Volume control with a DAC/Amp
Jul 27, 2018 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jbiribi

New Head-Fier
I want to buy a Topping D3 to use with my TV by optical cable. Using that way, I'll be able to control the volume with the TV remote controller too? Or only using the Topping D3 volume button?

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 5
I want to buy a Topping D3 to use with my TV by optical cable. Using that way, I'll be able to control the volume with the TV remote controller too? Or only using the Topping D3 volume button?

That depends on whether the TV allows for volume control on its digital output, and chances are, it doesn't. This is why HT receivers take a digital signal and then volume control is on the HD receiver. The ones we have can't control the volume when running digital output via HDMI ARC.

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 5
That depends on whether the TV allows for volume control on its digital output, and chances are, it doesn't. This is why HT receivers take a digital signal and then volume control is on the HD receiver. The ones we have can't control the volume when running digital output via HDMI ARC.

The 3.5mm output can be controlled by the remote controller. Maybe the optical can too?

Jul 28, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 5
The 3.5mm output can be controlled by the remote controller. Maybe the optical can too?

That is far from automatic. 3.5mm headphone output can be tied to the same amp circuit as the speakers and therefore volume control works. If the HDTV has no DSP chip that allows for volume control on SPDIF output then it can't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back