Vote: Buy a new ZDT or keep my Fixed MPX3 Slam SE and assorted tubes
Oct 8, 2009 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Frihed89

1000+ Head-Fier
I have fixed most, if not all, the problems with my SP amp. It sounds better than ever. Do I keep it (and numerous NOS pairs of 6SN7GTs, 5687s, etc), or buy a new ZDT, which I just heard at CanJamRMAF.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 22
ZDT for sure.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 22
Ahhhhh, a trick question. If only I could compare the two at the same time. I am listening to my MPX3 now and what I liked about it most, and still do, was all the different voices one can create with different tubes. Perhaps you can push me along Socratically until I answer my own question, or at least know how to ask a question I can answer.

Voting is the American method.

What do you like best about your ZDT?

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 22
Keep the MPX3 since you have fixed its flaws, and resale will probably suck, and use your $$$ to purchase the HD800

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #8 of 22
Looking at your inventory, I would definately keep the MPX3 and get a different headphone.

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 22
The purpose of a purchase would be for what? To rid yourself of a bad association? Would you sell or donate your amp to another incarnation? If it has been your go to amp, what stops it from continuing to be?

Oct 8, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 22
When you listened to the ZDT, did you think it was much better than the MPX3? Or was it just slightly better? Or was it better at all, or just different? Have your impressions changed over time? The ZDT is pretty expensive, so you have to consider is it worth the extra expense to obtain something that sounds marginally better, or just different.

On the other hand, I suppose if you buy the ZDT and compare them with your own setup, you could always sell it if you like the MPX3 better, and the loss would probably be minimal. Or you could then sell the MPX3 (the resale value might not be too bad if it's been "made safe"). Or you could keep both.
icon10.gif

I kind of like Tom's idea of maybe trying out the HD800 with the MPX3. You can easily get those on 30 days return, so that gives you a chance to see if the HD800 gives you a nice upgrade, and you could always go to the ZDT or another amp at a later time.

P.S. I've been thinking somewhat along the same lines as you recently, but have decided to keep my Supra (recently fixed) for awhile, because it just sounds too good, and I figure the odds of making a big improvement with another amp are not that great.

Oct 8, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 22
I actually have Absorbine_Sr 's ZD here for repairs (after the input switch got
somehow kicked in or otherwise broken into 3 pieces, and one of the ceramic
tube sockets was cracked in half) and i've been listening to it vs the Extreme and
a few other amplifiers. My only conclusion is that you really need both... and it
really makes a significant difference what your favorite headphones are.

Oct 8, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 22
Another vote for both
smily_headphones1.gif

The MPX3 is the luxurious pillow of headphone amps - but definitely on the smooth, luscious, seductive side. The ZD is more neutral (from my several auditions of it). It's true what Tom Hankins now - you'll get very little $$ for selling the MPX3 - Singlepower resale values are deservedly at an all-time low.

So keep both, and change them up periodically. Variety is the spice of life.

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually have Absorbine_Sr 's ZD here ... My only conclusion is that you really need both... and it
really makes a significant difference what your favorite headphones are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for both
smily_headphones1.gif

Hah, I'm sure that isn't what he wanted to hear.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back