VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jul 28, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #301 of 7,982
Absolutely loving the sound of the GR07 unfortunately the stock tips really don't agree with my ears. I see the general consensus are the monster supertips. Do they fit by default or do you need to modify them? I really want a good seal but the stock tips actually irritate my ears. :frowning2:

Jul 28, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #302 of 7,982

[size=medium]
I just found out why I found the GR07 sounded so dark. 

The cable was the problem. If I bend the cable in a certain way (such as tilting my head up), the treble is noticeably louder. 

Unfortunately I have already chosen my mind and return these as I think a for $10 more, a Brainwavz B2 + Fiio E11 would be a better match for my sound signatures. For $170, I think it is a steal to get a DBA-02 like (without the channel imbalance) AND a quality amp (which will be my first amp).

I retract all comments on the GR07 being dark, as I find them normal now. They are not as bright as the RE0, but they're definitely not lacking in treble.

Also, I would like to thank Lend Me UR Ears for generously paying for return shipping for my broken GR07. Even though their response sometimes may not be timely, they are very kind people to deal with.
[/size]

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #303 of 7,982
OK I took a cheap soldering iron and after heating is up and letting it cool a bit I easily passed it through a pair of Shure Olive Tips softening the core. From there I was able to easily expand the tip and fitted it on my GR07 and all I can say is wow. My only complaint about the GR07 was that cymbals were ever so slightly to silvery sounding versus brassy sounding and the Olive Tips changed the signature just that tiny bit. These now have as close to the perfect reproduction of cymbals I have heard. It has also ever so slightly changed the sound stage (this might also just be the difference in seal) making it slightly smaller so I am going to modify another pair of Olives and use a pair of small needle nose pliers to expand the ear side of the tip making it more horn shaped and then fit the tip on the IEM while it's still warm and pliant to see if that helps the sound stage a bit.

In any case it's pretty darn easy (I am a true clutz with a soldering iron and I was able to do this...) to fit Olive Tips on the GR07

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #304 of 7,982
Just curious, what's the difference between a 'silvery' and 'brassy' sounding cymbal?

Quote:
My only complaint about the GR07 was that cymbals were ever so slightly to silvery sounding versus brassy sounding and the Olive Tips changed the signature just that tiny bit. These now have as close to the perfect reproduction of cymbals I have heard.

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #305 of 7,982
Good question. If you ever hear a silver bell vs a brass bell the silver bell is higher pitched than brass which is why I used that description. In the end though I think a better explanation is that some IEM's emphasize the sound region of the cymbal crash which then overshadows the sizzle and decay (brass) and other IEM's emphasize the sound region that emphasize the sizzle and decay (silver). The GR07 seemed to lean more to the latter but the Olive tips seem to have tamed that region ever so slightly so they are not brassy or silvery making that area more neutral.

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #306 of 7,982
Hmm... I'll try to pay attention to that next time... for some reason, my ears are weird compared to other people. While everyone seems to think that stringed instruments sound off with the GR07, I find that they're perfectly acceptable and fairly accurate --- and this is coming from a guy who played the violin for a good part of 15 years.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #307 of 7,982
I love stringed instruments on my GR07 too so my ears must be off as well. My only issue was cymbals and it was not unbearable by any stretch. I tried the Shure Olive tips mainly in response to another thread and because I like their comfort so wasn't really looking to change the signature of the GR07, which was why it was a pleasant surprise.

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #308 of 7,982
I had recently came back from my holidays. It was a long bus trip, over 20 hours.. My Vsonic GR07 prove fantastic long-trip IEM.s . I had never felt any fatigue even after 12 hours use. They  sound soft , neutral and engaiging the same time, and they fit perfectly my ear channal (Sony Hybrid) . I had even fallen asleep for about 4 hours with these in my ear playing some easy listening stuff..  If you ask me now which IEM's am I gonna buy next, right now, I am gonna say VSonic GR07 forever :)

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #309 of 7,982
x2

Quote:
I had recently came back from my holidays. It was a long bus trip, over 20 hours.. My Vsonic GR07 prove fantastic long-trip IEM.s . I had never felt any fatigue even after 12 hours use. They  sound soft , neutral and engaiging the same time, and they fit perfectly my ear channal (Sony Hybrid) . I had even fallen asleep for about 4 hours with these in my ear playing some easy listening stuff..  If you ask me now which IEM's am I gonna buy next, right now, I am gonna say VSonic GR07 forever :)

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #310 of 7,982
If my pair broke tomorrow I would be ordering a new pair as soon as I had the funds. Zero desire at this point to try something different.

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #311 of 7,982

Quote:
If my pair broke tomorrow I would be ordering a new pair as soon as I had the funds. Zero desire at this point to try something different.

X2, although I have to say that the GR07 is the little brother of the W4. I still love the GR07, and it render drums more realistically to my ears than the W4 (and many others), but overall i'm quite impressed with the W4. Very nice detailed sound, and it and the GR07 kind of remind me of each other.

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #312 of 7,982
Goodbye, Monster foamies.. hello, real Sony Hybrids (with foam ring)!  Final stop? Custom sleeves from 1964.

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #313 of 7,982
Today I picked up a package of comply t400 tips from radioshack and then pulled the cores out of the stock vsonic foam tips and placed them in the comply's.  I must say this is the best combination of tips that I have tried thus far for isolation and sq. 

I have never tried a pair of olives but I may place an order pending your further analysis dweaver.

How did you modify the sony hybrids flysweep?

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #314 of 7,982

Quote:
Goodbye, Monster foamies.. hello, real Sony Hybrids (with foam ring)!  Final stop? Custom sleeves from 1964.

Interesting @ FlySweep. I too have settled on the Sony Hybrids for the GR07. For me, the LL lavender ones work best for me in giving great bass, but not interfering with the mids and highs. By the way, I have the W4 in my ears right now and I like them better than I've ever imagined. Not ready to rank them yet (although they are technically better than the R07) because I'm still enamored with the Vsonic.

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #315 of 7,982
Yeah, how are you guys getting the hybrids to stay on?  I love the whites and would love to use them on the 07s, but I can't keep em on.  I'd assume I have to get something to widen the tube from the headphone, but have no idea what to put on there that would everything stay in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back