Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Oct 19, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #3,226 of 5,715
EXT is more V-shaped than IE900.

Saw you have Layla. I never heard the Layla but I can say from frequency response graphs (inc. measurement of demo unit EXT I heard the other day), EXT has about the same bass as Layla at the max bass level if both normalized at 1khz. Also, EXT has much more upper energy. Hope this helps your decision. Fatigue-wise you can probably tell from my previous impressions.
Wow max bass on Layla??? I normally use it at 2 o’clock (most Layla owner swear by this) all the time. So it probably about 65%. Layla mid and high is kind of flat comparing to other mid centric ear(fitear togo334) That is why I’m looking for a better replacement that can surpass both.

Oct 19, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #3,228 of 5,715
Question for those who have heard the EXT. Would you say that the majority of its energy comes from the upper mids (2k-4k) or does it have more more zing in the treble?
For context, I bought the EE Odin but could not stand the pronounced upper mids but it was a fantastic iem other than that. I sold it and got the legend X which I enjoy much more, but am still missing energy with the treble since the EE signature tends to localize all of the higher frequencies in the upper mids. My ears tend to do much better with >4k frequencies and since I have my eye on the EXT it would be great if it deviated in signature in that particular area.

Oct 19, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #3,229 of 5,715
Question for those who have heard the EXT. Would you say that the majority of its energy comes from the upper mids (2k-4k) or does it have more more zing in the treble?
For context, I bought the EE Odin but could not stand the pronounced upper mids but it was a fantastic iem other than that. I sold it and got the legend X which I enjoy much more, but am still missing energy with the treble since the EE signature tends to localize all of the higher frequencies in the upper mids. My ears tend to do much better with >4k frequencies and since I have my eye on the EXT it would be great if it deviated in signature in that particular area.
I am admittedly not the most sophisticated when it comes to listening or articulating what I'm hearing, but I have some experience and I know my own sensitivities (on the latter, I am particularly sensitivtive to upper mids/lower treble - I would say roughly 2-5k for me, so about the same as what you called out).
Would be curious in others' thoughts (@mvvRAZ @Deezel177 and others), but in my opinion the short answer is: more zing in the mid/upper treble.
I hear a brightness in the treble but don't have any issues with the upper mids/lower treble. Kiiiiind of reminds me of the Bird in that regards (but again I am not comparing it outright)...i.e., the estats lend themselves in my opinion to a certain amount of brightness and are tuned such that mid/upper treble are a bit more forward in the mix, but not in a bad way at all.
I have unfortunately never heard the Odin (never bothered to given what I read, friends' opinions, and my sensitivities), but for example compared with the Evo - to my ears - the EXT is much more relaxed in the upper mid/lower treble region.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #3,230 of 5,715
When I was listening I was hearing more pronounced 's' sounds which pointed to 7-8khz. EXT and Elysium both have an elevation at around 8khz. The reason it was a bit more obvious in EXT might be contributed to more constrained upper mids in EXT compared to Elysium, so 7-8khz jumps out a bit more.

But for me, the 8khz peak is not the major problem.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #3,231 of 5,715
I agree with @gnahra. The EXT’s articulation peak is more in its mid-treble, which has that crunchy sound. I’d say the upper-mids are about neutral; on par with or a hair behind the 8kHz peak, depending on the pairing/recording. But, it still isn’t an inherently bright or peaky IEM to me, because it’s all cushioned by the mid-bass.

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #3,234 of 5,715
So what i gather so far EXT has a subbass roll off?
I'd say very subbass focused, it slides all the way down from subbass to 1khz. So if you set 1khz as baseline, you have +5db@150hz and +10db@20hz.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #3,236 of 5,715
So what i gather so far EXT has a subbass roll off?
Definitely not a roll-off. It’s a somewhat midbassy presentation, but it reaches as deep as any well tuned DD I’ve heard

Oct 19, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #3,237 of 5,715
As we speak about the sensitivity to specific mid and/or treble region, I would address the question regarding EXT/Odin compared to Fir M5 and Sony M9.

I look for smooth and comfort sound, as example, couldn’t live with Anole VX, because they were hot somewhere in upper mid/lower treble. On the contrary, Fir M5 and Sony M9 are absolutely fine for me in terms of "smoothness" and are perfect for long and non-fatigue listening (Fir M5 head above Sony M9).

How EXT/Odin could be compared to Fir M5 and Sony M9 in this regard and which of them (Odin on EXT) are smoother and more comfortable (putting technicalities, soundstage etc aside)?

Both will be a blind buy. Sure, both are great in its own way, but being hot/harsh/peaky makes the other virtues negligible.

Oct 19, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #3,238 of 5,715
I'd say very subbass focused, it slides all the way down from subbass to 1khz. So if you set 1khz as baseline, you have +5db@150hz and +10db@20hz.
was that ext right out of the box? it settles a good bit after a burn in.
from what i have heard so far in impressions/ initial reviews is it is better than ely in every aspect. The base is def more, but it blends in nicely after burn with everything

Oct 19, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #3,239 of 5,715
Where did you hear this to? haha. From what I've gathered it just seems to have an even sub-bass and mid-bass accentuation.
Saw some mentioning midbass focus so thought its going to roll off. Hope not.
Ok good to know. Might be interested later.

Oct 19, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #3,240 of 5,715
Definitely not a roll-off. It’s a somewhat midbassy presentation, but it reaches as deep as any well tuned DD I’ve heard
Can you comment on how it compares to A18s? I'm guessing the DD bass reaches better with better dynamics. I'm mainly curious about 1) mid-bass thickness, and 2) mids-treble resolution between the two? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back