Viva Egoista 845 SET Tube amplifier 10K Headphone Masterpiece
Sep 6, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #436 of 562
Can you elaborate a bit more on Egoista 845 vs Egoista 2a3 with Susvara? I'd love to hear more from someone who has used both. The 845 certainly drives the Susvara and 1266 well IMO and it's my choice for those 2 HPs. I have not heard the 2a3 though. I would love to have a 2a3 for my less demanding HPs like @EDWARIS. 2a3 is presumably sweeter sounding than 845. Tube rolling on 845 worked well for me. I'm currently using ACME 845 and Melz 1578.
I have no experience with the Egoista 2a3.
Until recently, I did own the Egoista 845 and the Susvara (for more than 6 months).
I have purchased the Egoista 845 with the same thought that you mentioned above.
However, to my disappointment, the Egoista 845 was not a good companion with the Susvara.
I listen mostly to classical music, and on complex passages at high volume (which is sometimes required on dynamic classical recordings) I’ve experienced distortion.
This is also a known fact to Viva Audio designers/owner.
They did recommend to use the Solista with the Susvara (through its speakers tap).

Sep 6, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #437 of 562
actually I ordered Feliks Envy, hope it will be great with susvara, many people says it does
I have only listened to this combination once and in show conditions.
Unfortunately, I found that the Envy was not able to drive the Susvara properly.
Similar results to what I’ve experienced with the Egoista 845.

Use your Solista to drive the Susvara, that should be a sublime combination.

Sep 29, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #438 of 562
I used Solista to drive Susvara, it was good, but maybe not great, maybe not enough. I think Envy would be better.

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #439 of 562
I used Solista to drive Susvara, it was good, but maybe not great, maybe not enough. I think Envy would be better.
Interesting. Why do you think that?
What was missing in the Solista+Susvara combo?

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #440 of 562
I have no experience with the Egoista 2a3.
Until recently, I did own the Egoista 845 and the Susvara (for more than 6 months).
I have purchased the Egoista 845 with the same thought that you mentioned above.
However, to my disappointment, the Egoista 845 was not a good companion with the Susvara.
I listen mostly to classical music, and on complex passages at high volume (which is sometimes required on dynamic classical recordings) I’ve experienced distortion.
This is also a known fact to Viva Audio designers/owner.
They did recommend to use the Solista with the Susvara (through its speakers tap).
I have a similar and honestly even worse experience using their preamp

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #444 of 562
It is very powerful but muffled as well

This comment really has me scratching my head. I own a Viva Linea preamp in my speaker system (and Viva Egoista headphone amp) and I can't image anyone that heard these products claiming they sound muffled. They are the polar opposite of muffled. The clarity is astounding.

The Linea (and the Egoista) are both world class products. Something is definitely wrong with the preamp you owned or something in the chain or tubes. I know you also have a nice system, but something is defective somewhere or some sort of component mis-match.

I would put the Linea up against any preamp at any price. I'm not saying everyone would declare it the victor in a head to head, but it would be competitive and not embarrassed by any other preamp, as long as the DAC/preamp/amp chain was matched.

My two cents.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #446 of 562
This comment really has me scratching my head. I own a Viva Linea preamp in my speaker system (and Viva Egoista headphone amp) and I can't image anyone that heard these products claiming they sound muffled. They are the polar opposite of muffled. The clarity is astounding.

The Linea (and the Egoista) are both world class products. Something is definitely wrong with the preamp you owned or something in the chain or tubes. I know you also have a nice system, but something is defective somewhere or some sort of component mis-match.

I would put the Linea up against any preamp at any price. I'm not saying everyone would declare it the victor in a head to head, but it would be competitive and not embarrassed by any other preamp, as long as the DAC/preamp/amp chain was matched.

My two cents.
Congratulations on enjoying yours in your system which is all that matters. Let me clarify myself, when I said muffled, I was referring to the lack of micro and macro details which is also comparative to other submit fi preamps such as Soulnote P3, Emm Labs Pre, and Christine and even lower end preamps. L1 doesn't have the thunderous lows that many 300B tube gears could do, the deal breaker for me is the lack of resolution and imaging, maybe perhaps due to synergy issues?There is simply no resolution, layers, seperation nor spatial information. I understand some held the belief that in real live music there is no such things, but so many pre at way much cheaper price could do way better. If clarity is what I seek, I think solid state preamp is the way to go. Why would I want a tube pre? Because personally I want that holographic, and lush sound adding to my system.

I do acknowledge that on top of its ok to good dynamics, L1 has smooth and beautiful vocal and mids with right pairing of cables and compared to some classic tube gears, it may be deemed as transparent, clear and clean. But then even the other less clear, warm, and lush preamps could have way better holographics and three-dimensionalities as my old system long time ago where I used Audiovalve Solaris ( currently discontinued) as the Preamp, to me it could defeat L1 in most aspects like quite a lot:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #447 of 562
@hifixman, we are living on different planets. Your comments above are rather extreme, to the point of not being believable (entry level preamps have better macro and micro details... your comment that "There is simply no resolution, layers, seperation nor spatial information", etc.).

P.S. what is a 700B tube?

Oct 1, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #448 of 562
@hifixman, we are living on different planets. Your comments above are rather extreme, to the point of not being believable (entry level preamps have better macro and micro details... your comment that "There is simply no resolution, layers, seperation nor spatial information", etc.).

P.S. what is a 700B tube?
300B typo on cellphone keyboard.

Just to offer my personal experience with no offense. There are many great pre amps that won't break your bank. Money is not the only and correct index in determining the sound quality as you know.

We agree to disagree cause everyone could hear differently with different setup and rooms! I am just stating my truth and my listening impression with clear conscientiousness. I have actually already toned it down quite a bit from my unfiltered opinion because I acknowledge theoretically it might possibly work well with a different system, knowing my headphone and speaker systems can't represent all cases. My comments also reflect my own case. Peace and love 💖

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #449 of 562
Why would I be offended by your opinions about audio components and where did I say cost is the only basis for judging sound quality?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #450 of 562
Hi,

22688491lp.jpg

22688494fm.jpg

since one week now, the Egoista 845 is playing in my tiny bedroom (9 m2). Man, what make this amp the room warm ! Looking forward to autum and winter, than this will be the perfect heating equipment.

By the way, its a killer amp. What most impress is the large stage and room what this Amp generate. Its so much different to the LAu.
Bass is similar to Cavalli LAu and have nice structure and very clean.
I can say, that I now arrived, perhaps in the next month I will change the 845 tubes to ELROG Er 845, its easy for me to get and looking forward how they sound.
Regards Ralf
Hi…years late, I am tempted now by the Elrog 845 for the Egoista I purchased this year…do you have some opinion now based on usage? Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back