VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #241 of 7,982
My GR-07's have over 100 hours on them now and the upper mids are where they should be now at lower volumes.  The sony hybrid tips also add more seal and seem to extend on both ends of the spectrum slightly.  I still feel that I could get a better seal from a larger double flange however the sony's will work fine for now.

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #242 of 7,982
Quote:
I've tried Sony Hybrids (fake) and Comply T200 foam (beside stock tips). I'll check for Monster tips too some time later... As for now, I like Sony's the most. They are softer then stock tips and bring better treble extension then comply foam.. I suggest you buy the original one's as I think, these would work the best for VSonic GR07.

No, the Hybrids don't do anything to the extension, perhaps even slightly reduce it. What they do is add some dB of ~13.5kHz resonance. Check it yourself with some tones. I think the... interestingly shaped... VSonic silicone tips did better. Should grab some gels to complete my tip collection too.
rolleyes.gif

Extension of R07 ends around 17kHz, which is decent, but not superb; low end starts rolling around 38 Hz and sharply below 30 Hz.
Sharper than 12 dB/oct, so no superior low end for you even with eq. It's not Atrio or Brainwavz M2 also known as VSonic R03 [not sold as such anymore]. The latter after eq is on par with the former bass-wise... remind me later to grab Atrios for a direct comparison again. Decay is pretty fine, but the aforementioned IEMs do better.

T200 of the right size do not affect extension, but for me linearize highs by dropping about 1.5 dB of sibilance and not adding the high resonance, resulting in more linear highs (to my ears).
T140 or T130 should be even better by allowing deeper insertion. If it fits, T140 would be better, less likely to occlude the nozzle with foam - when Comply foam occludes the nozzle, it indeed takes away a bit of extreme high end.

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #244 of 7,982
Anybody play around with EQ with the GR07?

I have 140+ hours of burn-in on it now, and have started to really enjoy it with my music. However, when on-the-go, I like to listen to dubstep on my iPhone4 and have found that I really enjoy it more with a 2db gain on 35Hz, 75Hz, and 128Hz on EQu. Stronger impact and rumble despite being in a noisy environment.

When I get home though, where I can listen in a relatively quiet environment, no EQ necessary :)

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #245 of 7,982

Quote:
Anybody play around with EQ with the GR07?

I have 140+ hours of burn-in on it now, and have started to really enjoy it with my music. However, when on-the-go, I like to listen to dubstep on my iPhone4 and have found that I really enjoy it more with a 2db gain on 35Hz, 75Hz, and 128Hz on EQu. Stronger impact and rumble despite being in a noisy environment.

When I get home though, where I can listen in a relatively quiet environment, no EQ necessary :)

Some people have EQ'd it with great results.  I've only ever EQ'd the bass though (bass boost with E7), and that works very well.

Also, I just got a set of Sony hybrids...they seem to get a much nicer seal than the stock tips.  Haven't tried any other aftermarket tips yet, but these are great.  I'd highly recommend them to anyone who can't quite get a good seal with the stock tips.

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #246 of 7,982
Interestingly enough, using the right tips helps a lot.
The right tips for me are trimmed small Comply T140.
T130 will only fit after some stretching of the core and afterwards they are impossible to remove without damage.
P series is of course no go.

Bass is not comparable to quite anything, goes clean to 20 Hz with eq. Rolloff starts at 37 Hz, sharp. It's *that* good in this new pair.
High end ends at 18 kHz actually, but it's very very quiet even with boost.
Only equalized Brainwavz M2 got lower from what I own - to 16 Hz - with comparable timbre, slightly less controlled, but with a slight bit longer decay.
Soundstage is far smaller and more intimate than Ultrasone pro 650 (obviously) and slightly narrower than Brainwavz M2. Less precise positioning than either (esp. U650), however depth resolution is very good after equalization. Without eq, soundstage is flat, located right on my face and even a bit narrower.

In general, sound has this soft delicate feel. Could use more air.

Note: This is with -18 dB gain iffset with amp, (Temporarily Fiio E7 in DAC mode, 0 bass boost, volume 30. My own amp got damaged and I can't get 2 specific replacement chips. I blame recent storms. No, the midbass boost is not Fiio's doing,)

Latest eq curve follows. (not reduced yet) Note the midbass boost, might be a feature of the new pair or perhaps the better seal.

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #248 of 7,982
I just got my GR07. They have about 20 hours so far. 

A little background: I am "upgrading" from a RE0. I am a "normal" person, not someone with a golden ear (nowhere near).

I am not impressed by the GR07. In fact, if I was not aware of its price and quality beforehand, I would think it is some $50 low-mid quality in ear.

I'm a little torn. The GR07 possesses such a difference sound signature when compared to the RE0. Compared to the RE0, the GR07 is a lot more mid centric with much less emphasis on treble and a lot more bass. Coming from the RE0, the GR07 sounds dark and with less detail. The GR07's build, bass and mids remind me a lot of the SE530.

However, I think I like the RE0's sound due to its brighter signature. It sounds much more detailed, and "clear" (using an outsider vocabulary, because that's who I am). But on the other side, I like bass, and the GR07 delivers that. The RE0 is literally bassless when listening outdoors. Also, I get a much better fit with the GR07, and I value isolation. I often complain that I can't hear the extraordinary detail the RE0 provides when outdoors (especially subway) because of the lack of isolation. But vice versa, the GR07's strong isolation allows me to hear its weaknesses in treble too easily.

One other nagging issue bothering me is that my GR07's right channel didn't work properly for the first hour or so. It was like the cable has connection issues (in one position I get sound, in another, I get very little sound). However, I don't have this problem anymore. Obviously this sets off an alarm of build issues. I've had more than enough build quality issues from the RE0 and Shure E2c that I previously had. The GR07's good build quality is one reason I chose to buy it.

What should I do? Anybody have recommendations on what I should do in this situation?

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #249 of 7,982
The GR07 will deffinitely not sound it's best until 1-200hrs of playtime/burnin. Having said that the treble will mellow instead of becoming stronger so based on your comments I don't think your ever going to be a huge fan of the GR07. Not sure what to make of your right channel initial experience. Sound quality wise I don't see how you can compare it to a $50 IEM though, you may not like it's signature but technically is much better than that, in fact I feel it challenges many $300+ IEM's. From what I'm hearing though I suspect you would be a DBA2 kind of guy and should just sell/return these and get something that better matches your likes.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #250 of 7,982
Quote:
The GR07 will deffinitely not sound it's best until 1-200hrs of playtime/burnin. Having said that the treble will mellow instead of becoming stronger so based on your comments I don't think your ever going to be a huge fan of the GR07. Not sure what to make of your right channel initial experience. Sound quality wise I don't see how you can compare it to a $50 IEM though, you may not like it's signature but technically is much better than that, in fact I feel it challenges many $300+ IEM's. From what I'm hearing though I suspect you would be a DBA2 kind of guy and should just sell/return these and get something that better matches your likes.

Thumbs up!

Not everyone will enjoy the signature, it took me sometime to get used to it. Its a wonderful signature which plays well with all genres. I would say its easily around a $250+ mark, especially after owning IEM's like the SE530 and IE8.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #251 of 7,982
Quote:
AstralStorm, how many hours on these?

This shouldn't matter, the last pair hasn't changed one bit after 250 or perhaps more hours, other than one channel failing. (all the eq I've done fit perfectly, so it stands to reason there has been no physical change) This pair is fresh, some 16h on them now.
In my opinion, "burn in" is a psychoacoustic phenomenon.
Quote:
Not everyone will enjoy the signature, it took me sometime to get used to it. Its a wonderful signature which plays well with all genres. I would say its easily around a $250+ mark, especially after owning IEM's like the SE530 and IE8.

SE530 and IE8 have far wider soundstage, with or without equalization. A fan of that will not be satisfied.
Sound signature matches IE8 more closely than SE530 - with less of midbass bump.
IE8 has more high end extension.

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #252 of 7,982

Quote:
 Sound quality wise I don't see how you can compare it to a $50 IEM though, you may not like it's signature but technically is much better than that, in fact I feel it challenges many $300+ IEM's. From what I'm hearing though I suspect you would be a DBA2 kind of guy and should just sell/return these and get something that better matches your likes.

Yes, I can compare these fine, nobody is going to stop me.
etysmile.gif

Unequalized, M2 has more bass boost, similar extension (in fact better at low end) and I didn't detect a lot of difference in sound signatures.
Brainwavz M2 is also VSonic's OEM (specifically, Visang R03 - this is the same company) and outperforms its price point a few times over technically.
The only drawbacks of M2 I could detect was slightly less high extension (17k not 18k) a tiny amount of bass bleed, (GR07 has none.) and some driver flex. It is also a bit less "refined" or "smooth".
The main selling point vs those would be the comfort - GR07 has nearly no match in this regard in my opinion.

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #253 of 7,982
This shouldn't matter, the last pair hasn't changed one bit after 250 or perhaps more hours, other than one channel failing. (all the eq I've done fit perfectly, so it stands to reason there has been no physical change) This pair is fresh, some 16h on them now.
In my opinion, "burn in" is a psychoacoustic phenomenon.

Still, it would be interesting, should you keep these, to do another run at equalization after 200 or so hours.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #254 of 7,982

Quote:
SE530 and IE8 have far wider soundstage, with or without equalization. A fan of that will not be satisfied.
Sound signature matches IE8 more closely than SE530 - with less of midbass bump.
IE8 has more high end extension.

No way, the GR07 has an above average soundstage to these ears who owns the SE535. The only soundstage that beats the GR07 to me is the EX1000.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #255 of 7,982
I don't find SE530 to have a particularly wide soundstage too. Its mid centric sound tends to put most thing too upfront and close to the face. GR07 has a much better layered soundstage. The only thing that SE530 is doing better (soundstage wise) is height, which GR07 doesn't portray well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back