Virus
Nov 8, 2002 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
Does anyone know anything about getting rid of a virus. I cannot launch Explorer through the normal means (Toolbar, shortcut, etc.). I also can no longer access my address book nor can I open mail in Outlook Express. Whenever I start my stupid computer a window opens for a file c:\\startup\program\kak.hta, I think "kak" is a virus.

I have reinstalled IE and OE, ran Norton Anti Virus, but nothing works. Still cannot open IE or mail in OE.

Also, I have my homepage set to Google. But now when I go into Internet Options, Google isn't there. Just a bunch of strange characters, and when I reset to Google, it doesn't save the site.

Help!?
frown.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 21
Ouchies. I've only gotten a virus three times, all of them from my own stupidity:
a) I said "OK" when offered a .vbs file via DCC file transfer in IRC.

b) I had configured Outlook Express at school so I could check email (before my ISP put up a web interface), and accidentally infected the terminal I was on with Nimda.

c) I downloaded a file with the name "pink floyd - welcome to the machine.mp3.exe" from KaZaa Lite.

I now don't accept DCC files unless I know what they are, use Mozilla Mail, and watch my file extensions.

But running Outlook Express is just ASKING for a virus. No matter HOW many virus scanners you have. Read this: http://www.satirewire.com/news/0103/outlook.shtml

Nov 8, 2002 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 21
HI: SIR. Go to techtv.com and go to virus and chose your virus and they will get rid of it. Good luck
PS
This is free

Nov 9, 2002 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 21
Your Norton should do the job. Make sure that your definition files are up to date and then run a complete file system scan. This is normally a manual operation as it takes a while. I have my PC set up to run these types of activities late at night.

Nov 9, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Go to techtv.com and go to virus and chose your virus and they will get rid of it. Good luck
PS
This is free

Or........go to the store, and buy an iMac. This will get rid of your virus, and you most likely will never encounter another one. I never have.
PS
This is not free.
tongue.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 8:16 AM Post #11 of 21
Don't know of any perfect virus solution.

I use Norton/Symantac Antivirus. Love it. It automatically updates on the net when I start computer.

It has caught many virus' in email. It scans email before Outlook Express gets the mail.

So far, so good.

I also use Adaware. www.lavasoft.de . Another essential program, this time for free.

Nov 13, 2002 at 8:37 AM Post #12 of 21
I have found Norton AV to be faultless since installing it. the newer versions scan both incoming and outgoing mails for viruses, a big plus in my book.

I whole heartedly concur with others' opinions here about keeping things up to date!! This is crucial when one surfs the internet a lot. There are so many people out there who delight in causing havic on your computer for kicks. It all fun and games until it affects YOU!! When my father-in-laws computer was wiped out due to a virus attack it took me nearly 12 hours to get everything re-installed, debugged, and working properly!! I DON'T want to do that again so I made him buy Norton SystemWorks 2002 and have it set to auto-update itseld so he doesn't forget when I leave for the next two years!!!

Nov 13, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #13 of 21
Thanks for all of the suggestions. With Akar's help/link I got rid of the worm. He also suggested that all of the old e-mails be dumped, which I did. I do have Norton's installed and have Live Update set to run automatically. It's possible that I got the virus prior to purchasing NAV.

Maybe I ought to take joelongwood's suggestion and get a MAC.

Nov 13, 2002 at 3:44 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
Or........go to the store, and buy an iMac. This will get rid of your virus, and you most likely will never encounter another one. I never have.
PS
This is not free.
tongue.gif

You may be infected right now. There's no shortage of Mac viruses to go around, and related protection software.

There are but two ways to stay immune from these threats:

1. Get computer literate, use a complete suite of anti-virus, firewall, and spyware sniffing software, not to forget a healthy dose of common sense.

2. Drop computers period. Viruses and exploits exist for every OS in existence.

Norton AntiVirus is the market leader, and is 100% effective when kept up to date, and Auto-Protect and email scanning are enabled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back