VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Sep 15, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #1,456 of 2,697
Hi, im looking for an IEM and i've been told the GR07 MK2 may be my best choice, but I also got recommended the bass edition so I need some help to decide.

Money to spend: Around 200€ IF it's totally worth it.
What im looking for specifically:

1) Comfortable, to use for long hours without ear ache or ear damage (asuming I use a safe volume)
2) Portable: Doesn't look too stupid in your ears, you can wear them at the train and pass as a normal citizen
3) Sound: It has to be at least decent to work on your production projects, then finish it up with a mixing-polishment session with my headphones of choice and also check em out on my Adams before I release anything. The genre I work on: dnb, jungle, electronic music..
4) Has to be able to be driven by my NI AK1 successfully as I don't have money for a better DAC.
5) Has to cancel outside noise as much as possible, as I hate background noises and I can't focus.

That's it. I just can't decide if the bass edition will be ok for me or not. I want a sound that is basically aimed at production, to mix acurately, so im not sure about the bass edition. Im scared that maybe it has too much bass, and im mixing with little bass presence, then it gets translated badly in other system which have less bass. But, at the same time im also scared that the MK2 doesn't have enough bass so im mixing the bass louder than it should be and then it's a mess in other systems.

Any help??

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #1,457 of 2,697
Hi, im looking for an IEM and i've been told the GR07 MK2 may be my best choice, but I also got recommended the bass edition so I need some help to decide.

Money to spend: Around 200€ IF it's totally worth it.
What im looking for specifically:

1) Comfortable, to use for long hours without ear ache or ear damage (asuming I use a safe volume)
2) Portable: Doesn't look too stupid in your ears, you can wear them at the train and pass as a normal citizen
3) Sound: It has to be at least decent to work on your production projects, then finish it up with a mixing-polishment session with my headphones of choice and also check em out on my Adams before I release anything. The genre I work on: dnb, jungle, electronic music..
4) Has to be able to be driven by my NI AK1 successfully as I don't have money for a better DAC.
5) Has to cancel outside noise as much as possible, as I hate background noises and I can't focus.

That's it. I just can't decide if the bass edition will be ok for me or not. I want a sound that is basically aimed at production, to mix acurately, so im not sure about the bass edition. Im scared that maybe it has too much bass, and im mixing with little bass presence, then it gets translated badly in other system which have less bass. But, at the same time im also scared that the MK2 doesn't have enough bass so im mixing the bass louder than it should be and then it's a mess in other systems.

Any help??

The GR07s will tick all the requirements you stated. Although I've never heard the MK2 the bass edition is definitely not bassy, I'm not even sure why its called the bass edition and they're definitely not for bass heads. If they were bassy they'd be part of the basshead club. From reading the reviews the bass editions have slightly more bass and slightly recessed mids in comparison to the MK2. The bass editions are great for EDM

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #1,458 of 2,697
I'm starting to think this might have a lot to do with our individual ear holes as I found the BEs to be too bassy to enjoy at all. And I've owned the 770s! Also, I use some T500 Complies and I think they exaggerate the low end on my MK2s.

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #1,459 of 2,697
Well the BEs work for me and sound great. Can someone who has a calibrated ear canal and who has heard both the MK2 and the BE chime in? How much bassier are the BEs over the MK2?

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #1,460 of 2,697
Sorry...a calibrated ear canal?!

I've owned both and the BEs were too bassy and muffled the mids too much. MK2 is my favorite by far, but as always, YMMV. If you like bass, go for the BEs. If you prefer mids, go for the MK2s.

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #1,461 of 2,697

I've owned both and the BEs were too bassy and muffled the mids too much. MK2 is my favorite by far, but as always, YMMV. If you like bass, go for the BEs. If you prefer mids, go for the MK2s.

I dont "like bass or mids", im a producer and I want accurate sound. For me, the DT770 are pretty accurate, . So a similar sound would be great.
You said the DT770 is too bassy, but for me it's great, I can translate my mixes correctly. So what should I get then?

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #1,466 of 2,697

I guess you didn't put 300 hours of burn in on your BE before return it? The difference is not so big between both.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #1,467 of 2,697
Why would I? 5 minutes w/ the BE was enough to know that I would prefer something that put the mids on more of a center stage and the bass bothered me. Knowing the MK2's biggest difference was the lightened bass and the emphasis on mids was more than enough to make my decision. I ordered the MK2's, but was sent the BE's by mistake. Otherwise, I'd of never heard the BE's.

Sep 15, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #1,470 of 2,697
Why would I? 5 minutes w/ the BE was enough to know that I would prefer something that put the mids on more of a center stage and the bass bothered me. Knowing the MK2's biggest difference was the lightened bass and the emphasis on mids was more than enough to make my decision. I ordered the MK2's, but was sent the BE's by mistake. Otherwise, I'd of never heard the BE's.
5 minutes is definitely not enough with the BEs. For me and most others the BEs required 100+ hrs of burn in which is crazy but true. It's sound changes the most out of any IEM I've ever heard with burn in.

I was joking with the calibrated ear canal, didn't think anyone would really take that seriously. I only wanted to know the differences in bass between both the MK2 and the BE who's given both a proper chance because from what I've read the bass of the BE is not so much more emphasised and the mids only slightly recessed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back