Vote the best according to criteria
Jun 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tropicalfire

New Head-Fier
So I am considering these headsets.
I want a product that looks cool and I want to be noticed by people with this headset.
I want a product which can be used for gaming purposes.
I want a product that can be used outside, during a train/plane travel, walking around and keeping them on the neck etc.
Vote which you think it's best.

I hope I didnt post this in a too wrong section. I saw this forum is the most popular with hundreds of viewers = more people to vote on this Poll.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 11
The only one that actually works outside is the M50. The other 2 are open, which means it won't isolate well and will let other people hear your music while listening to the headphone.

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 11
Fully open or semi-open will be the same.  If it's open, then the issue won't be that people can hear your music - it will be that you are able to hear all the ambient noise around you.

You mentioned train / plane.  If you use open cans on those transport mediums, you'll have to turn them up so loud you'll deafen yourself.  Oh - and because you have to have them up so loud - you will make it uncomfortable for the people around you also.  You may not care - but if you annoy others around you - then trust me - it won't be pretty (public transport).

What you really want is two cans.  One for travel (closed or IEM) and one for gaming (open).

EDIT - and BTW - unless people know what sort of music you like, and what your tastes are (do you like bassy?, neutral?, mids forward?, airy? ...... ) - then how can people recommend a headphone?

From your description (1st post) - you're looking for something with less emphasis on music quality and more on what looks good as a fashion accessory.  If that's the case - buy the Beats or a Beats knock-off.  If that's not the case - then describe the music signature you like and how important music quality is to you.

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 11
Open headphones when used outside don't have the sound quality of closed or iems. I also don't understand why you are interested in headphones that get you noticed. Why do people give any consideration to how a set of headphones look? When you use them you can't see them!
The beats are headturners around the world they are also closed and sell for peanuts on ebay2nd hand. They match your criteria. I preferred the sound of the monster diesel vectors when I have listened to the 2 in the electrical stores and they hold their value even less than the beats.
I listen to rock and pop the majority of the time.

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Fully open or semi-open will be the same.  If it's open, then the issue won't be that people can hear your music - it will be that you are able to hear all the ambient noise around you.

You mentioned train / plane.  If you use open cans on those transport mediums, you'll have to turn them up so loud you'll deafen yourself.  Oh - and because you have to have them up so loud - you will make it uncomfortable for the people around you also.  You may not care - but if you annoy others around you - then trust me - it won't be pretty (public transport).

What you really want is two cans.  One for travel (closed or IEM) and one for gaming (open).

EDIT - and BTW - unless people know what sort of music you like, and what your tastes are (do you like bassy?, neutral?, mids forward?, airy? ...... ) - then how can people recommend a headphone?

From your description (1st post) - you're looking for something with less emphasis on music quality and more on what looks good as a fashion accessory.  If that's the case - buy the Beats or a Beats knock-off.  If that's not the case - then describe the music signature you like and how important music quality is to you.

Thanks, for your reply, you cleared my mind a bit.
I DO indeed look for stylish headphones. But I do need good sound quality aswell, hence the narrowed-down choice to these headphones. Beats sound is just not for me. They have terrible sound quality.
I like normal bass, not excessive and I dont want it to cover the other ranges. I never listen to metal, dubstep, jazz, hard rock and instrumental. I listen mostly to trance, progressive house, pop = mostly all the catchy songs around. I rarely listen to rap.

Quote:
Open headphones when used outside don't have the sound quality of closed or iems. I also don't understand why you are interested in headphones that get you noticed. Why do people give any consideration to how a set of headphones look? When you use them you can't see them!
The beats are headturners around the world they are also closed and sell for peanuts on ebay2nd hand. They match your criteria. I preferred the sound of the monster diesel vectors when I have listened to the 2 in the electrical stores and they hold their value even less than the beats.
I listen to rock and pop the majority of the time.

I really dont like beats, mostly because everyone has them, they have bad sound quality, they give too much strength to bass, they dont look good. The look is important to me because I will keep the headset around my neck most of times when I will be outside, so a good looking device makes you look good as well. That is my opinion.

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
So I am considering these headsets.
I want a product that looks cool and I want to be noticed by people with this headset.
I want a product which can be used for gaming purposes.
I want a product that can be used outside, during a train/plane travel, walking around and keeping them on the neck etc.
Vote which you think it's best.

Sony mdr 1r (black). This is the best I can think of that comfortably fits all this criteria and sounds great. If you need more isolation and less on the gaming front, then maybe the sennheiser momentum especially as these are the coolest looking headphones around. 

I hope I didnt post this in a too wrong section. I saw this forum is the most popular with hundreds of viewers = more people to vote on this Poll.

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 11
OK - CSM suggested the Momentums - definitely a stylish headphone with good sound.  If you want style with more bass - then the VModa M100.  Other than that - maybe something in the Ultrasone line.  I haven't heard any of the Ultrasones - but it will give you a start in your research.

The M50 you mentioned will give you good isolation.  Sound is a little V shaped (emphasized bass and treble) - but if its a starter headphone for you, and your're on a budget, it's worth considering.

Not sure of any of the above for gaming though.  If you need directional queues (ie gaming with dolby hph or CMS) then I'd go open headphones for that.

So once again - I'd suggest two headphones in the long-term.

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 11
I think your looking for the fidelio l1 or Kef m500.

They both have nice soundstage a, but the kef is really flat and more honest to the music. The l1 is nice, and looks beautiful!

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
OK - CSM suggested the Momentums - definitely a stylish headphone with good sound.  If you want style with more bass - then the VModa M100.  Other than that - maybe something in the Ultrasone line.  I haven't heard any of the Ultrasones - but it will give you a start in your research.

The M50 you mentioned will give you good isolation.  Sound is a little V shaped (emphasized bass and treble) - but if its a starter headphone for you, and your're on a budget, it's worth considering.

Not sure of any of the above for gaming though.  If you need directional queues (ie gaming with dolby hph or CMS) then I'd go open headphones for that.

So once again - I'd suggest two headphones in the long-term.

Someone who is new to headphones may find the vmoda a bit too uncomfortable. They look a bit 'out there' if you know what I mean, which can be a disadvantage. Them lower end ultrasones I hate the sound of to be completely frank, which are completely different to their signature line headphones with both the signature pro and sig DJ (the latter perhaps the best closed headphone I've ever come across). 

M50's aren't that bad at all. I've heard a few now and I was expecting them to sound a lot worse. Their detailing is very good as is the balance/blend of frequencies, which especially lends itself to be used in high noise environments. If you listen to these too long in very quite backdrops then a few flaws come to life, like the slightly overbearing bass range.

For gaming I agree also. Basically what's needed is a large soundstage in both width, depth and length (3 dimensions) and there are not many closed, portable, isolating headphones that give you this in my opinion. The mdr 1r would be the best I think if this is high on the priority list.

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #11 of 11
Of the three I think only the Philips is suitable for outdoor use. M50 is too bulky (and long, thick cable), HD598 has no isolation so you won't be able to hear your music with all the noise around you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back