Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE II - review and impressions
Mar 21, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #826 of 873
AFAIK amp tech hasn't really had any kind of major evolution since then*, but portable amp stacks in general seem to have fallen out of fashion, though there are still a decent number of options available- mainly replaced by more versatile DAPs, a big shift toward IEMs over headphones, and ubiquity of small usb & bluetooth dac/amp dongles due to so many phones dropping headphone jacks (as well as a few successful larger portable dac/amps like Chord Mojo, iFi Black Lable, Fiio Q5).

*Vorzuge do have the Duo if you want tone controls. The THX brand "AAA" licnesed amp designs have become very popular, but I think all the portables are combo dac/amps like the Monolith, Q5s (also, idk that they are necessarily that much different than other measurement minded amps like the Pure). There've been a few other developments like the Korg Nanotube, but doesn't seem to have made huge inroads as of yet (there's a DIY kit you can buy from Japan, the DX220 DAP has a modular nanotube amp).
If you are not looking for fancy DAC options, the Vorzüge amps are still part of the best of the best portable amps to find, especially when considering that they are - for their power - extremely small (in comparison to other portable amps) and that they have an analogue quality that is hard to find in products like chord, that more feel digital.

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #827 of 873
Hi everyone,

After doing some circles around head-fi looking for a portable amp for my Audeze LCD2 i've arrived to the finish line with two contenders, Vorzamp Duo (I or II) or ifi Xcan. I suppose that the Duo will provide a cleaner, better layered and richer sound and the xcan more power and dynamics with less finesse, but well, i can't try them so i have to ask around. Has anyone here tried both? Battery life and bluetooth are tempting capabilities on the newer ifi, but if the sound is going to improve dramatically i'd put my money in a second hand Vorzuge...

And that said, i'd like to know more about batteries in the Duo vs Duo II. Is there any significant difference apart for them being separated (two AA) on the first? Is it easy to change them on the go or you need a screwdriver? Does it hum when it charges? And how much should i expect them to last in a real life usage?

Hope i can find some answers here. I've been reading all the last hour your excitement about the vorzamps on this thread and now the tiny and powerful consumerist devil that eventually controls my brain is beginning to play with the red button...

Aug 25, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #829 of 873
Owning the calyx m which has only 4 hours battery life, so for me the 10 hours battery of the Duo II was brilliant :wink:
I make the DX200 lined out to my DUO II. Most of the time, DX200 runs out of power at first. :smile: I also have PURE II but the charging cable is a bit problematic because when it is plugged in, the red light is always shining. I have to adjust the position of the cable several times until the light keeps stable. The charging process of DUO II is much better.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #831 of 873
They do indeed!

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #832 of 873
does anyone know? or is it just me, in trying to go to Vorzuges site it has a block to it? it asks for a user name and a password? thanks,

Dec 2, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #834 of 873
New version of the Pure II out now. Might pick up a couple to drive my Grados. Www.vorzuge.com
This is so tempting. While ever fiber in me says to get it, I would like a review first. I'm sure it is great but to me from the Pure II to the II+ wasn't that great of an improvement. I hope this is not like that.

Dec 2, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #835 of 873
This is so tempting. While ever fiber in me says to get it, I would like a review first. I'm sure it is great but to me from the Pure II to the II+ wasn't that great of an improvement. I hope this is not like that.

Hi there. I imagine it’s pretty similar. I had the pure ii plus for a while then got an iQube v5 with internal dac with all kinds of connections and uh.. honestly I have grown to appreciate the qualities of what an amp brings to the table rather than the dac. I wish I never sold the pure ii+. It’s an amp to behold. I think this is more like a revision than anything. I would wait a couple more years if it were me. If you use it a lot.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #836 of 873
Hi there. I imagine it’s pretty similar. I had the pure ii plus for a while then got an iQube v5 with internal dac with all kinds of connections and uh.. honestly I have grown to appreciate the qualities of what an amp brings to the table rather than the dac. I wish I never sold the pure ii+. It’s an amp to behold. I think this is more like a revision than anything. I would wait a couple more years if it were me. If you use it a lot.
I do use mine plenty (Pure II), my favorite portable amp. If it is a revision I will definitely wait for something else or get the Duo II.

Dec 2, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #837 of 873
yes I third that, I have the Duo, and the P2, both are super awesome amps, along with Roberts Headstage Arrow 5tx, Cypher Labs stuff, and ALO's products, the latter 2 no longer make any gear, so it is great to see the so called old styled gear still represented, nothing like in the past, so nice to know I could sell them, and replace them without any trouble, and now the P2 pro, and what an awesome BF price, $100. less than the +, if I had the extra funds, I would be toooo tempted not to get it? Go VorZuge!

Dec 5, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #839 of 873
yes I third that, I have the Duo, and the P2, both are super awesome amps, along with Roberts Headstage Arrow 5tx, Cypher Labs stuff, and ALO's products, the latter 2 no longer make any gear, so it is great to see the so called old styled gear still represented, nothing like in the past, so nice to know I could sell them, and replace them without any trouble, and now the P2 pro, and what an awesome BF price, $100. less than the +, if I had the extra funds, I would be toooo tempted not to get it? Go VorZuge!

As someone with both would you recommend the Duo over the P2? Are the EQ options a worthwhile addition. (context likely to run AK120 -> mojo -> P2/Duo)

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #840 of 873
As someone with both would you recommend the Duo over the P2? Are the EQ options a worthwhile addition. (context likely to run AK120 -> mojo -> P2/Duo)

it depends on what IEM I listen to, some pair better with the Dou, and others with the P2, the P2 has a cleaner more revealing sound to it, where the Dou tends to sound thicker/heavier/more fun with more emphasis on the lower end, but with the EQ switches/bass and treble, you can tweak the sound more, but overall the P2 is more cleaner and revealing, if your looking for a more analytical sound, but both are very awesome and very musical, adding to the soundstage and presence of whatever you'd be listening to, I pair with my brighter IEM's with the Dou, and my darker IEM's with the P2,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back