Volume Uncap: Ipod Classic?
Dec 13, 2007 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Four-Four

New Head-Fier
I'm about to buy a classic to replace my 4G 60GB Ipod. I had to uncap the volume on my 4G via GoPod as it was not loud enough. I have checked with my new Atrio M5's and I am still in the same volume range (maybe a slight touch lower).

This is not because I'm hard of hearing, but most likely because I MP3Gain all my mp3's before uploading to my Ipod.

So, assuming the Classic is capped, is there a way to uncap it (last thing I read somewhere else was that GoPod would not work with 6G)?

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 22
You're in europe?

The new ipod is capped to hell, never have I suffered with such a low HP output! with IEM's I have to have the volume over half way, usually 3/4 full.

No way to uncap it yet.

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd really want it louder than the maximum output? Well, at least your trip to head-fi wont cost you much, once your hearing goes in about 2 months you'll have no reason to put cash into audio gear, so its actually a good thing.

Maybe, just maybe, he wants to run some very juice heavy cans, and he needs more output then say, YOU and your IEMs require.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

You'd really want it louder than the maximum output? Well, at least your trip to head-fi wont cost you much, once your hearing goes in about 2 months you'll have no reason to put cash into audio gear, so its actually a good thing.

My mp3's are all mp3gained to 89dB, on my uncapped 4G ipod I have the volume up to about 85% to get a decent sound, this is with 32ohm Atrio M5's (32ohm is the same as the ipod buds I believe).

Are you saying I have a problem with my hearing?

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

yes, that's what i want to do
rolleyes.gif

****in cynical person
tongue.gif

Please don't talk to me again if your answer is going to be as moronic as the one I have quoted.

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DominicKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, that's what i want to do
rolleyes.gif

****in cynical person
tongue.gif

Please don't talk to me again if your answer is going to be as moronic as the one I have quoted.

I'll do you one better; I was never talking to you in the first place. My comment was directed at four-four. Now don't we feel silly? Nice touch with the four-letter words followed by a little
tongue.gif
face, very passive-aggressive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe, just maybe, he wants to run some very juice heavy cans, and he needs more output then say, YOU and your IEMs require.

Last I checked, the Atrio M5 wasn't a set of very heavy juice cans. He needs only as much output as ME and my IEMs.

And no Four-Four, Im not saying you have a problem with your hearing, we had not clarified that you had gained your MP3's to such a decibel level.

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

I'll do you one better; I was never talking to you in the first place. My comment was directed at four-four. Now don't we feel silly?

OK, so would you please respond to my last post to you i.e.:

My mp3's are all mp3gained to 89dB, on my uncapped 4G ipod I have the volume up to about 85% to get a decent sound, this is with 32ohm Atrio M5's (32ohm is the same as the ipod buds I believe).

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Four-Four /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so would you please respond to my last post to you i.e.:

I answered that in my last post, look at the bottom.

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

I answered that in my last post, look at the bottom.

Fair enough, although I think you edited it 5 mins after my last post.

For sure, without the gain to 89dB I would not have my uncapped 4G ipod on 85% volume as I'm sure that would be uncomfortably loud and therefore an obvious danger to my ears, long term.

Anyway, in conclusion, I'll either have to put up with an ultra-quiet ipod classic or re-mp3gain all my mp3's to a higher reference level (and therefore have more clipping) ... so I'll wait until the classic is uncapped by gopod or someone.

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Four-Four /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough, although I think you edited it 5 mins after my last post.

For sure, without the gain to 89dB I would not have my uncapped 4G ipod on 85% volume as I'm sure that would be uncomfortably loud and therefore an obvious danger to my ears, long term.

Anyway, in conclusion, I'll either have to put up with an ultra-quiet ipod classic or re-mp3gain all my mp3's to a higher reference level (and therefore have more clipping) ... so I'll wait until the classic is uncapped by gopod or someone.

Right you are, I didnt notice your post before my edit.

Dec 14, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 22
I believe there are a couple of apps out there addressing the volume cap on previous EU models, but no one seems to have a real solution to the classic yet.

gopod
goPod

This doesn't appear to cater for the classic and any enquiries (by me, and, it seems, other frustrated users) as to when this might be updated are met with no reply.

As I'm on a mac I found this, although not much good if you're on Windows. (Before I got a chance to use it i decided to return the classic and am now awaitng a zen micro!)

ipod volume booster
iPod Volume Booster (English)

You're not alone - there's a lot of other people discussing this issue:

EU volume limitation on iPod classic - how to evade? - iPod - iPhone - iTunes Forums at iLounge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back