volume level with um1 and D2
Oct 25, 2008 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

martinmach

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

wondering what should be the safe volume level with um1 and D2. i listen at 12 in quiet place and 20-25 outside, is that safe?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Oct 25, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 12
[size=small]In the long history of the world, only our generations have been granted the role of preserving hearing in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shank from this responsibility - I welcome it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavour will light our hobby and all who enjoy it -- and the glow from that fire can truly light the world.

And so, my fellow Head-fi'ers: Ask not what level of volume is safe for you — ask what lowest volume can there be for your hearing.
[/size]

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #4 of 12
Hi, I also have a um1 and a d2 and i usually listen to about 5-6 non-eqd in a quite place and 7-9 non-eqd outside on the street/subway depending on the music. imho in regards to a lower or safe hearing level, I always thought that as long as you can somewhat hear the outside world it would be considered safe.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 12
i use shure se530 at volumes 30-40, and it dont sound too loud to me. i was told once that if its uncomfortable to listen to then its too loud.

you guys listening below 20 is mad, thats more than quiet enough. you will be lucky to be hitting 80db. which is safe to listen to for any amount of time according to the pro's

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by centerfold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If my UM1's go above 15 on my D2, I start getting worried.

trust me at that volume you dont have to be worried. i reckon you can go to 30 easy without risking any damage, my se530 are very sensitive and as i mentioned i can easily go to 40, this is when i think i should stop.

i should point out the um1 is 25ohm, and rated 114db/mw.
the shure se530 is 36ohm, and rated 119db/mw.

the um1 is 10ohm less so is slightly easier to drive for the D2 (which is 16ohm) so the um1 will get louder a little quicker but still, i think 30 would still be a perfectly safe level

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 12
Everyone's ears are different. There is no universal "safe" volume. the safe volume is probably the lowest volume you can find where you can hear all of what you want to hear in the recording.

That is why I get worried when I turn it up past 15 on my UM1's. I know I sit comfortably around 10, so if I have to turn it up past 15, I'm doing it because of outside interference, which means I am basically trying to drown out the loud noise with even louder noise, which probably can't be doing me any good.

I guess it worries me a little bit more, since I'm a musician and I hear music at various levels everyday. Went to get my ears checked and they noticed that my left ear is not noticing higher frequencies like my right ear does (I actually feel it when I listen to music sometimes, live or recorded). So I guess I am just a little bit more aware of my situation.

Oct 25, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]In the long history of the world, only our generations have been granted the role of preserving hearing in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shank from this responsibility - I welcome it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavour will light our hobby and all who enjoy it -- and the glow from that fire can truly light the world.

And so, my fellow Head-fi'ers: Ask not what level of volume is safe for you — ask what lowest volume can there be for your hearing.
[/size]

But you have to factor in the Fletcher-Munson effect. e.g. the effect is noticeable for me when I change from 9 to 10 on my D2.

Anyway, the D2 is meant for EQing. I swear by it.

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for the answers. it gave me a perspective how loud, i should be listening

i hear a tiny squeak at 1-2. does this indicate hearing loss? the um1's really comes alive at 7-8(Flat EQ). i usually increase it over 15-20 to compensate for the noise when i am on subway or on bus. is there a way to calculate the db for the volume steps in d2 for um1?

um1 is rated 25ohm, rated 114db/mw.(courtesy... jinx20001)
D2 Output Power (per channel): 37 mW(maximum?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back