Virus hiding in the forums waiting to attack your computer
Jun 6, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #31 of 43
Correct.  IME a person who at least mostly knows what they're doing has absolutely no need for HijackThis.  Safe Mode, msconfig, the programs / utils i listed above, and probably Spybot if there's a bunch of resident crap running on startup outside of msconfig's scope.  fin

Quote:

Yes, and that's why you'd get the log and post it online, such as my previous suggestion.  I'd take a look at it, and try to find something wrong.

Quote:

Yup. Its a useful tool for persistent nasties, but you pretty much have to know or have a hunch what is suspicious.

Jun 6, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:
Correct.  IME a person who at least mostly knows what they're doing has absolutely no need for HijackThis.  Safe Mode, msconfig, the programs / utils i listed above, and probably Spybot if there's a bunch of resident crap running on startup outside of msconfig's scope.  fin

Quote:
Quote:

I'm a power-user myself, and I still like HijackThis if I'm working on a computer were there's a virus I have never seen/experienced.  It can allow you to easily track down running processes and associated registry entries.

msconfig will blow the average users mind.  <_<  I've seen it happen in person.  "WHAT ARE YOU DOING, HACKING MY COMPUTERS INSIDES?"  lulz

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #33 of 43
Hmmmm, good point.  You win :D  I'll take HJT for a spin next time I see something crazy.  Let's hope I don't, but we know that's being overly hopeful :p

Quote:
I'm a power-user myself, and I still like HijackThis if I'm working on a computer were there's a virus I have never seen/experienced.  It can allow you to easily track down running processes and associated registry entries.

msconfig will blow the average users mind.  <_<  I've seen it happen in person.  "WHAT ARE YOU DOING, HACKING MY COMPUTERS INSIDES?"  lulz

Jun 11, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #36 of 43
Even worse is if you have conspiracy theorists for customers... 1 woman I was repairing the computer for at her company accused me of "exploiting" her computers so our tech support could earn more business that way if their systems keep failing/malfunctioning. At least you can explain to paranoid people what you're doing lol

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #37 of 43
At least you didn't tell her about Blue Pill.

Quote:
Even worse is if you have conspiracy theorists for customers... 1 woman I was repairing the computer for at her company accused me of "exploiting" her computers so our tech support could earn more business that way if their systems keep failing/malfunctioning. At least you can explain to paranoid people what you're doing lol

Aug 20, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #39 of 43
Aug 21, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #40 of 43
Thanks for the warning!
I have disabled my internet connection.    ...or maybe not.
etysmile.gif

Seriously, I have never seen any such pop-up in here.

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #41 of 43
I got Cyberdefender antivirus software, and it had a pop-up come up while on this site.

After a minute I figured out what really happened was that I had a couple of tabs open in my browser, and it took a minute to realize that it was from this blog I had opened just before in another tab.

This could be what started this thread in the first place.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #42 of 43
It really doesn't matter what website your on, viruses can parade around all through the interwebz... any website could host one, especially if the virus is pretty advanced. I recommend using a good somewhat unknown antivirus that has good virus detection ratings (like Antivir) or a non windows based OS that isn't as susceptible to viruses and such (like Ubuntu). Also, using an internet browser other than IE, such as Firefox or Chrome, will help avoid viruses and the like from infecting your computer. Just FYI
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

Users who are viewing this thread

Back