Volume Differences in Movies / Games vs Spotify and YouTube
Aug 17, 2018 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

CluckerByte

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Something I noticed a while back, is that 5.1 / 7.1 movies and some games (like I just demoed Ghost Recon: Wildlands) requires way more volume than other content such as playing a YouTube video or Spotify Premium music (with full quality and no compression of sound enabled) to reach desired audio levels.
Does anybody know why this is?

I can listen to a YouTube video at 1/4 to 2/4 volume on my JDS Element and then when playing Wildlands requires something like 3/4 volume, same goes with movies.
I assumed it might have to do with dynamic volume as these are content sources that usually have large dynamic audio differences between sounds, but the loud sounds aren't crazy which you'd think they would be if all was truly in-line with volume relativity.
I'm using my amp in low-gain with Audeze LCD2C, high gain the volume changes are less drastic provided more power but it appears you should use the lowest gain possible to minimise extra noise.

EDIT:

• I should also mention that I have this same thing happen on my Anthem MRX 720 7.1 amplifier running 2x speakers and 2x subs.
• Wildlands was running in stereo sound config inside the settings menu, only movies had extra channels.
• This is running via Windows PC
• Dead Space 2 has the same thing, needs higher volume.
• I found WoW to be sort of the same, but lower than usual in volume requirement compared to DS2 and Wildlands
• Volume in software is always maxed out or at defaults, Windows volume is set to 99% as recommended by JDS Labs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back