VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
May 2, 2011 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7,982

DaBomb77766

Headphoneus Supremus
Edit: Since people are always asking where to buy these, I'll lay it out right here so hopefully people don't ask as much.  Lendmeurears has always been a good place for people to buy them from, and nobody has had any problems with them.  (Apparently they don't send out a shipping notification though, but they always do ship)  They'll apparently ship anywhere in the world.

You order from them here:
http://www.lendmeurears.com/?page_id=582

and their ebay page is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320717996963&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Another authorized store is hifispot168, on eBay.  You can find it with google. (thanks, shotgunshane!)

And I just remembered www.earphone.  Just do a search for "www.earphone ebay" on google and you'll find it.  People have had good experiences with them.

Just noticed that Frogbeats (http://shop.frogbeats.com/vsonic-gr07) carries the GR07 now.  If anyone lives in the UK and wants to get a pair of GR07s, I'd say this is the place to go to!

Looks like the Headphone Bar in Vancouver carries the GR07 now too! (http://www.headphonebar.com/vsonic-gr07/)  They only ship to Canada, it seems, but the shipping price is very reasonable relative to other Canadian stores I've seen...but those who have been looking for a place to buy them within Canada should look no further!

If anyone else wants me to add another store, just let me know...I can't think of any others off the top of my head right now.

---

Thought I'd make one of these since there isn't one already.

How many people here have one?  I got mine about a week ago and I love it.  Coming from the PL50, all I can say is that it is smooth, well-balanced and, well...better. :p  I almost like it more than my HD595.  Definitely has more mid and sub-bass presence, anyway.  It actually sounds quite similar to it, at least to me.  Don't really have any other full-sized headphones to compare it to though (other than an old and beaten up pair of HD201s, but those...kind of suck. :p), so I'm probably not the most qualified one to make such a judgement. (I would get more but this hobby is expensive!)

Anyone else have anything to add?

May 2, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 7,982
I find these very hard to judge, they're technically great with great extension on both ends without sounding harsh or recessed in any frequency. But...even though the dynamic range and soundstage is more exiting than say RE252s/RE0, it's still sounding quite sterile unlike the EQ5s-Xcapes-RE-Zeros. I don't really have anything to compare it with though (all of my stuff is either on loan or sent to be repaired) so it could just be me...Wish I had the iems mentioned to compare as it may actually sound more fun than what I'm making them out to be.  

May 2, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 7,982
I had a pair for about two weeks before I sold them. I'm actually shipping them out tomorrow. I really liked them, but the $150 really hurt my wallet since I am currently moving out of my college dorm and into an unfurnished apartment. In my opinion, they sound better than my ATH-M50. They were very clear and detailed with a good amount of bass. Hopefully, I will get another pair when my wallet decides to heal.

May 2, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 7,982
I'm listening to my pair right now and despite a few flaws that I'm bothered by, I really like the overall presentation and frequency balance. I only wish it had more detail in the mids and low treble...  but so far this is definitely my favorite dynamic IEM.

Also they are extremely comfortable, and have downright the best cable ever. I love the cable on this thing. It's slightly grippy so it feels nice, but doesn't catch on anything and doesn't have "springy" energy rubbery cables do. It's thick enough to seem high-quality but remains supple when it needs to be. The angled plug is solid and quality.

May 2, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 7,982
If I was you I probably would mainly due to the dba-02's build quality, but I also preffered the sound.
I still find it shocking people can tolerate the dba-02's build quality and microphonics, as they are truly dreadful and perform worse in these areas than most iem's under $50.

May 2, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #7 of 7,982
What microphonics? The DBA-02 worn cable-up (as it was designed to) had the least microphonics of anything I've ever heard thanks to the unique cable.

May 2, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 7,982
My GR07's microphonics are almost nil.  I haven't tried the DBA-02 before though, so I really can't comment on that.  But the DBA-02 uses a twisted cable, doesn't it?  Is that not supposed to reduce microphonics to almost zero?

...but either way, nearly everything that can be worn over-the-ear has very little microphonics, I must say.

May 2, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #10 of 7,982

Quote:
I found them unlistenable when walking on a hard surface where as my ie8's had almost no microphonics.

That's because IE8 never truly seal your ear canal, and thus you won't hear much bone conduction or have any good isolation.

May 2, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 7,982

Quote:
I found them unlistenable when walking on a hard surface where as my ie8's had almost no microphonics.

I think you're talking about occlusion and not microphonics.

May 2, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 7,982
I've never had ANY microphonics issues with my DBA (I only wear them over-the-ear).. and have had no issue with it's build quality.. it isn't built like a tank, but I don't take my IEMs into warfare either.. I added some reinforcement for the jack strain relief using a ballpoint pen's spring.. then again, these never leave my house.

May 2, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #13 of 7,982
It's definitely not occlusion as when I hold the cable still it's fine it is just a really awful cable, I also have problems with it's memory wire and it is to springy.
Also I am not all that worried about them breaking it's just they feel and look very very cheap and poorly made.

May 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 7,982

Quote:
It's definitely not occlusion as when I hold the cable still it's fine it is just a really awful cable, I also have problems with it's memory wire and it is to springy.
Also I am not all that worried about them breaking it's just they feel and look very very cheap and poorly made.

Uhh... the DBA-02 has the least energetic cable I've ever seen. You want springy, try a Phonak Audeo. The microphonics will drive you crazy.

May 3, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #15 of 7,982
Hm, after using the foam eartips that came with my GR07 (and two pairs of the spares I received too), I must say that they used some pretty crappy glue to secure the cores to the foam.  I've already decored at least one tip from each of the three pairs I've tried so far, and I was especially careful with the third pair.  A pity, since they sounded quite good and were very comfortable.  To me, seems like they made the sound a little more airy and more pleasant, though it could just be my mind playing tricks with me.

I'll have to superglue these back together when I have a chance, they should hopefully hold together then. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back