vote for your favourite cheap amp (below ~$80)
Nov 4, 2008 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

krisjan

100+ Head-Fier
i've included some cmoy's and other cheap amps ranging from low to about $80. sorry if i've left your favorite out - but pls vote for other and leave a post with the name of the amp...

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 58
I've only had the pleasure of owning a Penguin Caffeine Ultra and E3, but loved the Caffeine Ultra prior to selling it today (got an iBasso P3). It was a very handy amp, noticeably wider soundstage, subtle and effective bass boost, and smoother mids. Best $80 ever spent.

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 58
I really enjoyed the Pa2v2. Gary was great to work with, gave me a head-fi discount, and answered all my questions in a very quick way. It doesn't compare to the more expensive portable amps out there, but it was a great "starter" amp.

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #9 of 58
i got my mini3 for under 80 usd...so that should be there. Mini3's are highly underrated and perform on par with amps priced double or triple its price. IMHO of course.

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #10 of 58
^^^ I agree fully, i should of mentioned the mini3 in a similar thread where some one was asking for cheap amp recommendations. You can't go wrong with the Penguin Caffeine, if you don't mind the case, or if you fancy a sturdier case- the mini3. You will have a great cheap amp if you go for either, both are very good.

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really enjoyed the Pa2v2. Gary was great to work with, gave me a head-fi discount, and answered all my questions in a very quick way. It doesn't compare to the more expensive portable amps out there, but it was a great "starter" amp.

X2

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #12 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got my mini3 for under 80 usd...so that should be there. Mini3's are highly underrated and perform on par with amps priced double or triple its price. IMHO of course.

do you have a link to a buyer who sells mini3 amps for under $80? i haven't managed to find one - i'm trying to look at the current situation not past times...i've also heard mini3 is great , but couldn't find one under $100

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 58
I had a CMOY from "Zero Audiocraft" a while back and it was pretty good. Was way better than a standard CMOY.

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #15 of 58
+1 for the AMB Mini3. I got mine from a local DIYe'r for about $57, and it's a great combo with my grado sr80 or klipsch custom 3...tightens up the frequencies well.

Then again, I haven't tried any of the amps in the poll, so I may be biased.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back