VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #2,176 of 7,982

Quote:
Damn. I'm really afraid that I'll clog them with earwax but it doesn't look easy to remove them either.

You could always look into getting new tips, I know the TX-400 have a built-in filter to keep ear wax and other debris out of the phones, there may be other companies with similar ones.

And on that note... I just received my Comply T-400 tips today, and have been listening to them for a few hours now on my GR07's. There are some aspects that I'm loving, some that I'm liking, and some I'm not too fond of.

Fit - First, the tips themselves only fit firmly when seated over the wider base of the nozzle. This makes me wonder whether the fit will be strong enough for a lot of trips in and out of my ears or if they will pop off on their own and get lost. On my first day of using them they are still snug and I have no complaints at this time. After putting these on and listening to a few of my 'test' tracks there was one thing I noticed... errr... rather I *didn't* notice, and that was the complete and utter comfort they provided. In all honestly I hadn't noticed it until I did, but after a few minutes of having them in the only thing I could feel was the cable behind my ear. The earphones had completely disappeared and I was TRYING to feel them. This realization took over my thoughts for a few minutes. I gave them the good ol "let's shake my head really hard" test and they did not budge at all, not even a micron. I also tried various things which has made previous tips move around - eating, smoking, yawning - again, no movement whatsoever.  I thought the foam tips supplied by VSonic were good, but compared to the Comply's they feel like lead weights stapled to your head. These things have won my vote in the fit department for their comfort, seal, and stability. If you need something to stay in place while on the treadmill, at work as a jackhammer operator, or if you walk face-first into a lot of objects I would suggest trying these out.

Sound - Now onto the part where I scratch my chin a bit. As mentioned by others who have used foam tips - notably the Comply's - these do increase the bass of the IEM quite noticeably. Ok, they don't really increase the bass, but between the better seal and the soft foam muffling some of the highs they lend a rather low overall tone. However, I never had the impression the GR07's needed more bass. I don't know whether I got blessed with a pair which is missing the epitomical sibilance, or whether I just enjoyed the clear and detailed highs more than I thought I did. To me this increased bass doesn't sound natural, it feels more like some kind of bass-boost and it can be quite noticeable depending on what you're listening to. When listening to some acoustic guitar and some lighter indie music they all sounded slightly faded and a bit muffled. The deeper parts of the guitar chords would also overpower the highs, so you wind up with the details being pushed into the background even more. This lower tone can work to your advantage though. I must admit I have come across quite a few tracks where the extra bass has been an improvement  - some electronic music, dubstep (Thank you Captain Obvious!), various rock, and other genres may actually benefit from the increased low-end if that is the kind of thing you are looking for.

Overall I would give these a thumbs up and a positive recommendation when paired with the GR07. I cannot say anything bad about the fit or comfort of these tips and have actually been pleasantly surprised by them. I would highly suggest starting off with one of the multi-size sets if this is your first time purchasing the T-400 tips. The sizes are not wildly varied, but the small changes do add up to a noticeable difference in fit and comfort. Depending on the genres you listen to and your personal preferences the increased low-end may be a hinderance, a benefit, or a nonissue completely.

- Woody

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #2,178 of 7,982
You, sir....

I thought the core would be too hard and would be uncomfortable in the ear, but I can't feel it once it's seated. I will give this a few hours of listening to see how this fares for long-term use.

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #2,179 of 7,982

Quote:
You, sir....

I thought the core would be too hard and would be uncomfortable in the ear, but I can't feel it once it's seated. I will give this a few hours of listening to see how this fares for long-term use.

Glad to help. I hope you grow to love your GR07 as much as I do mine 
beerchug.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #2,180 of 7,982

Quote:
Glad to help. I hope you grow to love your GR07 as much as I do mine 
beerchug.gif

Oh yeah, I've been in love with the GR07's since I got them 
ksc75smile.gif
 Like I mentioned, I never experienced any issues with sibilance even out of the box. I have been playing around with the tips a bit more, too - adjusting the depth they're covering the nozzle, making sure the nozzle is pointing directly through the tip and not off at an angle - and I think I may have found a happy spot with them. They're currently mounted normally instead of being reversed as you suggested. The bass is a very small amount higher than with the foam-filled silicone tips I was using previously, but the highs and mids sound much more pronounced and the details are clear again. These are definitely a work in progress, but I think things are looking up from here. I will definitely be doing some more A/Bing with various little tweaks and going between standard mount and reversed.

- Woody

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #2,181 of 7,982
Darn.

Just got the GR07s and it was the best first-impression I have ever had from an IEM.

BUT...I am definitely noticing sibilance on some tracks...more than I am comfortable with.
I have only burned them in about 24 hours so far.  

Is there any chance this will change significantly with more burn-in time?  If so, what is the point where you guys have noticed improvement?

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #2,182 of 7,982

Quote:
Darn.

Just got the GR07s and it was the best first-impression I have ever had from an IEM.

BUT...I am definitely noticing sibilance on some tracks...more than I am comfortable with.
I have only burned them in about 24 hours so far.  

Is there any chance this will change significantly with more burn-in time?  If so, what is the point where you guys have noticed improvement?

the sibilance will go away after about 300hours

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #2,184 of 7,982

Quote:
the sibilance will go away after about 300hours

Interesting. I have about 200 hours on mine now, and definitely noticed the biggest change at around the 175 hours. It's quite remarkable how different they sound now, actually.  

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #2,185 of 7,982
On some sourse like Teclast T51 , the sibilance issue never goes away, even with Sony Hybrids... It depends much on the character of your source. GR07 sound great with Cowon DAP's, Hifiman 601... Bright source tend to make Gr07 bass light, sibilant, mid-fi-sh earphones

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #2,186 of 7,982
I have just asked for opinion of Heatfan12 at his interesting VSonic thread so whats about you and how much points you will give to each VSonic model regarding the Multi IEM Review of 208 IEMs compared.

Quoting myself:
You can count this as my first post as I must say I was really intrigued by your review of VSonic brand IEM-s. Alongside my Sennheisers HD558, HD25-1 II & PX100, VSonic would by my primary choice for IEM. I have to decide between GR06 and GR07 or even GR04. I am just done of reading through Multi IEM Review of 208 IEMs compared and that score system implemented there was really helpful to determine the differences between. I am completely aware that scoring system cannot be exact as people have different taste about music as everything else. Still, I find it as great guideline to all of us judging from number of posts there. That's why, I really wonder now, how you much points you will give to each VSonic (R04 Pro, GR04, GR06), a current family of phones in regard of different categories. On example, VSonic GR07 got for Accessories (4.5/5), Build Quality (4.5/5), Isolation (4/5), Microphonics (4.5/5), Comfort (4/5), Sound (9.1/10) so Ijokerl counts that as value of (9.5/10).

I personally cannot decide between GR06 and GR07, I would be really thankful for your for comparison as mentioned.

Regards,
Ivan

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #2,187 of 7,982

Quote:

You could always look into getting new tips, I know the TX-400 have a built-in filter to keep ear wax and other debris out of the phones, there may be other companies with similar ones.

And on that note... I just received my Comply T-400 tips today, and have been listening to them for a few hours now on my GR07's. There are some aspects that I'm loving, some that I'm liking, and some I'm not too fond of.

Fit - First, the tips themselves only fit firmly when seated over the wider base of the nozzle. This makes me wonder whether the fit will be strong enough for a lot of trips in and out of my ears or if they will pop off on their own and get lost. On my first day of using them they are still snug and I have no complaints at this time. After putting these on and listening to a few of my 'test' tracks there was one thing I noticed... errr... rather I *didn't* notice, and that was the complete and utter comfort they provided. In all honestly I hadn't noticed it until I did, but after a few minutes of having them in the only thing I could feel was the cable behind my ear. The earphones had completely disappeared and I was TRYING to feel them. This realization took over my thoughts for a few minutes. I gave them the good ol "let's shake my head really hard" test and they did not budge at all, not even a micron. I also tried various things which has made previous tips move around - eating, smoking, yawning - again, no movement whatsoever.  I thought the foam tips supplied by VSonic were good, but compared to the Comply's they feel like lead weights stapled to your head. These things have won my vote in the fit department for their comfort, seal, and stability. If you need something to stay in place while on the treadmill, at work as a jackhammer operator, or if you walk face-first into a lot of objects I would suggest trying these out.

Sound - Now onto the part where I scratch my chin a bit. As mentioned by others who have used foam tips - notably the Comply's - these do increase the bass of the IEM quite noticeably. Ok, they don't really increase the bass, but between the better seal and the soft foam muffling some of the highs they lend a rather low overall tone. However, I never had the impression the GR07's needed more bass. I don't know whether I got blessed with a pair which is missing the epitomical sibilance, or whether I just enjoyed the clear and detailed highs more than I thought I did. To me this increased bass doesn't sound natural, it feels more like some kind of bass-boost and it can be quite noticeable depending on what you're listening to. When listening to some acoustic guitar and some lighter indie music they all sounded slightly faded and a bit muffled. The deeper parts of the guitar chords would also overpower the highs, so you wind up with the details being pushed into the background even more. This lower tone can work to your advantage though. I must admit I have come across quite a few tracks where the extra bass has been an improvement  - some electronic music, dubstep (Thank you Captain Obvious!), various rock, and other genres may My and comfort. Depending on the genres you listen to and your personal preferences the increased low-end may be a hinderance, a benefit, or a nonissue completely.

- Woody

Excellent!! Thank You for taking the time to share. I really want to try the Ts's

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #2,188 of 7,982

Quote:
You, sir....

^this is funny

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #2,189 of 7,982
Hey guys.

Count me in as one of the happy owners of the GR07.

Im not an audiophile, but i know that something is ok if I like it, and I like the GR07.

It's got bass, treble, and whatever else it has.:wink:

One thing is for sure, it gets a lot better with burn in.  Mine seemed to sound better after 3weeks of listening.  It just felt loose and ready to move air compared to when I first got it.  I really don' know how to explain it, but it does get better.  But too bad, mine only lasted 1 month before one side stopped working.  Its ok though, headphonebar replaced it asap.  I forgot too charge them for burn in though:)

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #2,190 of 7,982

Quote:
it gets a lot better with burn in.  Mine seemed to sound better after 3weeks of listening.  It just felt loose and ready to move air compared to when I first got it.  I really don' know how to explain it, but it does get better.

Does this refer to dynamics?
A certain capability to deliver sound effortlessly?

This was another of the issues  I heard out of the box - a certain lack of dynamics, power, it sounded a bit constrained, compressed.

ljokerl, however, says in his review that the GR07 has very good dynamic range (is this what I'm talking about here?), almost as good as the RE262...
And Clieus said that this is one of the aspects that improved with burn-in... more dynamic...

Is this one of the aspects I can expect to hear the biggest diffrence?

What do you people have to say about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back