Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
May 16, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #2,521 of 5,702
That's interesting. I'm generally not a cable guy, so could you tell me what areas did you see an improvement over the stock cable? I might end up getting a pure-silver cable to bring up the treble a bit more.

I’m doing a lot of listening to my new arrivals, so please give me a little time and I’ll gladly respond to your question …

May 17, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #2,522 of 5,702
I had the great pleasure of collaborating with my good audio friend @SLC1966 on a joint review of ELYSIUM.

EF9B7BE3-A170-4E3B-8D11-EC7F0C5231A2.jpeg

This is a review with a twist, with our brilliant and totally real human interviewer “Bob” asking us our thoughts on all things Ely.

Bob also had the great privilege of interviewing Oliver Marino and Marcel Schoenen from Vision Ears to tell us more about the creative process behind Elysium.

Hope you enjoy the read!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/vision-ears-elysium.23939/reviews#review-25898

May 17, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #2,523 of 5,702

Attachments

• 185509059_1819001174968448_2848096686993772814_n.jpg
    185509059_1819001174968448_2848096686993772814_n.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 186450589_1819001371635095_3269233039656795635_n.jpg
    186450589_1819001371635095_3269233039656795635_n.jpg
    681.3 KB · Views: 0
May 17, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #2,524 of 5,702
May 17, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #2,525 of 5,702
I’d normally suggest that it’s perhaps a third-party reshell. But, since it’s coming from VE themselves, that could possibly be a sample that they’re gauging public interest with. It looks like they’re teasing at what could be if the demand from this post is strong enough. :wink:
A bit OOT, but the distributor also teasing "EA King Arthur Limited CM" :sweat_smile:
I'm not sure about the truth until official words out..

https://www.facebook.com/crystalsoundaudio/posts/4200632229996284?__tn__=-R

May 17, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #2,526 of 5,702
It’s real. Official Vision Ears Erlkonig with custom fit. (However I don’t think it will be available for public though)
Post by Eric Yu.
A80AB04C-F570-45E5-9D62-9057EECBFE77.jpeg

Attachments

• 16118680-7661-4E83-8A38-51AA2D2424E0.jpeg
    16118680-7661-4E83-8A38-51AA2D2424E0.jpeg
    450.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 635AD4F6-B8E6-429C-886C-E1598FCEBA71.png
    635AD4F6-B8E6-429C-886C-E1598FCEBA71.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • E7DD1678-0395-49BD-AB8A-82AE117ACF6A.jpeg
    E7DD1678-0395-49BD-AB8A-82AE117ACF6A.jpeg
    460.2 KB · Views: 0
  • D8AC510D-DB90-4C93-9E56-E5BBAB1A8B47.jpeg
    D8AC510D-DB90-4C93-9E56-E5BBAB1A8B47.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #2,527 of 5,702
That's interesting. I'm generally not a cable guy, so could you tell me what areas did you see an improvement over the stock cable? I might end up getting a pure-silver cable to bring up the treble a bit more.

The two qualities I noticed the most with the addition of the UM Copper M2 was the bass was tighter with greater definition and the sometimes tizzy sounding upper trebles were improved.

May 17, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #2,528 of 5,702
custom erlky is straight crazy...

May 17, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #2,529 of 5,702
Hummm I bought for a limited edition... If you can buy new Erlkonig, this is not a limited edition anymore.

I can see that my profile is not up to date also lol

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #2,530 of 5,702
Hey, everyone! The wonderful folks over @Vision Ears have generously sent over their brand-new VE7 CIEMs for me to review, and they’ve just arrived today. I've spent a couple hours with them, and here are my first impressions:

As usual, the fit and finish on these are absolutely fantastic. It’s flawless all around, and I love the design as well. The faceplates are ever-so-slightly reminiscent of the Bifrost faceplates on the ODIN, but with a different colour palette and topography; not as many pinks or blues, and spread out in plates, almost. I love the blue shells that it’s paired with. It’s slightly darker and redder than some of the blues you’ll find on the market, and it contrasts the faceplates very nicely. The fit is a bit smoother than my VE6XC or my ELYSIUM too, which I personally find easier to insert and more comfortable.

VE-VE7-HF-2_S.jpg

Sonically, what I’m hearing right now is exactly what VE’s advertised, which is an emphasis on clarity and neutrality. While, to some, that may suggest a lift in the treble or a relaxed low-end, I’d say the VE7 accomplishes its neutrality by simply not doing too much. It doesn’t lift that, or dip this, or expand that, or aerate this. It has a more relaxed, more stand-off-ish approach to presenting music that comes off clean, pure and precise, yet full and realistic too.

I think, for me, the in-ear’s standout feature is the specificity of its imaging. Notes are distinct, tight and focused, and you know exactly where they’re placed in the mix. Beneath them is this incredibly crisp background as well, which highlights those nuances even more. For example, on Nathan East’s rendition of Love’s Holiday, you can hear that the hi-hat is positioned slightly to the right, which suggests that the drums were panned from the audience’s POV. Whereas, with less precise monitors, you’d probably just assume it was panned centrally and not even think about it. Those are the kinds of tidbits the VE7 can retrieve with its accuracy.

The downside to that tonality and that tighter note size is the VE7 won't be the most sweeping, resonant or expressive in-ear you’ll probably ever hear. You won’t get those soaring, belting vocals or riveting, ethereal strings. The lows won’t rattle skulls either, even though it does really, really well for a BA. It’s, again, a more matter-of-fact sort of presentation. But, given the advertising, that shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. Its stage is also unexaggerated and studio-like; more near-field than PA system. Again, given the VE7’s philosophy and purpose, that’s a clear given.

VE-VE7-HF-3_S.jpg

Otherwise, though, I’m very, very impressed with I’m hearing technically. Again, imaging accuracy, stereo separation and stage tidiness are absolutely top-flight. Whenever a note inches left, right, forward or backwards, you’ll hear it with superb clarity. They’re all individually well-textured and fleshed out too. The shaker on the far-left of Nathan East’s Lifecycle, for example, sounds just as tactile as the instruments centre-stage.

I also love how much headroom there is on the in-ear. The mid aren’t pushed too much, which allows instruments to breathe, and allows for calm, calculated analysis without saturated vocals being shoved in your face. They’re nicely-full, though, which is impressive given what I said about focus and precision earlier. The highs are very well-refined too; extended with a definite edge to them. But, they never exceed the midrange, which I find crucial for reference monitors.

I compared it briefly against VE’s flagship ELYSIUM, and they’re similar in a lot of ways. The VE7 is livelier-sounding as a whole with a bit more energy in its high-mids and highs. There’s more articulation and air to them there, while the ELYSIUM is warmer and more relaxed with its stock cable. If I swapped the cable out for something more neutral, they’d be more comparable.

VE-VE7-HF-1_S.jpg

Instruments also sound more vivid on the VE7, because of that added presence. Though, the ELYSIUM still has the more sweeping, rousing mids of the two, especially with solo performances. There’s a movement and size there that the VE7 trades for its precision. Down low, the ELYSIUM has a warmer mid-bass, but the VE7 has a weightier, more solid, more palpable sub-bass.

All in all, just a couple hours or so in, I think the VE7 is a really, really promising in-ear. It fulfils its brief to a T, and it doesn’t really put a foot wrong along the way. Obviously, you gotta know your own preferences to determine whether or not it’ll be the in-ear for you. But, as a monitor that almost presents music as is - incredibly shrewd in imaging, yet without tonal cheats, coldness in timbre or dulled dynamics - I’m thinking it pretty much hits the nail on the head at the moment.

I hope you found those impressions helpful. Look out for the full review within the next couple months, and please feel free to ask any questions, as always. Cheers! :)

May 17, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #2,531 of 5,702
Hey, everyone! The wonderful folks over @Vision Ears have generously sent over their brand-new VE7 CIEMs for me to review, and they’ve just arrived today. I've spent a couple hours with them, and here are my first impressions:

As usual, the fit and finish on these are absolutely fantastic. It’s flawless all around, and I love the design as well. The faceplates are ever-so-slightly reminiscent of the Bifrost faceplates on the ODIN, but with a different colour palette and topography; not as many pinks or blues, and spread out in plates, almost. I love the blue shells that it’s paired with. It’s slightly darker and redder than some of the blues you’ll find on the market, and it contrasts the faceplates very nicely. The fit is a bit smoother than my VE6XC or my ELYSIUM too, which I personally find easier to insert and more comfortable.

VE-VE7-HF-2_S.jpg

Sonically, what I’m hearing right now is exactly what VE’s advertised, which is an emphasis on clarity and neutrality. While, to some, that may suggest a lift in the treble or a relaxed low-end, I’d say the VE7 accomplishes its neutrality by simply not doing too much. It doesn’t lift that, or dip this, or expand that, or aerate this. It has a more relaxed, more stand-off-ish approach to presenting music that comes off clean, pure and precise, yet full and realistic too.

I think, for me, the in-ear’s standout feature is the specificity of its imaging. Notes are distinct, tight and focused, and you know exactly where they’re placed in the mix. Beneath them is this incredibly crisp background as well, which highlights those nuances even more. For example, on Nathan East’s rendition of Love’s Holiday, you can hear that the hi-hat is positioned slightly to the right, which suggests that the drums were panned from the audience’s POV. Whereas, with less precise monitors, you’d probably just assume it was panned centrally and not even think about it. Those are the kinds of tidbits the VE7 can retrieve with its accuracy.

The downside to that tonality and that tighter note size is the VE7 won't be the most sweeping, resonant or expressive in-ear you’ll probably ever hear. You won’t get those soaring, belting vocals or riveting, ethereal strings. The lows won’t rattle skulls either, even though it does really, really well for a BA. It’s, again, a more matter-of-fact sort of presentation. But, given the advertising, that shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. Its stage is also unexaggerated and studio-like; more near-field than PA system. Again, given the VE7’s philosophy and purpose, that’s a clear given.

VE-VE7-HF-3_S.jpg

Otherwise, though, I’m very, very impressed with I’m hearing technically. Again, imaging accuracy, stereo separation and stage tidiness are absolutely top-flight. Whenever a note inches left, right, forward or backwards, you’ll hear it with superb clarity. They’re all individually well-textured and fleshed out too. The shaker on the far-left of Nathan East’s Lifecycle, for example, sounds just as tactile as the instruments centre-stage.

I also love how much headroom there is on the in-ear. The mid aren’t pushed too much, which allows instruments to breathe, and allows for calm, calculated analysis without saturated vocals being shoved in your face. They’re nicely-full, though, which is impressive given what I said about focus and precision earlier. The highs are very well-refined too; extended with a definite edge to them. But, they never exceed the midrange, which I find crucial for reference monitors.

I compared it briefly against VE’s flagship ELYSIUM, and they’re similar in a lot of ways. The VE7 is livelier-sounding as a whole with a bit more energy in its high-mids and highs. There’s more articulation and air to them there, while the ELYSIUM is warmer and more relaxed with its stock cable. If I swapped the cable out for something more neutral, they’d be more comparable.

VE-VE7-HF-1_S.jpg

Instruments also sound more vivid on the VE7, because of that added presence. Though, the ELYSIUM still has the more sweeping, rousing mids of the two, especially with solo performances. There’s a movement and size there that the VE7 trades for its precision. Down low, the ELYSIUM has a warmer mid-bass, but the VE7 has a weightier, more solid, more palpable sub-bass.

All in all, just a couple hours or so in, I think the VE7 is a really, really promising in-ear. It fulfils its brief to a T, and it doesn’t really put a foot wrong along the way. Obviously, you gotta know your own preferences to determine whether or not it’ll be the in-ear for you. But, as a monitor that almost presents music as is - incredibly shrewd in imaging, yet without tonal cheats, coldness in timbre or dulled dynamics - I’m thinking it pretty much hits the nail on the head at the moment.

I hope you found those impressions helpful. Look out for the full review within the next couple months, and please feel free to ask any questions, as always. Cheers! :)

This one doesn't sound like it will be my preference tuning wise but man oh man is it beautiful.

May 18, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #2,532 of 5,702

VE-VE7-HF-2_S.jpg

VE-VE7-HF-3_S.jpg

VE-VE7-HF-1_S.jpg

Your insights has always been very helpful, hopefully this will be a great addition along side my VE8 & VE5:)

May 18, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #2,533 of 5,702

VE-VE7-HF-2_S.jpg

VE-VE7-HF-3_S.jpg

VE-VE7-HF-1_S.jpg

They are stunning... They sound like the complete opposite of the VE8.

May 18, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #2,534 of 5,702
Your insights has always been very helpful, hopefully this will be a great addition along side my VE8 & VE5:)
'Appreciate it, man! I hope you get to try it soon. :)

They are stunning... They sound like the complete opposite of the VE8.
Yeah, those were my exact thoughts as I was writing it. That warm, resonant, engulfing musicality is more the VE8's wheelhouse. I reckon they'd make great compliments if that's the route you're going.

May 18, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #2,535 of 5,702
It’s real. Official Vision Ears Erlkonig with custom fit. (However I don’t think it will be available for public though)
Post by Eric Yu.
A80AB04C-F570-45E5-9D62-9057EECBFE77.jpeg

Wow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back