Volume setting for Etys compared to Grados, i'm a bit worried here
Jul 20, 2002 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

erikiksaz

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, i just received my Ety ER4s, and they're wonderful, BUT there's something that's been bugging me. I know that they are 100 Ohms, compared to the 32 Ohms of my sr325's. This means that i should have to turn up the volume a bit more on my amp, right?

My normal setup would be something like:

ct570 -> jmt cha47 -> sr325 (volume at 8-9 o' clock)

Now it is more like:

ct570 -> jmt cha47 -> er4s (volume at 10 o' clock)

The default (no sound) setting of the V pot is 6 o' clock.

Is this okay?

Jul 20, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 4
That is normal - for a roughly equal perceived loudness level. The ER-4S isn't particularly efficient, so an amp is recommended. And you'll have to turn up the volume a bit higher with the ER-4S than you normally would with Grados.

Jul 20, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 4
It will take more power to drive the ER4-S than almost all of the headphones in the entire Grado line. It's normal for you to have to adjust the volume control for differences in headphones.

Of course it's best to go by your hearing rather than your amp settings as to what is loud enough. Some recordings will be quieter or louder than others and you'll need to adjust for that as well.

Jul 20, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 4
Whew, okay, thanks guys. Just a bit worried there. I just wasn't getting the full effect when listening at 9 o'clock. I thought it was a problem with the seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back