VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Jun 7, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #2,551 of 2,697
About to take the plunge, coming from a long relationship with SE215s, which I liked, but didn't love owing to the less than stellar treble extension, excessively long cable, and so-so memory wire. Here's to the GR07's potentially being the first IEMs that really make me go "WOW!" :)

Jun 11, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #2,552 of 2,697
How are gr07be for ears? do they fatigue your ears? i have vsonic vsd3s and they dont fatigue my ears almost at all, but many others do. how are these in terms of ear fatigue? that would be the main gripe with them. are they polite on your ears? thanks

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #2,553 of 2,697
How are gr07be for ears? do they fatigue your ears? i have vsonic vsd3s and they dont fatigue my ears almost at all, but many others do. how are these in terms of ear fatigue? that would be the main gripe with them. are they polite on your ears? thanks

I have some very sensitive ears that only a few iems work with...and the gr07 series is one of them. Probably the most comfortable in ears I've found.

Jun 13, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #2,554 of 2,697
I have some very sensitive ears that only a few iems work with...and the gr07 series is one of them. Probably the most comfortable in ears I've found.

what volume do you listen on? on iphone for example, how many notches up? thanks

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #2,557 of 2,697
Recently purchased the new VSonic GR07 Bass Edition, and was suggested by a fellow member to open a separate thread for these IEMs, so here's some of my impressions and thoughts of them.

Full disclosure:
I purchased the GR07 bass edition during an preorder promotion, with the total cost including shipping and handling being around 135 USD, with a free "GR04 Pro Flagship Edition" thrown in as well, so my impressions might be inflated due to that.

Foreword:
I'm no basshead, in fact, I might as well as be a treblehead as well, considering how I never liked bassy earphones. This was mostly more of an impulse purchase more, had the deal not come, I would've bought the vanilla GR07/GR07 Mk.II/Etymotic HF5/Phonak PFE instead. But the deal for the bass edition was too tempting, so I went with that finally. However, I had buyer's remorse almost immediately after clicking the "purchase" button, for fear that the bass edition was bassy (bassy like FXT90/IE8 or even Atrio M8 levels, in which I all hated on first listening), the delays (due to component shortage, as claimed by VSonic) didn't help either, and all it did was to further enhance buyer's remorse.

After nearly a month of wait, the shipment finally arrived. Here's what the box looks like:

And inside the box:

D
etails of the IEM itself:

Included in the box are a bunch of accessories, as shown in the above photos. Taken verbatim (translated) from the earphone accessories list in the box, there's 

"1. Black, standard S. M. L sized sillicone eartips.
2. Black, standard biflange sillicone eartips.
3. Dual-colour, mixed sillicone eartips with seven sizes (red: SS, blue: ML, cyan: L, purple: LL), each eartip interior has the size labeled.
4. Dual color, noise isolating eartips (blue: ML, cyan: L  purple: LL).
5. Memory foam.
6. High quality leather storage bag.
7. Earguides.
8. Earphone clip."

Included in the box is also an apology letter from VSonic, apologizing for the delay due to component shortage, which is pretty nice of them.

The IEM housing, accessories, box, Y-split and plug are the same as the previous GR07 models, according to forum member putente. However, the cable is different from the previous models, and has a candy cane-esque red-white color scheme, "1.30m +/- 3% TPU cable, maximum 82 cores silver and cooper combo wire" [sic]. 

As for the sound, upon first listening, I was surprised that it wasn't bass bloating, and the bass quantity reminds me of the Shure SE215 and Yamaha EPH100, with the GR07 Bass Edition having slightly less or similar bass quantity to them. The bass quantity was increased slightly after a day of burn-in however, though I'm not sure if it's simply placebo effect, but the increase in bass isn't significant enough to cause Jason Newsted's bass to be heard in "...And Justice For All". The bass has a speaker/sub like quality to me somehow, and acoustic bass drums sound punchy, instead of simply "clicking".

Though, the treble quantity does leave some place in improvement, as I think it's slightly lacking in treble, though I think that may be done in response to the comments of the GR07 being sibilant (either that, or I just like treble).

The soundstage is pretty remarkable as well, although I think it's slightly smaller than the vanilla GR07, although I'm not exactly sure with that, as I've only listened to the GR07 around half a year ago at the local Jaben. The soundstage was realistic to a level that it woke me from a drowsy state, while listening to a Dolby Headphone applied version of the 5.1 version of Opeth's Heritage (Nepenthe, to be exact, the entry of the drums woke me up).

The build quality is decent, although I'm afraid that the rotatable nozzle of the GR07 bass edition will fail mechanically eventually. Though, VSonic should improve their quality control, as I received a foam tips without the stem thingy, which makes it unusable:

Not enough to make or break a product, but still not good.

I don't own enough earphones for a fully featured comparison, and I'm not going to include earphones that I've heard but don't own (so no comparisons to the vanilla GR07 unfortunately, though, VSonic, if you're reading this, I wouldn't mind a sample or two :D ), so there won't be many comparisons to other earphones, and all I have here are JVC FX40s and the included VSonic R04 Pro "Flagship Edition". Not exactly the best for comparison, considering both are budget IEMs, but it's better than none. 

Comparing the GR07 bass edition to the JVC FX40, the first most-obvious difference was the mids. Listening to the FX40 after listening to the GR07 bass edition makes the FX40 seems like it is mid-deficient. The FX40 sounded like it has no bass at all, and has an "artificial" feeling when comparing to the GR07 bass edition. The FX40 also sounded shrill and a more narrow soundstage compared to the GR07 bass edition, and has significantly less isolation than it. The cable also look puny in comparison to the VSonics, but it's an budget earphone after all.

While for the comparison for the included R04 Pro "Flagship Edition". Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think that VSonic included these in for purpose to make the GR07 bass edition reviews look better. :p

The R04 Pro's soundstage is "blurry" in comparison to the GR07 bass edition, and doesn't sound as full-bodied as the GR07 bass edition. However, maybe due to placebo or confirmation bias, I think the R04 Pro's isolation is actually slightly better than the GR07 bass edition. The R04 Pro's cable also looks better to me, compared to the red-white cable of the  GR07 bass edition.

The bottom line: The GR07 Bass Edition isn't without flaws, like the weird looking cable, bad tip, not enough treble, but in my opinion, the flaws aren't that significant to break a product, and the good points overweight the flaws; the GR07 bass edition is definitely a keeper.

I have gr07 too, they are amazing , you just give them some 2 weeka and their SQ will be better ,
But my box of my gr07 is different like this:

What are the differnts between these boxes?

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #2,558 of 2,697
how much or how little is the upgrade from vsd3s to gr07 iems?

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #2,562 of 2,697
So I've been listening to my audio library on shuffle for about 7 hrs. I'm hearing a really, really well defined sound. I was expecting some sibliance as some reviews have indicated, but the treble range is silky to me. I could maybe see that happening on a ****ty recording, but I don't have many tracks like that in my library. Again the sound is very well defined, and overall characteristics defy typical adjectives that tend to be droped. Flat and/or neutral would be fitting though, if were talking in a true sense, not lean bass and mid forward as some people use the term. To make the sound more exciting a competing product might have a u-curve responce and/or a treble emphasis for a more apparent detail resolution. I don't hear any of that with these and personally that really appealing. Staying on the topic of frequency responce, all other headphones and IEM I've used have some obvious responce deficits/wonkyness it's rather astounding that these lack that. I haven't been compelled to bring out the EQ as I canät hear anything in particular that needs adressing. So my first impression are definitely positive as you can tell!

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #2,563 of 2,697
cool but i dont think he sells anything on ebay anymore, cause i only bought vsd3s from them like a few weeks ago. im itching to buy gr07 too. is the sound as impressive as people review? thanks

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #2,564 of 2,697
cool but i dont think he sells anything on ebay anymore, cause i only bought vsd3s from them like a few weeks ago. im itching to buy gr07 too. is the sound as impressive as people review? thanks

If you can spend a bit more move up to the Fidue A73. It's better than the GR07BE in almost everything apart from being less of an organic bass. Trust me I've got GR07BEs :wink:

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #2,565 of 2,697
  Thanks for suggesting Lend Me UR ears @ZapX629. I'm receiving my package today, I love me some fast shiping! Will be writing my initial impressions later.

Nice. Glad I could be of help, and really happy you're liking them. They've certainly held their own for the last few years. Still one of the best options at their price. To be a real and definite step up you'd have to drop another 80 or so dollars. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back