Volume ControL??
Oct 9, 2006 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

errorrrr

New Head-Fier
I recently got the Shure E4G... it came with this 3.5mm volume control thingy... I was wondering what you call that thing? and where can I buy something similar?? it's male 3.5mm on one hand, and 3.5mm female on the other (connects to the hadphone).

Oct 9, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 15
Yes, its the volume attenuator. They add additional impedance to the earphones.

I found it muffles the sound, so never really used it. There are better ones out there though that you might want to look after. They might not give you the freedom to control the volume but they do attenuate it by a certain amount, and are generally less effective on sound quality.

One really good example is the ER4P-24Cable from Etymotic Research which converts ER-4P to ER-4S, and what it really does is adding 75 ohm additional impedance to the earphones, which is also what other attenuators do in general.

Oct 10, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 15
If you want to boost the volume, you would have to either get your headphones recabled (to reduce impedance), or you could use a headphones amplifier.

Oct 10, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by errorrrr
I want something that like boosts volume... and if able, like able to tune volume.

Attenuators don't boosts volume. They can only pull down, they don't pull up. If you find the source is too weak to output enough volume, then you should consider getting an amp.

But E4s are very very efficient, I never find them to be too quiet out of any source. In fact I usually find them too loud, and that's when an attenuator would be needed.

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 15
Those Shure attenuators are really crap. They really do decrease the sound quality. I tried to use one with my K701 and a barrel-type 1/4" to 1/8" in order to reduce the strain on my jack, but I realised the decrease in sound quality and promptly bought a Senn cable-type 1/4" to 1/8".

Like derek8555 said, attenuators do exactly what their name suggests, and that is to attenuate sound. If you want more volume, get an amp!

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 15
A portable amp will do more just boost the volume, it will increase the wonders of precieved soundstage and sometimes help clarity.

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by errorrrr
what's a good attenuators?? are the Koss attenuators good?? >_<

I think ER4P-24 from Etymotic Research is a safe bet. They add 75ohm impedance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons
A portable amp will do more just boost the volume, it will increase the wonders of precieved soundstage and sometimes help clarity.

Whatever he has to say
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNew007
how much ohm do you need inorder to listen to imod at a comfort listening level

I believe the whole purpose of imod is to listen through amp with an increased sound quality. If you listen to it directly, then I don't think you need imod. Same applies to any lineout basically an amp is a must. Period.

But to answer your question, I don't know how much attenuation you really need. Shure attentuator does the job if that's what you want. FYI, the volume out of ipod lineout is always fixed (something equivalent to headphone-out at 100% volume).

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, its the volume attenuator. They add additional impedance to the earphones.

I found it muffles the sound, so never really used it. There are better ones out there though that you might want to look after. They might not give you the freedom to control the volume but they do attenuate it by a certain amount, and are generally less effective on sound quality.

One really good example is the ER4P-24Cable from Etymotic Research which converts ER-4P to ER-4S, and what it really does is adding 75 ohm additional impedance to the earphones, which is also what other attenuators do in general.

Just to add to what i said before, The impedance comes into affect when we do small signal analysis. This is valid for frequency domain and using laplace transform. So once i solved the second order linear homogoneous differential equation, i came to that equation, the total impedence becomes 250jW, so if we make the W be relativly low, as it is in most new day audio, we will get a very reasonable amount of impenence. I can post the calculation sif anyone wants.

Nov 23, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek85555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to add to what i said before, The impedance comes into affect when we do small signal analysis. This is valid for frequency domain and using laplace transform. So once i solved the second order linear homogoneous differential equation, i came to that equation, the total impedence becomes 250jW, so if we make the W be relativly low, as it is in most new day audio, we will get a very reasonable amount of impenence. I can post the calculation sif anyone wants.

Im sorry about last post, i made a calculation misatke, it works out to be 260jW, sorry about the confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back