, but I'm glad I picked these up. 

+1, This is what I feel too with my GR07

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #2,969 of 7,982
alright I took a listen to my friends my vsonic gr07. His sound very different from mine.  Mine were 100% authentic purchased from an authorized dealer.  But they didnt sound warm at all. But they sounded better than mine big time! burn-in perhaps? or factory error?

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #2,970 of 7,982

alright I took a listen to my friends my vsonic gr07. His sound very different from mine.  Mine were 100% authentic purchased from an authorized dealer.  But they didnt sound warm at all. But they sounded better than mine big time! burn-in perhaps? or factory error?

Quote:
FACEPALM: