Vsonic GR07, FischerAudio DBA02, Brainwavz B2, HiFiMan RE262... Or any other below u$s200 which doesn´t need an amp?
Oct 15, 2011 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

neworder75

New Head-Fier
Hi,
    I´m looking for replace my nuforce ne7. And I´m interested in the mentioned iems.
    The idea is to spend less than u$s 200 and buy an item which doesn´t need an amp. I mostly listen to electro, techno, pop.
    Does anyone have an idea if these ones need an amp? Does anyone know which one sounds better without amp?

Regards!
neworder75 

Oct 15, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 19
You can forget about the RE262 if you are looking for something that does not need an amp.
GR07 is a good choice, neutral with nothing missing BUT some sibilance. Sennheiser IE8 is also very good, you can pick up a used one for around 200 USD or less. IE8 is bass-king but does nothing bad, except perhaps isolation.

Oct 15, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 19

i vote the DBA-02.

they benefit less from amping than the Gr07 and they def sound better to my ears.

Oct 15, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 19
Not sure how they do for those genres, but you could try the Westone 2 from EarphoneSolutions w/ coupon code CHILL11 will you put you in right at $200. I think they'd do good for pop, but you would have to ask around for other genres. Their trouble is quite good, too.

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 19
Try out the B2s. Sound quality-wise they are great. Build quality could be better but they should be okay for normal use. Got mine for $110 on a deal. Works great with music and movies.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #9 of 19
I would also consider RE0 which IMO sounds at least as good as Q-jays, UE700 and DBA-02 at ~1/2 their price. RE0 sound fine unamped, but adding an amp later will improve their sound significantly, which cannot be said about Q-jays, UE700, DBA-02 and most other IEMs for that matter. Most other IEMs hardly improve with better amplification, if at all from my experience.

Also, you can find a used Ortofon e-Q5 or e-Q7 in the for sale section of the forum for $200 or less in excellent condition. These are moving armature IEMs that sound a cut above any dual driver BA I tried. Personally, if I had a decent amp I still prefer the RE0 slightly over the e-Q5/e-Q7, but unamped the latter two will be significantly more enjoyable for most people. I would personally go with the e-Q5 over e-Q7 if you are looking for the most balanced sound. e-Q7 is more mid centric and has a treble roll off compared to e-Q5, but can sound more musical depending on what you listen to and your tastes. I think e-Q5 has the more advanced driver. Compared to dual BAs, such as Q-jays or DBA-02, the e-Q5/e-Q7 have better dynamic range, tighter, more textured bass, better texture in the mids and highs, a more realistic timbre, better overall tonal balance, as well as more richness and weight in the sound. The BAs still win in separation, clarity and speed, but the difference is fairly minor and overall I feel that the moving armature drivers come close enough to BAs in all areas, while clearly beating them where it matters most, like in timbre, texture and richness.

For $200 or less you may also be able to find a used RE272 on here. RE272 IMO, is the best sounding IEM of the ones I mentioned above, although whether or not you will find it more enjoyable depends on your personal tastes. Technically, RE272 offers better clarity and speed than moving armatures and I think pretty much matches balanced aramture drivers in these characteristics. RE272 also offers the advantages of dynamic drivers, such as richness, texture, smoothness and realistic timbre that is just not there in BA drivers. At the same time it matches or surpasses most BAs, even the triple and quad driver ones in all other ways IMO. Overall, RE272 is a really winner technically to my ears, but it does sound quite analytical and balanced and will not suit those looking for a specific pleasant coloration. RE272 has no colorations and just presents what's there in your source and music, but it is also very sensitive to tips and fit so it may take quite a bit of experimenting and patience to get the most out of these IEMs. In this regard, the moving armatures like e-Q5 and e-Q7 are better because they sound great straight out of the box with the stock tips. But if you are willing to take your time and experiment, the RE272 IMO is better.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #11 of 19
Well, there are some headphones that have a flatter response and represent the source and music more accurately than others. I think RE272 is more accurate than most headphones. It may not be perfectly flat and perfectly transparent, but it comes pretty close to perfection IMO, at least compared to other headphones I heard so far. If there are any colorations that the RE272 introduces into the sound, they are minimal and barely noticeable at most.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 19
I've heard all but the B2 and my vote goes to the GR07's - if you're happy with an amp the 262's are also incredible for the price - I think you'll be impressed with either 
redface.gif

Oct 30, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 19
Hey guys sorry for the delay, was out of the city a couple of weeks : )
I´ll have all these comments in mind, specially the one which says that the RE262 needs amp.

I read some reviews, and I saw that the models I choose at first, don´t highlit bass and highs at the same time. Which model would you recommend, that has deep bass and sparkle highs, and cost below u$s 200.

Thanks to all of you!

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
Hey guys sorry for the delay, was out of the city a couple of weeks : )
I´ll have all these comments in mind, specially the one which says that the RE262 needs amp.

I read some reviews, and I saw that the models I choose at first, don´t highlit bass and highs at the same time. Which model would you recommend, that has deep bass and sparkle highs, and cost below u$s 200.

Thanks to all of you!

I'd personally scratch the RE272 off of your list, on account of it's lows are all quality, and not nearly enough quantity. However, the RE272 boasts exceptional detail and clarity, for which it's certainly among the best. Of the ones I've owned, you're practically describing the EX600 and GR07, though their isolation is sub-par to average at best (when coupled with the right tips), if you can live with that. Else the e-Q5 is also an excellent option (considering it's street price of ~$180), as has been suggested, and it happens to be one of my absolute favorites (aside from the FX700). From what I've read, there are two other options worth looking into; the FX500 and the FXT90, both manufactured by JVC, and well within your price range. While I NEVER recommend anything I haven't personally heard, I do recommend reading further into the two aforementioned, so as to not leave them unnoticed. Needless to say, spend some time reading into each of the aforementioned, and see which one strikes your interest most. Though quite honestly, in your shoes, either one of the first two (EX600/GR07) would do it for me. All the best my friend! 
smile.gif

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #15 of 19
I have both B2 and GR07, for EDM I prefer GR07, but anything else I'd prefer B2 (yes I am a treble and upper mids lover 
wink_face.gif
)

Still in the process of finding the best tips for my canal for GR07...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back