VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #2,941 of 7,982

Quote:
It's not so much the recessed and/or muddy midrange that bothers me. What I really found offensive was the plasticky/metallic sheen over the sound. Overall, they simply don't carry nearly the same level of texture or tonality as their price/reputation would suggest. What really made me upset was the fact that my recently acquired monoprice 8320 could be eq'ed to perform on a similar level. People think I'm joking when I say it, but I'm really not.
Anyway, enough bashing. People seem to enjoy them, so I won't say anything further

nah  I mean every headphone has it ups and downs. Also. I listen to indie rock, rock, hip-hop, classical, classic rock, r&b, and gangsta rappp.  I will say that the gr07 was much more accurate sounding.  But it didnt have that full 3D feeling I love!  We could argue all day why one is better than the other, but it all comes down to preference in the long run.  Its what kind of sound "YOU" yourself enjoys.

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #2,942 of 7,982

Quote:
nah  I mean every headphone has it ups and downs. Also. I listen to indie rock, rock, hip-hop, classical, classic rock, r&b, and gangsta rappp.  I will say that the gr07 was much more accurate sounding.  But it didnt have that full 3D feeling I love!  We could argue all day why one is better than the other, but it all comes down to preference in the long run.  Its what kind of sound "YOU" yourself enjoys.

I didn't get the 3D effect from the TF10. Maybe you're talking about more prominent mid-bass. If that's the case, then you'd be correct. 

I won't argue over which has better instrument separation because I don't really remember much about the TF10's, but I've NEVER heard the GR07 get congested like you mentioned.

Congrats on finding your signature though. It's a blessing on your wallet.

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #2,943 of 7,982

Quote:
I've NEVER heard the GR07 get congested

Same here.. 
cool.gif

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #2,944 of 7,982

Quote:

True enough, but this is headfi so people probably will and do argue all day!

I agree, its down to your own ears and brain.

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #2,945 of 7,982

Quote:
I didn't get the 3D effect from the TF10. Maybe you're talking about more prominent mid-bass. If that's the case, then you'd be correct. 

I won't argue over which has better instrument separation because I don't really remember much about the TF10's, but I've NEVER heard the GR07 get congested like you mentioned.

Congrats on finding your signature though. It's a blessing on your wallet.

I didn't really get the mid-bass feeling with the tf10's.  But as far as accuracy goes. I played some very busy songs on the gr07, and they just sounded clashy, like there was no separation to the instruments at all.  Perhaps its just personal preference.  But I even chose my future sonic atrio's over the 07's.  I wouldn't classify myself as a basshead, but I do feel that without bass you have a very analytic, un-natural sounding pair of headphones.  I enjoyed the gr07. But every time I popped them in, I had this feeling of "Wheres the rest of the sound?". Maybe its just me.  I dont mind analytic sounding headphones either.  I had the se425, which in my opinion is the most boring sounding headphone ever created.  And I loved them!

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #2,946 of 7,982
Are you saying that there is no difference b/w the midbass of the tf10 and gr07? I know for a fact that the gr07 has more low rumble than the tf10, so the added bass you must be talking about has to come from the midbass. As for instrument separation...you must be joking.

It's funny that you said you wondered where the rest of the sound of the gr07 was. I had the exact same sentiments regarding the tf10. I have no issue with you liking the tf10 over the gr07. Just don't get your terms mixed up, mkay? :wink:

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #2,948 of 7,982

Quote:
Are you saying that there is no difference b/w the midbass of the tf10 and gr07? I know for a fact that the gr07 has more low rumble than the tf10, so the added bass you must be talking about has to come from the midbass. As for instrument separation...you must be joking.
It's funny that you said you wondered where the rest of the sound of the gr07 was. I had the exact same sentiments regarding the tf10. I have no issue with you liking the tf10 over the gr07. Just don't get your terms mixed up, mkay?
wink.gif

I just felt literally no low rumble with the gr07.  In which I do feel with the tf10.  Physics says the gr07 should have more low rumble.  I just feel like my gr07 experience was nothing like anyone else experienced.  Which worries me.  Because I generally like every headphone, and its hard for me to find a pair I dont like.  How long did you burn in?  I feel like the separation is greater on the tf10 vs the gr07. Just my personal opinion. I also find the soundstage to be huge on the tf10.  The gr07 not to far behind in soundstage.  The gr07 was definitely more analytic and accurate sounding.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #2,949 of 7,982
Instrument separation does not depend on "personal opinion." you just described the GR07 as 'congested' and now you're saying they're analytical and accurate. The hours of burn in on my pair is irrelevant to this argument. I'm listening to some reggaeton, and I can literally feel some of the low notes.

I essentially see two issues here. 1) you didn't get a good fit AND, 2) you seem to have a hard time with the terms.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #2,952 of 7,982
Every headphone would sound 3D with those kind of recordings...

Quote:
Wo that is mindblowing. Sort of reminds me of Dolby Sound Room.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #2,953 of 7,982
Wo that is mindblowing. Sort of reminds me of Dolby Sound Room.

Yea, the GR07 in my opinion is very recording dependent and resultingly very accurate.
Something interesting that agrees with my opinion is that while looking up binaural recording I read that traditional recording methods don't pick up height information. Most people also say that the GR07 doesn't have much height to the soundstage. But, if you listen to a binaural recording like the matchbox one where they shake it above your head, you'll hear that the GR07 is definitely capable of representing height.

This makes sense to me since I think of the GR07 as accurate because it is capable of soundstage height but doesn't artificially create it.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #2,954 of 7,982
Every headphone would sound 3D with those kind of recordings...

Not to the same extent. Try a closed in sounding IEM and then the GR07 and you'll hear a clear difference.

Also, interestingly, the ASG-1 which has a very "3D" or enveloping presentation to begin with, and good height, doesn't sound much more "3D" than the GR07 with those recordings.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #2,955 of 7,982

Quote:
Not to the same extent. Try a closed in sounding IEM and then the GR07 and you'll hear a clear difference.
Also, interestingly, the ASG-1 which has a very "3D" or enveloping presentation to begin with, and good height, doesn't sound much more "3D" than the GR07 with those recordings.

I tried this with my MEElec A151s, and I've found certain parts to be less satisfactory, like when barber is using the electric razor. No idea whether that has to do with the limitation of headphones in general or just mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back