VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #211 of 7,982
You're hovering around the dreaded "t" word there... I kid I kid. Piano's sound better in the lower 1/3 of the keys I feel, where the bass texture has a chance to stretch its legs. I agree that most likely no iem can do every instrument perfectly. As far as piano's go, you win some you lose some I guess. Besides, even if your files are high quality, there's still things like bad recording to worry about. Not saying those are badly recorded, just saying.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #212 of 7,982
Quote:
You're hovering around the dreaded "t" word there... I kid I kid. Piano's sound better in the lower 1/3 of the keys I feel, where the bass texture has a chance to stretch its legs. I agree that most likely no iem can do every instrument perfectly. As far as piano's go, you win some you lose some I guess. Besides, even if your files are high quality, there's still things like bad recording to worry about. Not saying those are badly recorded, just saying.

"T" word? Treble? (Sorry, I'm still a newb, and lack a very good grasp on most terminologies here)

Both Kiss The Rain and The Scientist sound better on my M50 at the moment, so the quality of the recording is not a differentiating factor here. Something just feels off / missing with piano and the GR07 at the moment. Maybe a few days of burn-in will change things. We'll see.

On the flip side, a couple of songs I just enjoyed listening to a few minutes ago with the GR07:
My Hero by Foo Fighters
Running Away by Hoobastank

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #213 of 7,982
The t word is timbre. Don't worry about it, i was just kidding. I hear what you mean and that's why I mentioned the lower range of the piano, those two songs mainly utilize the mid and upper range. I don't wanna pass judgement on their timbre with piano's because all the piano's I've heard sound different. It could be something to do with how they represent harmonics in the upper range. Then again I don't know what's what with that king of stuff lol.
Edit: rock in general has sounded good to me on these.

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #214 of 7,982
@Poimander I have had a similar group of IEM's and agree with your assessment in regards to how good the GR07 are. They definitely will chNge as they burn in though sonexpect a bit of a valley where they might sound a bit dull for a day or so and then expect the treble to level out until they hit about 200 hrs of use/burnin.

For those with questions about piano I suggest doing your burnin until they have at leSt 100hrs before passing judgement as that area will change. So far I find these to be very good at piano's as well as guitars.

The biggest area of contention I think these may have for some is treble specifically in relation to cymbals. If you really prefer a brassy sound to cymbals (where the crash is most prominent) then the silvery extension of these may be not to your liking. Personally I think these straddle to cymbal sound of the IE8 and the Monster Turbine Copper very nicely, but not everyone will hear it my way.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #215 of 7,982
I absolutely LOVE how rock guitars sound with GR07.. in fact they crush every one of my IEMs when it comes to heavy distorted guitars.. I'm not talking from a technical standpoint.. purely from a listening standpoint.  Listening to Tool's Lateralus, the guitars and drums have so much presence, authority and the tone is just perfect to my ears.

I remember reading the raving reviews on the timbre of the HJE's for guitars and the like.. I finally got my hands on a pair and came away saying "meh".. it was good, but having a well burned in pair of GR07 for quite some time before the HJE arrived, the Pannys didn't stand a chance, IMO.

And like dweaver said, letting these burn in is imperative. at least 150 hours in my experience.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #216 of 7,982
Mine hit a very important milestone for me at around the 150 hour mark with them finally putting a smile on my face in regard to female vocals receiving some much needed energy and crunch. So I wholeheartedly agree. Any more improvements from here on out are a gravy.

This is gonna be controversial but I don't believe in timbre of non-organic instruments like electric guitar since you can't really hear one live without it running through something.
I came from the HJE900's and the these absolutely keep up with them in regard to electric guitars. I completely attribute it to the GR07's being absolutely vicious with synthesized textures.

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #217 of 7,982
I'm not into electric instruments myself, matter of fact I really dislike them even though I listen to some electric stuff as it's inevitable. Timbre was actually one of the poor aspects of the GR07s for me with natural instruments. HJE900s were clearly superior in this despite their inferiority in clarity and detail presentation. And I'm sure mine had more than 150 hours of burn-in. They weren't horrible in timbre per say, but pretty much average IMO. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #218 of 7,982
The EX600 entered the ring this afternoon.. after 9 hours ago of burn in, they're giving the GR07 a serious run for everything they've got.  We've got a battle royale in the FlySweep houshold.

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #219 of 7,982
Hey dweaver, yeah I remember some of our discussions on the IE8.  My GR07's have about 40 hours on them now so I am very eager to see if anything changes around the 100 hour mark.

Flysweep please keep us updated on your thoughts between the EX600 and GR07.  I myself have only ever had bad experiences with Sony electronics (never had any of their IEM's though) and would likely never purchase anything from them again.

Going back to the dreaded "T" word does anyone have any other thoughts on the GR07's timbre?

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #220 of 7,982
EX600 continue to impress the hell out of me.  Inks, I'm beginning to see what you mean by the EX600 having a better (uncompressed) dynamic range than the GR07.. an astute observation.  Listening to jazz, downtempo, is a really treat.. Like the GR07 and other higher end IEMs, the EX600 love high bitrate, and more importantly, well mastered/mixed music.

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #223 of 7,982

HJE900 isolates better. EX600 is definitely more of an indoor iem. But sound quality-wise, I think the EX600 whups the HJE900's butt fairly easy.
Quote:
How the EX600 isolation compare to HJE900?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back