Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Aug 30, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #1,832 of 5,702

What is new?
- The cable: The cable did not only change its colour. It is also a bit different from the original one, making the sound a bit more fresh in the high frequencies. The basic sound-signature stays untouched of course. Only available as 2.5mm balanced termination.

No mention of who made the cable, but it definitely looks like it changed from the OG​
82A656F5-2800-4C9C-85AC-5EFEA39C6976.jpeg

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #1,836 of 5,702
After owning the Erlkonig for a few weeks, I'm very happy with the sound and build quality overall, but I must make mention of the sockets.
They are extremely tight and almost all third party cables seem to stretch the sockets.

I tried a cable with Eidolic pins (so we're not talking some AliExpress cheapo) and it stretched them (I didn't shove it all the way in, I got too much resistance.) I've build several cables, all of them have issues fitting the sockets, so I've gone back to the stock cable and now it's very loose. Today while taking them out of my bag, one of the drivers fell off the (stock) cable and went flying onto the ground, it now has a fetching dent in the previously lovely silver shell.

Cable-rolling isn't generally something I engage in, there must be users out there who have done more cable-rolling than me - has anyone else had similar experiences with VE sockets and third party cables? This seems like a fairly large issue, given the possibility of losing a driver. Mine was very nearly run over by a car before I was able to retrieve it (thankfully with no damage to the sound)

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #1,837 of 5,702
After owning the Erlkonig for a few weeks, I'm very happy with the sound and build quality overall, but I must make mention of the sockets.
They are extremely tight and almost all third party cables seem to stretch the sockets.

I tried a cable with Eidolic pins (so we're not talking some AliExpress cheapo) and it stretched them (I didn't shove it all the way in, I got too much resistance.) I've build several cables, all of them have issues fitting the sockets, so I've gone back to the stock cable and now it's very loose. Today while taking them out of my bag, one of the drivers fell off the (stock) cable and went flying onto the ground, it now has a fetching dent in the previously lovely silver shell.

Cable-rolling isn't generally something I engage in, there must be users out there who have done more cable-rolling than me - has anyone else had similar experiences with VE sockets and third party cables? This seems like a fairly large issue, given the possibility of losing a driver. Mine was very nearly run over by a car before I was able to retrieve it (thankfully with no damage to the sound)

The left socket on my VE8's very loose with one of my cables but fits perfectly on Thummim.

I only have 3 aftermarket 2-pin cables and the other 2 are Eletech which still fit good.

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #1,838 of 5,702

I tried cable rolling in the first week that I got my Erlk but gave up after 2 cable swaps. It was way too tight and I felt like I was going to break something if I forced the pins in any harder. For reference, they were an Effect audio and a pw audio cable.

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #1,839 of 5,702

I had what is now your Erl, and I only managed to fit an Eletech cable in it as well. The stock cable was ultra tight and took me ages to remove safely.

I didn’t have a great experience with the Elysium’s sockets either honestly though, they became very loose very fast and I could only use it with a few cables that didn’t make the IEMs fall off all the time

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #1,841 of 5,702

Hi guys,

let me jump in for a second: There are 2 standards for the 2-pin connector with slightly different diameters of the pins/sockets:
  • 0.76 millimeters
  • 0.78 millimeters
The pins used by us are 0.78 millimeters. That means, we are already on the larger side of things. Unfortunately, we have no influence on how 3rd party cable manufacturers handle these standards or stick to it.
In general, the 2-pin connectors are not meant to swap cables every second day, as the movement you need to release it safely will always effect the tightness/looseness of the socket.
But we think it is still the best connector-standard, as it allows for a low profile without irritating the outer ear.

I hope that helps a bit.

All the best,

Johannes

Vision Ears Stay updated on Vision Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/visionears.de/ https://www.instagram.com/visionears https://vision-ears.de/ info@vision-ears.de
Sep 2, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #1,842 of 5,702
Hi guys,

let me jump in for a second: There are 2 standards for the 2-pin connector with slightly different diameters of the pins/sockets:
  • 0.76 millimeters
  • 0.78 millimeters
The pins used by us are 0.78 millimeters. That means, we are already on the larger side of things. Unfortunately, we have no influence on how 3rd party cable manufacturers handle these standards or stick to it.
In general, the 2-pin connectors are not meant to swap cables every second day, as the movement you need to release it safely will always effect the tightness/looseness of the socket.
But we think it is still the best connector-standard, as it allows for a low profile without irritating the outer ear.

I hope that helps a bit.

All the best,

Johannes
Thanks Johannes.

Oct 1, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #1,843 of 5,702
Perhaps a strange question, but: for the VE universals, what is the outer diameter of the sound pipe/ nozzle?

Oct 1, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #1,844 of 5,702
Perhaps a strange question, but: for the VE universals, what is the outer diameter of the sound pipe/ nozzle?

From Johannes when I asked him about custom tips for the ERLKöNIG:

“ The length is 5mm from tip to the edge that is meant to stop the spinfit. The diameter is 6mm. But we are using an inner diameter of 5.5mm for the Spin Fits in order to have a good grip.”

Oct 2, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #1,845 of 5,702
Grateful that finally the Elf-king has arrived. I shall call this Franken-LE :relaxed:

B636C030-F752-45F5-9D31-912695369375.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back