Virtual Dynamics cable questions
Nov 13, 2002 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

freethetree

100+ Head-Fier
Im thinking about going with Virtual Dynamics for my interconnect, digital cable, and maybe power cords given all the rave reviews ive read. I would like to go all Nite but theyre way too big and heavy. So heres my question: If I go for the VDs (why is that still funny) how heavy and bendable would the Signatures be? Im thinking 1/2 meter lengths. And is it worth spending a little more for the Signatures than the References? Any personal expeience with either series would be much appreciated.

Nov 13, 2002 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 9
I currently have the Reference ICs, and have a pair of Signatures on the way. I'll be happy to compare them and let you know what I think if I don't sell the References in the meantime!!! I wanted to upgrade and keep all my stuff in the same series, and if it weren't for that I would NEVER sell the Reference ICs!! They are just smooth and detailed sounding, even in my somewhat humble system.

I can't say for sure, but I believe that once you pass the Audition series power cables or ICs they are all pretty much the same weight and stiffness. (Someone correct me if I'm way off here, but from what I have read this is true.)

Nov 13, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 9
freethetree,
I'd consider going with the power cords first, then the ICs. I've found the power cords (contrary to reason and my own expectation) make an even bigger impact than the ICs. Something to consider.

Somehere in that long thread, you'll find a little chart I made that quantified the differences between the VD power cords I've tried visually, that should help.

I have a pair of reference cryo ICs 1 meter and they are much more manageable than the power cords, but they're still much stiffer and more substantial than other ICs (oh yeah, they sound much better, too). I'd reco going with 1 meter to give you more leeway to snake them around, plus you never know when you're going to change your rack, and your 1/2 meter cables may no longer be long enough (this happened to me once).

What's your associated equipment, BTW, and which have detachable power cords?

If I'm feeling ambitious later, I think I'll maybe comb through that thread and extract the reviews of the various cables. There's a lot of side-discussion in there that while fun for the participants maybe makes it hard for people to sort through.

Mark

Nov 13, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks Mark! I'm sure many people would appreciate a streamlines reading of those hundreds of posts!! I need to post a review of the power cables once I compare them to the stock units. So far all I've listened to is the VDs, so I'll need to replace them with the stock units and see what happens now that I'm really used to the sound.

FreetheTree: I also find that these ICs actually can put less strain on the RCA jacks as they really hold their place well due to the stiffness and rigidity they have. This can be used to your advantage: pre-bend the IC so that it touches something in-between the two components and it'll take all the strain off the RCA jacks and put it into the rack/table/whatever. Or just put something small under the cable to lift it up slightly, old unused CD crystals will do the trick, to take the strain and weight off.

Nov 13, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 9
markl - Well id have to get the ICs too since I dont have any right now and im looking to set this up as quick as possible. As for the half meter lengths I thought that would be best because I dont use a rack and all the components will be sitting next to each other, plus space is at a minimum since come next year these would be being used in a semi mobile setting and the entire system would be living in a big pelican case when not in use (ics plugged in and connected). I guess I could go with the meter lengths given VD doesnt charge much of a premium over the 1/2 meters and circle up the excess but that seems kind of unnecessary.

I stared reading that crazy thread but it seemed to go on forever.

My associated equipment would be some sort of power filter (possibly a regenerator) into a NEC MultiSpin CDROM drive w/caddy, into a 47 Laboratory DAC, into an EAR HP4 (99% sure on this).

ServinginEcuador - Good call on the bending thing. I could make a "U" type shape inbetween dac and transport to take the stress off the jacks.

Id like to get the OTA cable kit but ive heard its quite fragile and I dont really trust that fishing string for the digital ic or power cables.

Other options ive been considering are:

Cardas Golden Reference/Lightning 15/Golden Reference, but the ics look like theyd be as big and heavy as the VDs so theyd have to sound better for me to consider em.

PN Epsilon References/__ /PN Sigma, theyre thinner but I have a feeling the woven alloy jacket might offset any weight benifits the thinness brought. Plus PN doesnt make digital cables and id like to go with one brand for all the wires.

Audience AU24s/Au24/PowerChord, these look like theyd be the perfect size and weight (cable with jacket is about as thick as the prong on an rca plug). Not as pretty as the VDs or PNs but ergonomically make the most sense.

Size is somewhat important as for storage (no Nites or PAD cables) but the weight is what really concerns me. The 47 Labs DAC was designed to be used with the OTA cable kit with its feather weight plastic RCA jacks and super thin cable and ive read one review where the reviewer used really big/heavy cables which were pulling the DAC up on its end and with all the plugging/unplugging he did testing it one of the jacks actually broke. Obviously I would like to avoid this.

Nov 13, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

As for the half meter lengths I thought that would be best because I dont use a rack and all the components will be sitting next to each other, plus space is at a minimum since come next year these would be being used in a semi mobile setting and the entire system would be living in a big pelican case when not in use (ics plugged in and connected).

How many times in your life are you going to buy a $1000+ cable? Probably only once. How many times in your life will you move and change your rack? probably a number of times. I'd still say go with the 1M length cause you just never know.

I see that VD has a sale on on the Signature cables ($500 for a Signature, down from $1000, and $1000 for a Nite down from $1500). Does that influence your decision? If you can do an all-Nite package, then by all means go for it! In my system, the Nite Power Cord was substantially better than the Signature cord, more than you'd expect just from going up to the next level in a manufacturers line.

I currently have a Nite on my source (VD recos the better cable go on the source rather than the amp) and a Signature on my amp. I have reference IC's in between them. I am a happy camper.

Again, depending on budget, I'd actually advise spending more on Power cords than ICs-- I know that sounds insane.

Quote:

My associated equipment would be some sort of power filter (possibly a regenerator)

VD recos putting their cords straight into the wall. That said, I need surge supression and so I have mine plugged into a Monster PB1100 ($200) power conditioner/surge protector. All my raving about VD cords has been with them stuck into the Monster. A good combo. I know Monster has a bad rep for its cables with good reason, but their power products were designed by Richard Marsh and are the real deal. A bargain.

Mark

Nov 15, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 9
Thats true, after I settle in with this system up I dont plan on changing anything (except for maybe trying out new headphones) for quite some time. I dont dont like the build and upgrade little by little approach. Its way too time and mind consuming for me, I have better things to think about than audio goods. All I want is beautiful sound to fill in the time between seeing live music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ive never had a need for a system rack yet, but I guess a buncha years down the road when I have a permanent residence and can set up some speakers ill be getting one.

Yep I know, was basing this decision on those prices. While I guess I could go for an all Nite setup, the ICs are too big and heavy for me to even consider and although the PCs are a possibility, add 4 of those onto the price of the HP4 and wed be getting close to the price of my true sonic love, the DCT-2. Thinking like that could get me in trouble because I wouldnt have the space for it and that thing is a hell of a lot of money.

Since all the cables I was considering have some sort of audition period I may just buy them all and do a dank cable shoot out. *Does some math*... Crap, thats over $15,000 in cables. Im gonna need to buy multiple packs of post it notes notes and leave myself reminders everywhere about when each audition period is up so I dont get stuck with the bill if I decide to do this.

Ill be using a surge protector for now, this stuff is just too expensive to risk plugging it directly into the wall. By next year im gonna have no choice but to use some kind of conditioner or regenerator since the system will be running off of inverted dc power which apparently doesnt sound so nice.

Nov 15, 2002 at 7:48 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by freethetree
I dont dont like the build and upgrade little by little approach. Its way too time and mind consuming for me, I have better things to think about than audio goods. All I want is beautiful sound to fill in the time between seeing live music.
smily_headphones1.gif

All I can say to that is amen brother!!! I talked about my car stereo upgrade path, in another post, when I did this and spent some $2000 more by going a little at a time, then upgrading, three times! I also wasted many a day having it installed every time!! Save a little money, spend a little more, and get what you really want so you don't lose money buying and selling stuff at a loss each time!! I am not saying not to buy anything until you can afford an R10 or Orpheus!! But if a new W100 or W1000 or whatever is out of reach right now, maybe waiting and buying it a little later will make it cheaper and better in the long run!!!

Throwin' in my .02 again!!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back