VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Mar 24, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #408 of 2,697
Not that I have seen. Maybe he had a change of heart?
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #409 of 2,697
And I impatiently wait for mine in the mail. Hope its this week.

How much burn in has shown results? I'm thinking of doing a 48hr intense dnb burn in and regular use from there. And I never thought of this before, but does burn in need to be a consistent ~200hr thing? Or can you burn in for 10-20 hours at a time and go with regular use between the noise burn ins?

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #410 of 2,697
Quote:
has eke released his official statement of endorsement yet?

Vsonic GR07 MKII vs Vsonic GR07 Bass Edition
 ​
 ​

​

Tracks used:

1) Gotham's Reckoning - The Dark Knight Rises OST

The BE simply sounds EPIC on this track. The low end weight is reminiscent of the main villain in the movie. It's strong, yet fast and articulate. The great thing here is that the atmosphere of the song does not suffer at all  compared to the MKII. The main difference here is in the starkness of the detail. They both have similar amounts of detail, but the BE's bass quantity tends to soften the immediacy of the presentation. This also lends to a smoother top end. 

One important thing here is that the MKII has "enough" bass to carry the song. The BE just has that extra oomph to put it over the top for those who want more. 

2) Oakland UFO - The Flashbulb

Again, the BE sounds more euphonic here due to the bigger bass and warmer presentation. Despite the MKII having slightly more clarity, I prefer the BE for the way it adds extra fullness to the snare and synth sounds. 

3) Little Lion Man - Mumford and Sons

This particular track isn't the most well mastered track, so the extra bass of the BE sounds a bit out of place here. I also preferred the MKII's slight boost in clarity, as it was useful in making out some of the more hidden details.

Overall winner: Tie.

The Bass Edition is exactly what the name implies, a GR07 with a boosted low end. he side effect of this is a warmer, more euphonic presentation than may or may not be to your liking. In the course of my listening, I found the BE would work better for some tracks, while the MKII would work well for others. It's really up to you to determine the kind of presentation you want.

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #411 of 2,697
Quote:

I'm going to change the above statement to: FRIGGIN' WOW what a full, beautiful, engaging sound!

I'm not entirely sure what is going on. Before, I thought these things were great but weren't quite living up to my expectations. Now, they seem to have transformed into something very awesome and beyond my expectations. Very happy camper!

Is it really that much of a difference? I have the BE's and I feel like I'm missing out...

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #412 of 2,697
Quote:
Is it really that much of a difference? I have the BE's and I feel like I'm missing out...

I personally noticed a little bit of difference once they were burnt in about 75 hours, as well as mentally getting adjusted to the sound.  Nobody has really been able to A/B a brand new BE vs one that has been burnt in, but I listened to mine for a few days initially, then let it burn in for about 50-60 hours before my next listen and noticed an improvement.  Mainly I noticed the high end of the spectrum was tamed a bit.  I think it's the nature of the bio-cellulose drivers, as you'll read about it with other headphones that use them (GR07, Creative Aurvana Live, various Sony headphones like the R-10, which is revered as one of the greatest headphones ever made).  Here is a little info on the technology, which was originally developed and patented by Sony:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/568694/biocellulose-and-its-use-in-headphones-earphones-referring-the-recent-iem-example-vsonic-gr-07-r07

Makes the GR07 and it's variations just that much more special IMO, and also makes me want to try out the CAL, which are pretty reasonably priced for how good they apparently sound:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364224559&sr=8-1&keywords=creative+aurvana+live

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #413 of 2,697
Quote:

My advice is to get them burning straight with fairly loud bass and drums for 200 hours and then see how you feel.

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #415 of 2,697
Got them today with my GR06. I was worried about customs duty cuz it took 3 weeks (exactly) but they marked it down as 2 earphones @ $50, and as a gift, which I don't think I specified. LMUE wins this round. 

Anyways, I have some tip rolling to do. So far I like the the light blue tips best, but the foamies are super comfy, but I feel like the highs roll off far too much, and insertion depth along with jaw movement kind of ruins things. If I insert them too shallow they don't stay in, too deep, and subtle head movements affect the sound. It's kind of a losing battle with them, but the comfort is supreme. 

BUT THE SOUND. Just awesome. iPod Touch 3G > L9 > BH > GR07 BE......... Yeah I definitely think it's better than FXZ200 in the same set up. The bass texture is sweet and engaging. The highs have a nice sparkle with no harshness or sibilance that I can detect. Dnb and dubstep have some sharp snares that get fatiguing on sharp cans and IEMs, but these have it right. The mids are also perfectly balanced with the highs as far as I can tell. They're more upfront than M-100, but similar lushness.
From what I remember of the GR07 MKII, the mids were more aggressive, but the bigger bass smooths it out. eke nailed it when he said "It's the MKII with a boosted lower end... euphoric presentation" (paraphrasing)... All the quality is there but the signatures are to taste, and I believe I've made the right choice. 

And I'll re-iterate.... I like them better than the FXZ200, from memory. The sound stage was always wierd on the FXZ200, but the imaging with the BE is impressive for something that looks so closed in. 

Also I'd like to note that I LOVE the flexable nozzle of the GR07's. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #416 of 2,697
Quote:
Got them today with my GR06. I was worried about customs duty cuz it took 3 weeks (exactly) but they marked it down as 2 earphones @ $50, and as a gift, which I don't think I specified. LMUE wins this round. 

Anyways, I have some tip rolling to do. So far I like the the light blue tips best, but the foamies are super comfy, but I feel like the highs roll off far too much, and insertion depth along with jaw movement kind of ruins things. If I insert them too shallow they don't stay in, too deep, and subtle head movements affect the sound. It's kind of a losing battle with them, but the comfort is supreme. 

BUT THE SOUND. Just awesome. iPod Touch 3G > L9 > BH > GR07 BE......... Yeah I definitely think it's better than FXZ200 in the same set up. The bass texture is sweet and engaging. The highs have a nice sparkle with no harshness or sibilance that I can detect. Dnb and dubstep have some sharp snares that get fatiguing on sharp cans and IEMs, but these have it right. The mids are also perfectly balanced with the highs as far as I can tell. They're more upfront than M-100, but similar lushness.
From what I remember of the GR07 MKII, the mids were more aggressive, but the bigger bass smooths it out. eke nailed it when he said "It's the MKII with a boosted lower end... euphoric presentation" (paraphrasing)... All the quality is there but the signatures are to taste, and I believe I've made the right choice. 

And I'll re-iterate.... I like them better than the FXZ200, from memory. The sound stage was always wierd on the FXZ200, but the imaging with the BE is impressive for something that looks so closed in. 

Also I'd like to note that I LOVE the flexable nozzle of the GR07's. 

Very cool. Do you have the mh1c tips? If so, give them a shot. And they do indeed improve even further with a lot of burn-in, so you can look forward to that!

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #418 of 2,697
Why you no likey mh1c tips my friend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back