Volume knob DIY question
Jan 30, 2011 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mcgsxr

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Millett Max that I want to swap out the volume knob on.

I see that most stock and eBay knobs that fit on the Alps pot are using a set screw.

What if the object to be used as a volume knob does not allow for the set screw hole to be drilled?

It could be a rock, or a golf ball, or a walnut! 

Have any of the folks out there tackled this one?

I read a great casework thread, so I know that folks out there have tried lots of different things.

Is there some kind of sleeve or something that could be pressed into the knob, that would then attach to the Alps pot shaft with a set screw?

Thanks guys,

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 6
You could make a collar with a set screw. It would clamp onto the shaft and you could give it a notch and key the knob so it stays on the collar.

I think an easier solution would be to just glue the knob onto the shaft, as long as you have no plans to take it apart. 

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 6
I would favour the sleeve and set screw approach - DIY builds have been known to be taken apart over the years.

Perhaps I can buy something related, and resize it for the Alps pot.

I have seen a unit with a sleeve and set screw already on it, but sized for 5/16 vs the 1/4 of the Alps.

Perhaps the set screw can make up the difference, or I could shim it?

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 6
I don't know for sure but I would think the set screw should be able to account for 1/16 of an inch. It might result in the knob being very slightly off center if you are bothered by things like that. You could also wrap the pot shaft in some tape or something to make it slightly thicker to fit better with the sleeve. 

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 6
Certainly sounds like it is worth exploring.

I have my system (main and headphone) in my billiard room (OK, I am being generous, it is an unfinished basement, but it is where we play pool!), and I am considering an 8 ball as the volume knob.

Lots of folks have adapted them for use with car shifters, so there are kits that fit a 5/16th shaft.

Thanks!

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 6
One option:

Buy some wood (fancier the better)
Cut a circle with a circle cutter (use the smallest guide drill bit possible)
Sand the piece using the drill press or drill (or lathe)

You can buy perfect (cheap) aluminum tubing that will just fit the shaft @Home Depot
Drill the knob to the OD of the tube - critical to use the previous guide hole to make sure you stay centered
Cut the tube to length, and epoxy into the wood
Use the proper small drill bit that comes with your tap to drill through wood and aluminum for the set screw (also available @Lowes or HomeDepot)
Tap the aluminum, and screw in the set screw
Fill in the top hole, sand, and finish (tung oil, wipe on poly, lacquer, etc)

Pics:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back