Vokyl Erupt Prototype Feedback Tour
Sep 27, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #16 of 34
Hey guys! I know I said we were shipping earlier this week and I want to open this with a 3-8 part apology that I will condense into 1 part. I'M VERY SORRY

The Indiegogo campaign... absolutely... exploded. So the fantastic news is we're making a headphone! The less fantastic news is I am swamped and can't ship the tour headset (its the only one in our office currently) until Monday/Tuesday.

Thank you all so much for your early interest and support!

Sep 27, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #17 of 34
We had one person drop out so we may be able to fit you in! There is a member in AZ that would likely need to ship these to you when he's finished and then you'd be shipping to NY I believe.

However before I add you in let me check with @theotherjude about the time line, and if you would @Humblepie send me links to reviews you've done please! An I'll look it over and get back to you.

Sounds fine. All my reviews have been on these forums. Speaking of which, I have so far reviewed only my collection, and a good portion of what I own, in my personal details section.

https://www.head-fi.org/members/humblepie.478484/

I have done slightly more in depth reviews on this site like this one here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chi...-ear-headphones.822184/page-290#post-14464764

I can do even larger review though for an actual review unit instead of just things I bought for myself.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #18 of 34
Zeos Pantera made it happen! I would like to buy these headphones but I dont know, they look very gamery, if they made a matte black version I would be all over it. I would probably buy two! one for myself, and the other for my wife.

Oct 8, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #19 of 34
First in line. I just got a chance to use them since they came right after I left for RMAF. They’re...meh. The midrange is too distant and the bass is kind of muddy. The treble sounds like it has a bit of ringing but I only got to use them for a couple minutes so I’m not 100% on that. I’ll update when I use them more later tonight and post EARS measurements.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #20 of 34
image0.jpg

Got more time with the Erupts. They…need a lot of work. The bass isn’t overbearing but it does sound kind of muddy. It blurs notes a bit more than I’d like for a headphone at this price point. The midrange is a pretty sore spot. It’s dipped past 1kHz enough that it sounds too distant. That’s not necessarily a bad thing—many good headphones have that region dipped almost as much if not more. But the midrange timbre isn’t particularly good. It has this sort of nasal character past 4kHz and the region between 1-3k sounds very plasticky and artificial. The treble sounds like it has a bit of ringing in the midtreble around 10kHz and a sibilance peak. It also has a noticeable dip in the low treble that makes the ringing and sibilance much more obvious. I couldn’t really enjoy the Erupts for more than 10-15 minutes at a time because of this.

The most worrying thing is that they sound like they’re breaking up when I listen to them louder than 90dB. The bass gets a lot muddier and the midrange gets really grainy. The driver sounds like it's bottoming out and breaking up sooner than even the Elear/Clear/Elex which is already a relatively problematic headphone.

Next run I’ll do some pad swapping but I already feel bad that I’m a bit over my time so they’re going out to the next person today.

Attachments

• Vokyl Erupt.png
    Vokyl Erupt.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Vokyl Erupt HPN Comp.png
    Vokyl Erupt HPN Comp.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Vokyl Erupt Burst Decay L.png
    Vokyl Erupt Burst Decay L.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #21 of 34
Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to thank everyone for their interest and help putting this together! The feedback gathered from this tour is/will be super helpful and we anticipate your responses.

That being said, we do feel the need to reiterate this is a feedback tour, not a review tour. The unit on this tour is different from every other unit we've sent out, as only five total headphones exist and we began sending them out in August. The unit in this tour does not represent final anything and we are just trying to gather what people like/dislike about the headphone in its current form. We're gathering feedback and moving forward wrapping up prototyping and moving to T0 samples of some of the external hardware. Exciting!

As per usual with prototype tours, please relay thoughts, impressions, etc to us via PM.

We're excited that people are excited and we do very much welcome criticism at this stage, but public reviews are not the goal of this tour.

Don't hesitate with any questions!

We're very excited to get Vokyl started and want to thank you guys again for being a part of it!

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #22 of 34
so I am glad I didnt order these - going from what people are reporting here. However I see that Zeos is comparing them, and putting these above much more solid players in the headphone market - I wonder if anything Foul is at play here :)

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #23 of 34
so I am glad I didnt order these - going from what people are reporting here. However I see that Zeos is comparing them, and putting these above much more solid players in the headphone market - I wonder if anything Foul is at play here :)

Hi Haris! Due to time and part constraints, hence the need to crowdfund, we had to send out units with different tunings in order to speed up feedback on what worked and what didn't. We really needed to cast a wide net there. Some of the sets even had different pads so we could test what worked best there as well.

There are impressions of the Erupt from sources across Youtube, Head-fi, Reddit, and Twitter; and all list things we need to work on. We're using this stage to make the Erupt a great headphone for music and gaming.

On top of this I would like to add that we have never and will never pay for a positive review.

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #24 of 34
Hi Haris! Due to time and part constraints, hence the need to crowdfund, we had to send out units with different tunings in order to speed up feedback on what worked and what didn't. We really needed to cast a wide net there. Some of the sets even had different pads so we could test what worked best there as well.

There are impressions of the Erupt from sources across Youtube, Head-fi, Reddit, and Twitter; and all list things we need to work on. We're using this stage to make the Erupt a great headphone for music and gaming.

On top of this I would like to add that we have never and will never pay for a positive review.

Looking over this response I would also like to add that we'll never pay for a negative or neutral review, either :)

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #25 of 34

Hey I love your enthusiasm but let's not start speculating or making assumptions

An again the purpose of this tour is to get feedback so that a definite sound can be refined an a final tuning can be prepared and then obviously sent out to everybody.

And like Jude mentioned there are a few variations out so not everybody is hearing the same thing at this time,

So the good news is that any and all negative feedback that you see will definitely be addressed as that's the purpose of the tour!

And of course the successes and wins that the other units have had will also be considered and incorporated into the final product!

And best of all all of us here participating in the head fi thread are not being compensated or paid for any of our feedback we all just simply want to help bring an exceptional headphone to the market!

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #26 of 34

this is reassuring - thank you! PS I am a loyal JDS labs customer -solid amps and dacs

haris

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #27 of 34
Hey I love your enthusiasm but let's not start speculating or making assumptions

An again the purpose of this tour is to get feedback so that a definite sound can be refined an a final tuning can be prepared and then obviously sent out to everybody.

And like Jude mentioned there are a few variations out so not everybody is hearing the same thing at this time,

So the good news is that any and all negative feedback that you see will definitely be addressed as that's the purpose of the tour!

And of course the successes and wins that the other units have had will also be considered and incorporated into the final product!

And best of all all of us here participating in the head fi thread are not being compensated or paid for any of our feedback we all just simply want to help bring an exceptional headphone to the market!

ok that clears things up - thank you

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #28 of 34
20181012143107.jpg 20181012143137.jpg
20181012143139.jpg 20181012143140.JPG

The Vokyl Erupt *Prototype* just arrived at my doorstep from Ischa this afternoon!

Timing was perfect, since today is a beautiful autumn day in Seattle with clear sunny skies and perfect time to take these out for a quick photoshoot out on my deck.

Just some quick impressions on the build quality:

Just as the promotional photos look like - they look and feel like you're wearing an AKG headphone. But since the cups and gimbals are machined metal, they do have a premium look and feel to them as well as add a little bit of weight over the AKG headphones I have. Comfort-wise this does not seem to bother me so far but I have not listened to them for extended period of time. I'll add more impressions on sound and extended comfort this weekend.

The perforated cups look better in person than in photos. It's quite an intricate design and looks stylish without going over the top like many gamer-targeted headphones do. This a semi-open design and it does leak sound out.

The pads that came with this particular set are perforated leather (or pleather - cant really tell). I believe different test units have different pad configurations. These ones are very soft and comfortable, though they aren't totally snug in the housing and can move around a little easier than I'd prefer. Pads of course can change the sound signature, so I'll have to listen more and provide Vokyl my feedback.

Overall, I have no complaints on the exterior finish and build of the headphones. I think Vokyl has picked a nice pleasant design on this prototype build.

20181012143134.jpg

Just a quick note to the public: This is a prototype test unit that is being sent around for initial impressions. Vokyl wants us to provide feedback on their design and sound so they can better tune the headphone for the final version.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #29 of 34
Finishing up my weekend with the Vokyl Erupt and here's my feedback for this prototype unit that is part of this tour:

General Things:
I used this primarily for music and movies this weekend. I did not game with them unfortunately. I spent a lot of time listening to music and watch movies and football with them on.
This prototype is tuned sightly darker than my preferred sound signature, which is neutral/bright. So take that for what it is.

Pros:
Excellent Build
Very attractive design
Easy to wear for a long period of time
Good linear bass response
Good pad choice

Things to work on:
Recessed mids can sometimes be problematic
Some ringing at high volume, akin to what ishca points out above

I'll be looking forward to how the next phase of tuning goes. The build and design, again, are a very nice alternative to pretty much every gaming-oriented headphone out there, including the Mobius. There are some tuning tweaks that I hope Vokyl can adjust to make this product potentially excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back