ViSang R03 Review: A Budget-fi Paradigm Shift
Mar 24, 2010 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
[size=small]Intro[/size]

Despite having a sponsor forum here on head-fi, VSonic is not a name that is mentioned often around here. Since the days of their last model, the R02ProII, the company has split in two and become a major OEM for many brands, including some names that should be very familiar to those who frequent the portable forum. But one of the daughter companies, ViSang, has now released a new model under their own brand name, the ViSang R03. The R03 has been on sale in Asia for several months but is only now making its worldwide debut. With VSonic’s massive experience in all aspects of earphone design behind it and retail prices well under $100, the ViSang R03 is an extremely venerable competitor and showcases exactly how far Chinese OEMs have come in the last few years.

[size=small]Packaging & Accessories: [/size]

visangr03packaging.jpg

visangr03accessories.jpg

The R03 comes in a handsome black cardboard box with a slide-out foam insert. Simple and to the point, the packaging is similar to that of Music Valley and Lear earphones. Inside the box you will find:

-3 sets (S/M/L) silicone tips
-1 set foam tips
-Shirt clip
-Clamshell carrying hardcase
-Manual and warranty card

[size=small]Appearance & Build Quality[/size]

visangr03closeup.jpg

visangr03cable.jpg

The build of the earphones is extremely impressive - cables are some of the best I've seen on a sub-$100 earphone - sturdy-feeling, fairly flexible, very low on microphonics. Though flexible, the cords have some long-term memory character, which is a two-edged sword. On the one hand, there is now a permanent kink in my cable where I loop it over my ear, which means cable guides are not at all necessary. On the other hand, those who have a tendency to leave their IEM cord coiled up without use for 2-3 weeks at a time like I do may have a hard time uncoiling this one afterwards (had to hang it off the back of my chair to get rid of the loops). The lack of a cable cinch is slightly annoying but it's not a big deal with these cables.

The aluminum housings are sturdy as well, with the black plastic trim serving a purely decorative purpose. The nozzles are outfitted with metal mesh filters and the housings feature long and flexible strain reliefs. One area that bothers me a bit is the left/right markings etched on the rear of the housings, which are extremely hard to see under sunlight. However, there is a small bump on the left-side strain relief that can be used to tell the earpieces apart by touch.

[size=small]Fit & Comfort[/size]

The R03 is a very inoffensive earphone in terms of fit. The housings are light but wearing them over-the-ear can initially be tricky because of the long strain reliefs and resistive cable. The sizable driver bulge on the housing prevents particularly deep insertion unless the stock tips are replaced with longer ones. But the R03 sounds best with a relatively shallow seal anyway, so the only potential loss is in isolation.

[size=small]Isolation & Microphonics[/size]

The isolation of the ViSang R03 is typical of a ported dynamic-driver earphone - similar to IEMs such as the Maximo iM-590 and VSonic’s aging R02ProII. With the stock silicone tips they will attenuate plenty for me to enjoy music on my daily public transport commute but they won’t mach an Etymotic earphone or my ATH-CK10.

Microphonics are fairly low in the cable. Wearing the earphones cord-down while walking is fine but I would avoid it when moving about vigorously. Wearing them over-the-ear is possible and a shirt clip is included. I wish there was a cable cinch but the lack of one is more of a pet peeve than a real complaint.

[size=small]Sound [/size]

Technical Specifications:
-Type: Dynamic Driver
-Driver Diameter: 10.7mm
-Impedance: 20Ω
-Sensitivity: 115dB @ 1mW
-Frequency Range: 20~20,000Hz
-Distortion: <= 0.3% @ 94dB
-Channel Balance <= 2dB
-Rated Input Power: 10mW
-Maximum Input Power: 40mW
-Plug: 3.5mm, straight, gold-plated (note: plug may be angled in latest version)
-Cord length: 1.3 meters, y-type

Testing Setup
[size=xx-small]All on-the-go listening was done straight from an unamped Sansa Fuze using a selection of tracks in 192-320kbps mp3 format featuring a variety of genres including different subgenres of Rock & Metal, Pop, Acoustic, Blues, Jazz, and Electronica. Benefits of a portable amp are deduced from running the earphones through a 5x gain mini3 connected to the Fuze via a vampire-wire LOD. All critical listening was done via an optical-fed iBasso D10 with stock opamps using a significantly wider selection of tracks in FLAC and Windows Media lossless formats.[/size]

Unlike many of the earphones I get my hands on, my impressions of the R03 were extremely positive right out of the box. Two things are immediately striking about their signature. The first is the clarity, which is on par with heavyweights like the Cyclone PR1 Pro, Phonak PFE, and Panasonic HJE900. The second is the bass weight. While I wouldn’t call the ViSangs bass-heavy, they certainly boast added low-end emphasis. That said, I really like the balance of these. Despite the boost, the bass is very smooth and calm. It stays completely out of the way when uncalled for and really steps up in bass-heavy tracks. The bass also has a softness and delicacy to it that is rather rare and reminds me of my Monster Turbine Pro Gold as opposed to the hard-hitting low end of earphones such as the Klipsch S4 and Panasonic HJE900. The overall tonality of the R03 leans slightly towards darkness as a result of the low-end skew but neither the midrange nor the treble suffer as a result.

The mids are beautifully positioned, front and center right where they should be, except when drums step out of line and too far forward on rare occasions. This is a positioning issue rather than a balance issue and is rarely distracting. Soundstage depth is indeed one of the few areas in which the R03 could stand improvement before it takes down some of the big players in the mid-range segment. Soundstage width is about average, around the level of the RE0, and imaging is rather good for what they cost, though they can’t quite keep up with the hologram-esque spacing of the Soundmagic PL50 and HJE900. Going back to the midrange, clarity is superb, as previously mentioned, and detail is equally impressive across the range but especially in the mids and treble.

The treble is smooth and moderately extended. It is not the focus of the presentation but instead a compliment. It is neither harsh nor bright nor sibilant. Just completely inoffensive to my ears, which makes the R03 an especially well-rounded earphone. Now, up to this point the sound of the R03 has reminded me most of a properly EQ’d Music Valley SP1, which are in my opinion hugely underrated budget earphones, usability issues aside. But the R03 also have traits that the SP1 and many others lack. They are quite fast, at least on-par with the original Monster Turbines. They are also surprisingly transparent. And lastly, they have a very natural timbre, which is something a lot of budget IEMs struggle with. But the R03 presents instruments from woodwinds to brass to electric guitars in a very dynamic and natural way and is a joy to listen to.

As a final note, though the R03 themselves do not require an amp, I did run them through a 68-ohm impedance adapter and a mini3. Together the two have effect of evening the R03 out, bringing forward the mids and treble and raising bass levels just a bit without sacrificing precision and control. Drums are less likely to misbehave with the added adapter and fine detail becomes even easier to catch.

[size=small]Conclusions[/size]

The ViSang R03 is an incredible performer - a wholesome combination of build quality, comfort, and sound at a price well south of $100. In terms of coherency of sound signature they are up there with the best sub-$100 earphones I have heard. The combination of impactful bass, clear mids, and crisp treble give the R03 a very agreeable sound. Unlike my other two favorite Chinese budget earphones, the Soundmagic PL50 and the Cyclone PR1 Pro, both close competitors to the R03 in bang/buck, the ViSangs can be enjoyed by both the audiophile and the casual listener in equal measure. And that fact alone makes them highly recommended earphones with a sound signature geared slightly towards the mainstream market compared to much of the gear talked about on head-fi. Do I personally still prefer a more analytical sound? Yes. But that does not prevent me from enjoying the R03 in the least. They are not perfect, but they are unreasonably good for what they cost. I think these may become the next big budget thing in the land of portable audio.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 67
nice writeup as always. I bet a number in here have been waiting for this review.

Those silicon tips look very similar to the sony hybrid tips I have :p The cable kinda kills it for me. I had an issue with my last iem that had that kind of memory effect on the cable and from those images there must be a whole bunch of kinks on there. Well maybe I'll wait and see the price when mp4nation has their version up for sale.

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 67
Thanks for the review, I'm waiting for them to arrive, these are my first iems, but even though I bought these without knowing much about them i felt that if I didn't buy these as quick as i have i still wouldn't have made up my mind for what iem to get. It's good to know that they sound good though...

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhitakr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these available in the U.S. yet?

R03 is being sold mostly through eBay atm. I believe Gyratech.com also has it in store. If you want to wait, MP4Nation.net will have their own version of the R03 called Brainwavz M2 by the end of next month.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to wait, MP4Nation.net will have their own version of the R03 called Brainwavz M2 by the end of next month.

ooh? Please elaborate.. will it be exactly as the R03 or will there be changes?
also, nice review. was looking forward to it
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice writeup as always. I bet a number in here have been waiting for this review.

Those silicon tips look very similar to the sony hybrid tips I have :p The cable kinda kills it for me. I had an issue with my last iem that had that kind of memory effect on the cable and from those images there must be a whole bunch of kinks on there. Well maybe I'll wait and see the price when mp4nation has their version up for sale.

The tips are hybrid knockoffs. I like them better than the generic silicone tips usually included with Chinese IEMs but not as much as real hybrids, which are a bit softer/smoother. The cable is fine for regular use; just don't leave it bent at an odd angle for several weeks
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolloLoco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent review! Can you apply the same scoring criteria you use in your multi-iem review thread, so we can see how these stack up against the others?

They will be added to the thread by the end of the week. I have not yet finalized the ratings but as of this moment they fall between the PR1 Pro and PL50 in overall score (so well within the top 20%).

Quote:

Originally Posted by rymd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ooh? Please elaborate.. will it be exactly as the R03 or will there be changes?
also, nice review. was looking forward to it
bigsmile_face.gif

There will be a long 45-degree angled 3.5mm plug rather than the straight deal on the R03. Most changes will be to the accessory set. More foam tips, some cable guides, and probably no ViSang clamshell.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #11 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
R03 is being sold mostly through eBay atm. I believe Gyratech.com also has it in store. If you want to wait, MP4Nation.net will have their own version of the R03 called Brainwavz M2 by the end of next month.

Cool, thanks for the info. Somehow I had not made the connection that the R03 and the Brainwavz M2 were one-in-the-same. Will be interesting to see how they are priced... hopefully sub-$50.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There will be a long 45-degree angled 3.5mm plug rather than the straight deal on the R03. Most changes will be to the accessory set. More foam tips, some cable guides, and probably no ViSang clamshell.

I do believe there will be a similar hard case as well as a soft pouch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back