Vote for your favorite Stones record.
Dec 26, 2008 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
For most of my life, I didn't value much of the stones albums because I compared them to the Beatles and they seemed to lack something in comparison. As of recently, I've reassessed my own opinion and decided it was stupid to compare the two because they were both going after different things.......

It's still hard not to look at Paint It Black as a Beatles sitar rip off
Or Their st Majesties request as a Sgt Pepper rip off
Or The Rock and Roll Circus as a Magical Mystery Tour rip off

However, I've learned to really love the Stones a lot............

I would love for the voters to explain why the album they chose is their favorite. I can only list ten in the poll......

Dec 26, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 17
I'm going to add some more slots. Let me know how many more you want...
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 17
Hmmm...well, damn. We used to be able to add more fields. I'll check on it.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 17
Well I would have liked to have included every album (non compilation) that they made..........but specifically, I think my poll covers most of the great ones, maybe its missing England's Newest Hit Makers and 12x5, Their Saint Majesities Request and December's Children, also I suppose Goats Head Soup and Its Only Rock and Roll are worthy.......but most of the albums made after Exile I feel are lacking.....some girls is the exception and I also think Tattoo you has some appeal.......had the poll been unlimited I would have included everything.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 17
But...what about Bridges to Babylon?
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I do really like "Anybody Seen My Baby".
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 17
OK...I picked Beggars Banquet. On any other given day, I might have picked Aftermath, or Exile on Main Street.

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #8 of 17
wow I'm the first voter for Exile.....thought that would be in the lead......whatever.........my favorites go in this order

Exile, Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed, Beggars........an exact backwards chronology of the studio releases of 68-72........

sometimes I find myself more into Sticky Fingers, but exile has an aura for me that is like Robert Johnson brought 30 years to the forefront. It's an amazing listen..........I almost view exile as a single song, almost like Dark Side of The Moon.

Dec 26, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #10 of 17
I ended up voting for Let It Bleed.

This was a tough call, because I really like Exile and Beggar's Banquet as well. I ended up choosing Let It Bleed because I feel like it really defines the sound of the Stones for me, especially Gimmie Shelter, and if I could only own a single album by them, this is what it would be. Let It Bleed sounds really great on vinyl turned up really loud.
tongue.gif

Dec 26, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #11 of 17
This is a very tough choice. I a so torn by "Let it Bleed" which had so much talent in terms of extra personnel and the songs in "Beggars Banquet".

In the end I gave my vote for "Let it Bleed" because of great songs and the all star line up of the musicians involved.

Dec 26, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #12 of 17
I went exile on main street. I love that album because it is so varied and full of experimentation, and yet they pulled it off really nicely without losing the coherence of the whole project.

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #13 of 17
Exile On Main Street for me! Followed closely by Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed. (A nod HAS to be given to Ya Ya's for live album)

I voted Exile because it was my first Stones album. In the summer of 1972, as a young 15 year old kid, I walked home from the record store with Exile tucked under my arm.

When I got home I carefully place side 1 on my turntable and set the needle down. Rocks Off came blaring out of the speakers and my life changed forever!! I had never heard anything that was so powerful and quickly realized that blues based rock was MY kind of music.

The next week I picked up Get Yer Ya Yas Out and my long journey with the Rolling Stones began.

P.S Any body besides me absolutely wear out side 2 of Exile????

Dec 26, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 17
To me, the Stones mainline just about everything that's powerful and complicated about rock & roll. I feel like Exile On Main Street is kinda the embodiment of that…it's as messy and mysterious a record as it is a beautiful one. I think it's possible to play it repeatedly and love it without ever getting to the bottom of it.

Dec 26, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, the Stones mainline just about everything that's powerful and complicated about rock & roll. I feel like Exile On Main Street is kinda the embodiment of that…it's as messy and mysterious a record as it is a beautiful one. I think it's possible to play it repeatedly and love it without ever getting to the bottom of it.

X 2 !!!! I've been listening to it for 36 years and have never truly gotten to the "bottom" of it!

Great point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back