Volume Attenuator
Mar 1, 2006 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

needmoretoys

100+ Head-Fier
I have a GS-1, HD590 and DT770. My wife likes the HD590 best and I like the DT880 best. If we want to listen at the same time, the problem is that the HD590 plays about 7 dB louder than the DT880 at the same volume setting on the GS-1. Is there a good headphone volume attenuator available to bring them to the same level. I know I can get a $10 Koss at the local electronics store or the $7 Radio Shack one, but I've got to believe that these will degrade the sound quality. Are there any good headphone volume attenuators made that are reeasonably priced (< $100)?

Mar 1, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 6
This sounds like it was designed for you:

http://griffintechnology.com/product...hare/index.php

(Except for the part about having good sound quality
biggrin.gif
)

I don't really know of any hi-quality attenuators made for your purpose.

Maybe you could DIY with a good pot or even a stepped attenuator?

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 6
I have continued searching the web and cannot find a good headphone volume control. If I want to make one, would I just insert a stereo volume pot or resistors (for fixed attenuation) between my GS-1 and headphones? Would it be possible to add a pair of resistors inside the GS-1 for one of the outputs? I hate to mod my new GS-1, but would this work, or is it more complicated?

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 6
I have the same dilemma.
HD-650 and ATH-A900 together out of Gilmore V2-SE. Throwing in signal path some cheap attenuator negates the whole purpose of having high end equipment and expensive cables.

Does such thing like hi-fi in line attenuator exist?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back